PG Music Home
Posted By: Johnnyg unable to write file to disk - 07/25/18 12:42 AM
Hi,

Anyone seen this before? Solution?

Unable to write file to disk, Either file is read only or bad file Name
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: unable to write file to disk - 07/25/18 05:51 AM
You are not very clear what, where, how an when .... LoL, but i would run checkdisk if you're on windows, fix errors. F
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: unable to write file to disk - 07/25/18 09:13 AM
Need more info. But if you tried to save a file name containing invalid characters it would act like that.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: unable to write file to disk - 07/25/18 10:07 AM
Johnny,

I wonder if the file in question is one of the settings files.

As a test, try this...

1. close BIAB

2. Right-click on the startup short-cut you use to start BIAB and select "Run as administrator"

3. If Windows asks you to give permission, select "yes or ok"

4. Now repeat what caused the issue and see if the problem still occurs.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: jford Re: unable to write file to disk - 07/25/18 10:31 AM
Also, make sure you are not too deep into a folder tree worth an extremely long filename. Windows does have a limit.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: unable to write file to disk - 07/25/18 02:07 PM
Boy, that one is obscure, John. Isn’t it 128? But, good idea.
Posted By: jford Re: unable to write file to disk - 07/25/18 05:26 PM
It's actually 260 characters (path plus the filename). It used to be lower than that, but that was many years ago. I actually found the bug in RealBand/PowerTracks 2018 (and every previous version), where "save as" was using the old limit, which wreaked havoc on saving files. Jeff fixed it for 2018 and now I don't have the problem, because it's harder to get to 260 characters, but it is doable.

"c:\Users\MyEmailName@gmail.com\Documents\MyData\Tunes\MyTunes\MySongbooks\Popular Songbook\T\Take Me Out To The Ballgame [Various Artists]\Source\Take Me Out To The Ballgame [Various Artists] (John background vocal take 1 2018-07-25).wav" is 220 characters.

Probably not going to get to 260 easily, but again, even though difficult to get there, you can see that depending upon how you manage your files and folders, it can happen.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: unable to write file to disk - 07/25/18 05:34 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
It's actually 260 characters (path plus the filename). It used to be lower than that, but that was many years ago. I actually found the bug in RealBand/PowerTracks 2018 (and every previous version), where "save as" was using the old limit, which wreaked havoc on saving files. Jeff fixed it for 2018 and now I don't have the problem, because it's harder to get to 260 characters, but it is doable.

"c:\Users\MyEmailName@gmail.com\Documents\MyData\Tunes\MyTunes\MySongbooks\Popular Songbook\T\Take Me Out To The Ballgame [Various Artists]\Source\Take Me Out To The Ballgame [Various Artists] (John background vocal take 1 2018-07-25).wav" is 220 characters.

Probably not going to get to 260 easily, but again, even though difficult to get there, you can see that depending upon how you manage your files and folders, it can happen.
Ever dived into the 'C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\ ..... etc' folder LoL? F
Posted By: jford Re: unable to write file to disk - 07/27/18 03:52 PM
I have seen that happen. It usually occurs if you try to copy a junction folder, which is a pointer to another folder. So it gets to the junction folder, which then copies the contents of the junction folder, which inadvertently includes a junction folder, and it just keeps repeating until you run out of file character space.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: unable to write file to disk - 07/27/18 04:43 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
I have seen that happen. It usually occurs if you try to copy a junction folder, which is a pointer to another folder. So it gets to the junction folder, which then copies the contents of the junction folder, which inadvertently includes a junction folder, and it just keeps repeating until you run out of file character space.
Huh? Got kind of used to that thinking 'oh, well, must be some natural windows thing'. Is this fixable?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: unable to write file to disk - 07/27/18 04:55 PM
Presuming the the Junction folder mentioned is a Symbolic Link, you would have had to create it deliberately. I don't think Windows would create one for you.

They are created with the mklink command.

I know I use them to shorten the size (length) of the Windows Path on one of my systems.
Posted By: CoolBreeze Re: unable to write file to disk - 07/27/18 08:44 PM
I saw this problem when I ran out of space on my external drive where I was running the program.

I even posted an issue about it because I thought it should have been using the internal drive to render the audio files.

I'll have to look back, but I'm pretty sure that was the exact error I got.

Edit: I see that I didn't mention the exact error, but did make a comment about the issue.
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=68360&Number=467213#Post467213
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: unable to write file to disk - 07/28/18 04:37 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Presuming the the Junction folder mentioned is a Symbolic Link, you would have had to create it deliberately. I don't think Windows would create one for you.

Read somewhere that this is supposed to be a permissions issue when it happens .....

Now where does the AppData folder really belong in Windows 10?
I found it with %AppData% in search to be both in C:\Users\Administrator\ and C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming.
Also a 'normal behaving' Application Data folder in C:\Users\Administrator\

Always thought both belong in C:\ProgramData .... on my system there's no AppData folder in there, only the infamous C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data ... etc thing. Can one just delete that?

PS found something i don't really understand here: https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/115149-stop-application-data-folder-replicating.html

There's a link on a cleanup utility called JunctionBox .... anyone used it? - F
Posted By: jford Re: unable to write file to disk - 07/28/18 10:21 AM
I discovered this when using Robocopy. I think there is a switch (xj) to exclude junctions from copying. Instead, I copy directly from the junctioned folder.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: unable to write file to disk - 07/29/18 03:32 AM
Never tried it, but i use TeraCopy most, or (free) FastCopy, which has a less friendly interface, but works well too. The latter is quite old, still version 2.11, but seemingly still the best?: copy software comparison

PS Just ran JunctionBox 2.01 on my win10 64bit .. Works like a charm, all those idiotic junctions are gone. F
© PG Music Forums