PG Music Home
Hello all!

I swear I have seen a post on this subject but cannot find it anywhere.

I added 2 realtrack soloists (1339 Slide and 1957 sax) to generate different "takes" that I will bring into Cubase to comp and create my solos. In the mean time I added bars to the end of the song to create room for these two soloists to "battle".

Now neither soloist tracks will generate anything for the added bars??? They generate for the rest of the song just not added bars. I have frozen and unfrozen, removed realtrack and added back in, changed realtrack to other soloist. No luck with anything.

Tried RealBand but no audio was on those bars so I couldn't multiriff or anything. I don't know how to add audio to those bars if you can even do that? All my DAW work is done in Cubase.

All other realtracks generate to the end, drums, bass and 697 guitar. I'm using style _railyrd.sty. I'm using BIAB 2018 the current version.

Any thoughts or can someone lead to a post that had a solution?

Thanks very much!
Mike
Hi Mike,

1) tracks must be unfrozen to regenerate

2) when you insert the bars, have you checked that the 'end' bar has increased appropriately (#2 on image below)?

3) check 'Bar Settings' (F5) to make sure that the tracks have not been muted for the bars in question

4) check that the tracks' volumes are not set to zero

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture start bar end bar.JPG
Thanks Noel.

I have double checked all four items and everything is normal. I have stared at this thing for an hour and can see nothing wrong??

If I export the audio those 2 tracks just stop playing, nothing buy silence for the last 13 bars.

[Edit] I even checked the box to tell it not to fast generate. No difference.

Stumped.

Mike
Mike,

Is it possible to upload your song file to Dropbox and then paste the Dropbox link here so that I can download it and try it out?

If you're rather not do that, attach the file to an email and send it to support@pgmusic.com and give the URL to this thread so that PG Music staff can read about your problem and what you've tried.

Regards,
Noel

Originally Posted By: mbsmike
Hello all!

I swear I have seen a post on this subject but cannot find it anywhere.

I added 2 realtrack soloists (1339 Slide and 1957 sax) to generate different "takes" that I will bring into Cubase to comp and create my solos. In the mean time I added bars to the end of the song to create room for these two soloists to "battle".

Now neither soloist tracks will generate anything for the added bars??? They generate for the rest of the song just not added bars. I have frozen and unfrozen, removed realtrack and added back in, changed realtrack to other soloist. No luck with anything.

Tried RealBand but no audio was on those bars so I couldn't multiriff or anything. I don't know how to add audio to those bars if you can even do that? All my DAW work is done in Cubase.

All other realtracks generate to the end, drums, bass and 697 guitar. I'm using style _railyrd.sty. I'm using BIAB 2018 the current version.

Any thoughts or can someone lead to a post that had a solution?

Thanks very much!
Mike

I reported many malfunctioning or misbehaving , mostly 'soloist' type RTs, accompanied by frozen SGU/MGU files etc to support@pgmusic.com, this for quite a few years so far, also with older ones sent in again. As i stated before the whole Audiophile caboose is very fairly priced, but it seems almost the programmers did or do nothing about these soloist issues. Kent, bless you, sometimes jumped in and forwarded my 'complaints' too. The latest July 2018 RT updates did not show up any repairs done to my reported ones, but i could be mistaken. I am a paying customer, no beta tester LoL. (If i knew what was fixed i could check.)

Indeed, re-generating some times gives you a solution with choices for exporting and editing in a DAW. But in my case i like to experiment with beatcount changes during a song, or stuff like 9/8 songs, or use a 4/4 soloist in a 3/4 song, are usually not working too. Found soloist type RTs mostly useless as such, unless you stick to four to the floor. A real pity; some soloists are great like Brent's or Andy Leftwich's mandolin.

For endings i occasionally make up a special song with just that part only. Or look up manually and sometimes transpose-edit an ending chord found in the RealTrack folder, thus for copying parts directly into my DAW. - F
Noel: Next time in the studio I'll see about Dropbox. I've never used it to share but if I struggle I'll for sure send it to support. (Just keep in mind it sounds terrible because I'm looking to cut solo parts to create a solo. Makes ya want to cover your ears hahaha.)

Fiddler: That may be a workable idea to make a new song with just those bars. I would think that would generate solos.

Thanks for your replies!
Any other ideas welcome.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Are the names of the tracks you assigned those RealTracks to in Band-in-a-Box green or orange at the top of the Band-in-a-Box window?

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
... That may be a workable idea to make a new song with just those bars. I would think that would generate solos ...

Sometimes, when i really need something i'll generate a few bars in the key needed, mostly at 4/4 settings, and the same chord or chord changes. Then copy paste the result into my DAW, and edit the hell out of it. Quite a bit of work at times. Like done in this song (banjo part only):

.F
Kent: Thanks for your reply. I will look when I'm back in the studio. Seems I remember green but I will verify.

