PG Music Home
Posted By: paulpaul bb to mixcraft and back - 03/20/18 06:07 AM
hello

scenario
insert chords into bb pick style(which happens to be all midi except drums.

click master button to copy all tracks to midi in the drag drop area of bb

green light on midi option saying its copied all except drums.

drag the copied midi to mixcraft
next i edit the midi tracks in mixcraft........once edited how do i get my midi tracks back to the song i already have open in bb .

this is what i tried...
select all in mixcraft and then tried to drag and drop back into the bb drag drop area......it didnt work.
any tips advice please.

Attached File
midi to midi.jpg  (5 downloads)
Posted By: Noel96 Re: bb to mixcraft and back - 03/20/18 07:52 AM
Paul,

When you load a midi into BIAB, it will load as a multi-channel midi file on either the Melody track or the Soloist track the choice is yours.

It's not possible to load edited midi files back into the other BIAB tracks. These are reserved exclusively for BIAB to create backings on.

If you want to keep the BIAB-reserved tracks in place, you'll need to edit the tracks in BIAB and then freeze them.

Realband (if you have the Windows version of BIAB, Realband will already be installed) might be the way to go for you. This has all the backing generating ability of BIAB but is more like a DAW when it comes to working with files.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: jford Re: bb to mixcraft and back - 03/20/18 11:34 AM
The tracks you generated in BIAB are based on the style you selected. While possible (it's a multi-step process), BIAB isn't designed to re-import modified MIDI back into the original tracks, because again, they are based on being (re-)generated from the style each time you play the song unless they are frozen.

The best you can do is one of two things:

1) Export the MIDI from Mixcraft to a type-1 MIDI file and import it to the melody track in BIAB. It will become a multi-channel melody track and the only way to access the various channels is to use the BIAB Sequencer feature, which provides limited editing capability. You would then need to de-activate the style, otherwise you'll get doubling up of instruments from the MIDI tracks and the style generated tracks.

2) Again, export from Mixcraft and import into the melody track of BIAB, and then move each part to its respective track one-by-one using the "Copy/Move Tracks" command, then freeze that track (before you hit play; otherwise you'll lose it). This is cumbersome to do.

I would suggest that once you have it in MixCraft, why would you not just continue working with it there? You'll have a lot more features at your fingertips to make it sound great.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: bb to mixcraft and back - 03/21/18 05:06 PM
<<< ... "Copy/Move Tracks" command... >>>

Where is this command located please?
Posted By: jford Re: bb to mixcraft and back - 03/21/18 05:09 PM
I'm not in front of my music computer, but per the BIAB 2017 user manual, look under Edit, Copy Special to open the Track-to-Track Copy/Move/Delete dialog.

It should look like this:

Attached picture Track-to-Track Copy-Move-Delete.jpg
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: bb to mixcraft and back - 03/22/18 12:17 AM
That's where it is. Thanks.
Posted By: paulpaul Re: bb to mixcraft and back - 03/22/18 03:16 AM
Noel,John

many thanks for the info and your time
Posted By: Noel96 Re: bb to mixcraft and back - 03/22/18 03:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
<<< ... "Copy/Move Tracks" command... >>>

Where is this command located please?

That's a great idea Charlie! Load the midi and then use the copy/move. It didn't occur to me. Glad picked it up.

Noel
© PG Music Forums