PG Music Home
Hi,

Why would the BIAB program hang Windows 7 when I click on print from the Leadsheet screen? This never happened before. I am using Audiophile 2018 (513). I am almost certain that I did use print before with this version since installing it in January, but don't remember for sure; I usually export to XML.

The program hangs and clicking anywhere on screen just gives the Windows default beep. BIAB stays on top, even when starting other programs. The only way to get the system running again is to open task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and end the "bbw32.exe" process. This happens anytime from the program start, even with no file open.

Help!
Dan

Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB Program Hangs on print - 04/13/18 12:52 PM
Dan I had a similar problem. I have three computers with BiaB installed. On one of them when I clicked on the notation screen print the system freeze and the only way out was a complete reboot, however on the other two all was fine. Note that this computer as well as another were Win 7 upgrades to Win 10 Pro. After the latest Win 10 update now all is fine.

All I can say that is your Win 7 up to date?

Good luck.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: BIAB Program Hangs on print - 04/13/18 01:27 PM
Reset your control panel default printer setting.

Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago. My default printer is a B&W laser printer even though I print to pdf more than print to pdf. My computer would hang up every time I would try to print. I finally noticed the pop-up printer window was for a pdf printer application instead of the default printer.

Everything started working correctly after I selected the default laser printer as default once more and applied the setting.
Posted By: jford Re: BIAB Program Hangs on print - 04/13/18 02:58 PM
If you default to a PDF print driver, sometimes the PDF interface screen (where you give it the file name and what-not) gets hidden behind the main window, which effectively looks like BIAB is locked up.

Sometimes Alt-Tab can take you to that screen, but not always. Sometimes clicking on the icon in the quick launch area can also bring it to the forefront.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB Program Hangs on print - 04/13/18 03:03 PM
Hi Dan,

The first thing that I'd try is to see what happens when BIAB is started in "Run as administrator" mode.

To do this...

1. Right click on the start-up shorct-cut.

2. From the menu that appears, select "Run as administrator".

This will start BIAB in "Run as admin" mode. It's different from logging in to Windows as administrator.

Does the problem still exist?

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: madoues Re: BIAB Program Hangs on print - 04/13/18 04:22 PM
OK, changing the default printer made no difference. BTW, there are only pdf printer drivers on this computer; i.e. no physical printers. Also, the computer is offline, not connected to any network.

jford, you were right. The print window was hidden behind the Leadsheet window, which results in the problem being different. For some reason the Leadsheet window stays on top even by clicking on the print window. And the print window itself can only be accessed if the Leadsheet window is not maximized when invoked. If maximized, only Ctrl-Alt-Del/End process will work to get back to a usable computer. If it is not maximized, it can be moved and resized to give access to the print window. ????!!!

Same thing with the Options button and memo button on the Leadsheet window. As a matter of fact, it's the same for any other programs running, the Leadsheet window refuses to handover it'S "Stay On Top" status. Finally I guess that is the problem, it has nothing to do with print.

I will edit the title of my post to reflect this and also do more testing.

Dan
Posted By: madoues Re: BIAB Program Hangs on print - 04/13/18 04:42 PM
OK, I found out what the problem was.

DAW mode was left on in BIAB. Turned DAW mode off and everything is back to normal.

That maybe something to look at improving in the future.
Stay on top almost needs to be "on" when using DAW mode, but if you forget DAW mode "on" and go back to standalone, it can be confusing.

Should the options window of DAW mode include a "reset" on program shutdown; at least the "stay on Top" part?

Thanks for the replies, it got me through this.

Dan
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB Program Hangs on print - 04/13/18 06:45 PM
Glad you got it running Dan. The issue with the DAW mode has been reported before. It should be more obvious, and possibly not return to that setting upon restart if the program was closed down in DAW mode.
Posted By: madoues Re: BIAB Program Hangs on print - 04/13/18 07:13 PM
This also means if a user has "stay on Top" in DAW mode, it is difficult to print. In all fairness, that may not be a time someone would need to print, but then who knows?

When a program is staying on top, it seems to me all it's sub-windows (smaller windows invoked by this program) should appear on top of that main window for a program to function properly.

I guess there is at least a minor bug in there somewhere.

Ok, now it's back to my project time. Cheers...

Dan
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB Program Hangs on print - 04/13/18 07:50 PM
Yes, Dan, we have reported this and suggested a better indicator when DAW Mode is on.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: BIAB Program Hangs on print - 04/13/18 11:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Yes, Dan, we have reported this and suggested a better indicator when DAW Mode is on.

Perhaps a letter box located on the line below the top right standard window controls with the words "DAW MODE" flashing on and off inside the box. See mock up below.

Attached picture Daw Mode.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB Program Hangs on print - 04/14/18 01:07 AM
Works for me, Jim. Maybe without continued blinking.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB Program Hangs on print - 04/14/18 01:59 AM
Yes, it needs something to show that DAW mode is running. A while back I had originally suggested a color highlight option when the DAW button was pressed.

Attached picture 2018-03-04_22-19-52.jpg
© PG Music Forums