Fiddler: That is how I create solos almost all the time. Just wrapping up an original song where I wanted slide guitar underneath vocal lines, between lines, 3 solos and an outro. I brought into Cubase a lot of "takes".....cut them by measure....... and created all the parts. I had over 1300 "cut pieces" to use and rearrange. So a lot of work, I get it, but it turned out beautiful so well worth the effort.

Looking forward to hearing your song. Mama is sleeping next to me so I don't think she'd be too tolerant of the interruption hahaha.

Thanks again
Mike
Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music
Hi Mike,

Are the names of the tracks you assigned those RealTracks to in Band-in-a-Box green or orange at the top of the Band-in-a-Box window?

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

I was able to verify they are green. Does that give you any ideas?

Mike
Hi Mike,

Not really, sorry. Can you email the song file to support@pgmusic.com please? I'll be happy to check it out.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Take it over to real band and be sure you have selected the entire track with the added measures. I've had similar issues and discovered it was due to the entire track not being selected for regeneration.
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Take it over to real band and be sure you have selected the entire track with the added measures. I've had similar issues and discovered it was due to the entire track not being selected for regeneration.

I'll give this a go. I get confused in RB. I'm so accustomed to working in Cubase that I feel lost in RB?? Have to spend some time with it.

I sent the file into support......just waiting to see what they say.

Thanks Mr. Hacker smile

Mike
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

I'll give this a go. I get confused in RB. I'm so accustomed to working in Cubase that I feel lost in RB?? Have to spend some time with it.

I sent the file into support......just waiting to see what they say.

Thanks Mr. Hacker smile

Mike

I use RB to render the tracks I need for my projects. I write in BB and then move it to RB for the track generation process.

In RB... as long as there is one track long enough which encompasses the total length of the song with the added measures.... you simply click on SELECT WHOLE TRACK.... and then generate the soloist tracks you need. Since you selected the entire track...start to finish, all the generated tracks will also be the same length.

Once I get the tracks generated/rendered..... I move them to Sonar for my final mixing.

As a side note... yeah, I've seen the same thing happen that you are describing. My solution is to use RB to get the tracks to the proper length, like I said, as long as at least one track in the BB project will play the complete song as you want it.
Hi Mike,

I think this has something to do with both of the RealTrack solos being double-time. Double-time RealTracks have trouble on longer songs (this is a known issue), and since your song is at 129 BPM, I really wouldn't use 120 BPM double-time RealTracks, as they're meant for 60 BPM songs. They sound pretty weird in this tune, as the players are going at 258, and the sound quality isn't quite what it should be.

If you use RealTrack 1956 instead of 1957 for the sax solo, and either 383 or 418 instead of 1339 for the guitar, the solos will play all the way through, won't be quite as busy/frenzied, and will generally sound a lot better, since they're being played a lot closer to their original tempo.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
If you use double-time tracks, your maximum song length is restricted to 127 bars, not 255.
At least, that track will stop splaying after 127 bars.
Kent: Thanks for the reply! I know that both of these are crazy busy and not best to the ear. I will definitely try your tips!

Odd as it may sound (maybe not correct music theory wise?) I've had good luck with creating solos using manic BIAB soloists then strategically cut to make my own solo. Even using SW realtracks in an EV song, then quantize in Cubase to make some nice solos. Understanding that my music theory is certainly not advanced I mostly rely on my ears to guide me.

I will definitely look at the other realtracks you suggested! When I chose these it was because solo ones where very limited and those plus any background ones had no "pep". There were bars where they would play nothing even though they should be soloing. And that was not a generation issue just the way they played in several bars of the song.

I really appreciate your help and suggestions. I consider myself still to be a noob so I think I just try to pull some magic doing unorthodox things hehe.

VideoTrack: Now that makes total sense. I absolutely get it now! Thanks for the explanation.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Glad I could help! Regarding the double-time thing, it's more of an audio engineering issue than music theory. Theory-wise, there's nothing wrong with shredding at 258 BPM, but any audio file will sound best when played as close to its original tempo as possible.

Playing them at double-time won't sound quite as bad as half-time though, since it's easier to speed up audio than slow it down.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music
Hi Mike,

Glad I could help! Regarding the double-time thing, it's more of an audio engineering issue than music theory. Theory-wise, there's nothing wrong with shredding at 258 BPM, but any audio file will sound best when played as close to its original tempo as possible.

Playing them at double-time won't sound quite as bad as half-time though, since it's easier to speed up audio than slow it down.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Thanks Kent! I appreciate this entire group and think it is exceptionally great that someone from PG Music participates. Rounds out the group here in a fantastic way.

Mike
© PG Music Forums