PG Music Home
Posted By: 2bSolo Real Tracks and pushes - 08/07/18 02:03 PM
Is there a way to tell which RT's play pushes?

I find some don't at all, others try and fail miserably, occasionally one works.

I have the box checked for pushes but that doesn't help.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Real Tracks and pushes - 08/07/18 04:01 PM
I recall there is a setting to ignore pushes in middle choruses. Is that possibly what you are hearing? EDIT: I take that back; I think that might be a Wishlist item.

I have not come across what you are describing, but I only work in jazz and Latin genres. How about giving us some RealTrack numbers so we can reproduce what you are getting?

Also, are you sure you have a full installation? The pushes, shots and holds are separate files. Without them, it might sound like what you hear.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Real Tracks and pushes - 08/07/18 04:48 PM
I think the the Pushes just play a hold earlier. So whatever hold the realtrack is set to.
Click on the Soloist Button then follow the pic:

Attached picture BB_Holds_Set.png
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Real Tracks and pushes - 08/07/18 05:19 PM
Type "pushes" in the style search box and Biab will list styles that have pushes in them.

Trax
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Real Tracks and pushes - 08/07/18 05:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
I think the the Pushes just play a hold earlier.

I did not know that. Thank you. It makes sense, but do you have a source for this info?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Real Tracks and pushes - 08/07/18 05:24 PM
2bsolo, did you check Options, Preferences, Arrange? Is that the checkbox you referred to, the one that says Allow Any Pushes?
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Real Tracks and pushes - 08/07/18 09:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I think the the Pushes just play a hold earlier.

I did not know that. Thank you. It makes sense, but do you have a source for this info?

Just > Soloist > Open Soloist Dialog > All RealTracks > Choose track number > Soloist Maker Edit > More > change hold number (remember the original number !)
Now add some pushes and generate.

Change it back to the original hold number !!!
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Real Tracks and pushes - 08/07/18 09:34 PM
You will see what pushes it's using in the Holds column.

X:\bb\RealTracks\Library\Holds
X:\bb\RealTracks\Direct Input\Library\Holds

Attached picture BB_Holds.png
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Real Tracks and pushes - 08/07/18 09:54 PM
2bsolo,

As long as a RealTrack supports holds (most do now), pushes really should work. If you run into a RealTrack that supports holds (there'll be a number in the Holds column) but won't push, feel free to freeze the tracks in the song file and send it to support@pgmusic.com for testing.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: Real Tracks and pushes - 08/08/18 12:42 PM
Yes, that's the box I checked.
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: Real Tracks and pushes - 08/08/18 12:49 PM
Thanks, Trax. That narrows it down.
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: Real Tracks and pushes - 08/08/18 12:50 PM
Pipeline,

I don't understand what Holds have to do with Pushes but I will experiment. Thanks for your help.

2b
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: Real Tracks and pushes - 08/08/18 12:51 PM
Thanks, Kent.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Real Tracks and pushes - 08/08/18 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo
Pipeline,

I don't understand what Holds have to do with Pushes but I will experiment. Thanks for your help.

2b

..the Pushes just play a hold earlier. So whatever hold the realtrack is set to.
Posted By: Mike02392 Re: Real Tracks and pushes - 11/10/18 11:14 PM
Hi all smile

I'm quite new to BIAB (Windows) so still learning the ropes, but I'm also having some trouble with pushes/holds.

In some styles, they seem to work pretty much perfectly e.g. I made a backing track for "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" using _JFREDMD.STY and all the pushes for the head sound great.

However, other styles don't seem to work very well - I'm trying to make a backing track for "Sweet Home Chicago" using _SHAKIN.STY. This tune has a push to the dominant chord (B7) at the end of each section, but these pushes sound pretty awful. I've also tried changing each RealTrack to the following:

386: Bass, Electric, Blues chuck
1584: guitar, electric, rhythm texasbluesrockshufflebrent
1591: piano acoustic rhythm texasbluesrockshuffle
RealDrums=BluesRockShuffle^2-a:stare, hihat, b: snare, ride

Unfortunately, these also did not handle the pushes well.

My settings for both tracks (Don't Get Around Much Anymore & Sweet Home Chicago) are the same, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if the pushes on some styles just aren't that great?

Thanks!

Mike
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Real Tracks and pushes - 11/10/18 11:39 PM
I was just making a guide up for you to change the hold or hold level,
but I just looked and there's already one in the above posts.
© PG Music Forums