PG Music Home
Posted By: Frank Alves F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/16/18 06:05 PM
My F5 window has been taking longer and longer to open. It's up to about 20 seconds now. Has anyone else experience this?

Thanks!

Frank
Posted By: Noel96 Re: F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/16/18 06:18 PM
Frank,

My F5 opens quickly (0.5 - 1.0 second) but I have a reasonably fast computer and that would impact on it.

Does it also take around 20 secs if you right-click on the chord sheet and then click "Bar Settings" (rather than use F5)?

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/16/18 09:29 PM
Frank, I’ve never heard of this. Couple of thoughts besides Noel’s:

What version and build of BIAB is this, and what version of Windows?

You said it’s getting worse. When did that start, and what changed?

Does your hard drive have less than 15% free space?

What antivirus do you use?

Have you checked Task Manager? Sometimes when I boot up, my very fast PC turns to molasses as Windows, Adobe, iTunes and Malwarebytes etc. all decide to download updates! Or if a program is stuck hogging the CPU, you’ll see it in Task Manager. Even BIAB can be open in another instance and be running in a window hidden behind etc.
Posted By: Frank Alves Re: F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/17/18 12:20 PM
Thanks guys.

To answer Noel: Yes it does.

To answer Matt: I'm running BIAB 2018 and Windows 10.

It really started running slow the last few days.

I have a brand new computer with plenty of speed and space.

My anti-virus is Windows Essentials.

The funny thing is, it was doing this on my old computer. I thought it was the computer, and it did stop once I got the new computer.

Now it's back???
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/17/18 12:57 PM
Is it possible the issue might be song file (SGU/MGU) related due to a corrupted song file? Did this start after working on a particular song project?

Go to (BiaB 2018) Options > Save Preferences to save your settings

Then Options > Return to Factory Settings ... to reset the program.

Open the program, create and save a small chord sheet. Press F5; is it slow to open? If not

Then load several recent song project files and test F5 to see if you can determine which one is corrupted.

If F5 is slow to open after reset to factory settings then I'm out of ideas.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/17/18 12:58 PM
Ok.

What build? Try reinstalling that. Or did it precede your current build?

And try Return to Factory Settings whenever things are weird like this.
Posted By: jford Re: F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/17/18 12:59 PM
If you feel okay doing so, I would try to exclude your BIAB folder from your anti-virus scanner. Also, make sure you are running BIAB as administrator (which is different than being logged in as an administrator or administrator-equivalence account). And of course, return to factory defaults doesn't hurt (although make sure you know your settings as you will have to reset them).
Posted By: Frank Alves Re: F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/17/18 01:14 PM
Thanks everyone!

All very good suggestions.

I'll start by updating to build 513, I'm at 510. And yes John, I do run BIAB as administrator. How would I go about excluding my BIAB folder from my anti-virus scanner?

Thanks again.

Frank
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/17/18 01:46 PM
Frank, all that I've used have a place in basic or advanced settings where you can add a list of excluded directory folders and files. Some antivirus program have you type in the directory path but most have a browse button to create the path for you.

As an example I use Microsoft Security Essentials. A screenshot is given below.

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: jford Re: F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/17/18 02:31 PM
Quote:
How would I go about excluding my BIAB folder from my anti-virus scanner?

What Jim said. They all do it a little differently, but the concept is the same among all of them and it should be pretty easy to find the exclusion lists.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/17/18 09:44 PM
Hey Frank, they just released build 516. Get that. I’ve found it to be very stable.
Posted By: Frank Alves Re: F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/18/18 03:40 PM
Problem solved thanks to Mike at Tech Support!

It had to do with my power settings on my computer. I had the HP recommended setting, which apparently will draw down power from your CPU at times and cause some things to run slow. Mike had me switch to High Performance, which worked.

I hope this might help others if they encounter similar issues.

Thanks again to everyone.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/18/18 03:50 PM
Interesting that this would occur every time for you, since the power options only kick in when the CPU hasn’t been used recently.

Yes, this is a good reminder for anyone running a music program on a Windows PC. If you have a laptop, I can see using some power options to save battery life, but on a desktop, all the options should be set to full power always on.

I used to make at least a dozen tweaks to Windows on each new PC. Now the only one is to fix the default power options.
Posted By: jford Re: F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/18/18 04:01 PM
My laptop lets me set two options - one for when using wall power and another when using battery. I keep my wall power settings on maximum and generally have no problems. One of the items to check on is the USB Hub power settings. When they go to sleep, you can have external drives fall away, as well as USB audio devices. Once I changes the setting to NEVER turn off, those problems went away.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/18/18 05:16 PM
Frank,

Thanks for letting us know the solution. That's an unusual one to come across here on the forums.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/18/18 07:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Frank,

Thanks for letting us know the solution. That's an unusual one to come across here on the forums.

Regards,
Noel

I concur. I’m still skeptical because of how specific it is that everything else worked OK except F5. But if it works now, I’m happy too.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: F5 Window Takes a Long Time to Open - 04/19/18 03:17 AM
Originally Posted By: jford
My laptop lets me set two options - one for when using wall power and another when using battery. I keep my wall power settings on maximum and generally have no problems. One of the items to check on is the USB Hub power settings. When they go to sleep, you can have external drives fall away, as well as USB audio devices. Once I changes the setting to NEVER turn off, those problems went away.

I found after about 3 months of dropouts and stuttering problems with my USB interface that the cause was that after each bootup, the USB power off management HUB settings, but only for my expensive Freslogic PCIe card, were activated again, after first switching them off manually in Device Manager.

The 'aftermaket' latest drivers from Freslogic were the problem. Solution: Uninstalled all from Device Manager, also forcing the drivers from Freslogic to be deleted, and let Windows 10 ITSELF install their Microsoft standard Freslogic USB driver. Compliments for Microsoft ... they work OK ! F
© PG Music Forums