PG Music Home
Posted By: musiclover Biab crashing when exiting Cakewalk VSTi - 09/08/18 07:44 AM
Hi folks,

I have Cakewalk by Bandlab. On the bandlab assistant beside open Cakewalk there is a dropdown arrow to install extra addons such as Studio Suite, which I have done.

Some nice instruments there such as S! bass, drums piano and strings.

They load and play fine in biab but when trying to exit from them so that no plughin is loaded, biab crashes.

I think once I got a message from jbridge some sort of error.

I wonder has anyone else tried those and they play and you can unload them ok?

Thanks

Attached picture plugs.jpg
For some reason PHAT (32bit) free drum VST crashes my BIAB v520, before exit even, i need taskmanager to exit the frozen crashed BIAB. Others don't have problems with it.

I can use 32bit Kontakt, and lots of other stuff without problems, even jBridged 64bit ones like Halion Sonic 3. I cannot use PHAT as such in BIAB, but it runs fine (64bit) in f.i Cunase 9.5

Kent supposedly experienced the same with PHAT, but only on some Windows PCs. So it might be related to my 64bit windows 10. VCbasics, Dot.NET, or graphics drivers specifically related to the hardware etc.? If you have to use jBridge; below the plugin GUI there's a settings menu, but you'll have to experiment a lot. -F
Posted By: Royarn Re: Biab crashing when exiting Cakewalk VSTi - 09/08/18 02:54 PM
Looks like your using an vsti that's tied to Cakewalk only so won't work in other daws etc. BB doesn't report the error like other daws so it just crashes.
Roy.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Biab crashing when exiting Cakewalk VSTi - 09/08/18 05:03 PM
Yes, Many Cakewalk VSTs and VSTis are proprietary and will not work in any other DAW.
Thanks for replies, that may well be the reason. I thought that it was playing ok in Cubase, but may have been a demo it was playing instead of loaded midi file.

I will have to do some more experimenting with this.

Correct some were some were not exclusive to CW products. However, the SI series (bass, drums, piano..) are NOT exclusive to Sonar, then or now under Bandlab. Just did quick test in a handful of DAW's: Mixcraft, Reaper, FL20, Cubase 8, SO3, Traction 7, obviously Sonar. I even tested as plugins in Fishman Triple Play and MIDI Guitar 2. …NO ISSUES.

Testing CW’s Studio Instrument’s (aka SI series) in PG products ON A WIN 10 64 bit PC: Using the 32-bit version of SI (I only tested with SI BASS) in all three cases ( BIAB, RB or PT2017) no issues: the plugin loads,runs , plays, I can closes the PG application normally.

HOWEVER, when using the 64-bit version of SI Bass , with known good version of JBrigde installed and working: all three PG programs will run that VSTi but upon trying to close either the application or the plug-in window it causes s JBridge or the underlining PG application or both to hang and you can see a still running JBridge Aux64 process still in the “ctrl-alt-del” processes list (it should have closed)

YMMV

Note, the SI series came in two flavors 32-bit and 64-bit .dll's, depending on if you installed 32 or 64 bit Sonar or Music Creator. Although, Bandlab only installs the 64 bit version – should not be an issue if you have JBridge, which Musiclover indicates he's got, but there is an issue with that 64- bit DLL in PG apps!

BTW there is a nice easy to use little utility (free) that can tell you if a .dll is 32 it or 64 bit called “PE Deconstructor.” Once installed just click on ANY dll and it reports basic info - I'll let folks here do their own reading on it first
https://computingabdn.com/2016/01/05/32-vs-64-bit-in-windows-what-kind-your-binary-is/ ]

Good Luck
Larry
I have both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the Studio Instruments suite AND the GM/GS/XG compatible multi-timbrel soft synth TTS-1. I haven't experienced any issues while using any of them.

Music Creator 6 did not include the full Studio Instruments suite, only the drums. Both Music Creator 7 and Sonar Home Studio include the full suite. Sonar Home Studio was available in both 32 and 64 bit versions, just enable verbose mode on Command Center and it asks if you want a 32 or 64 bit download.

The November 2017 edition of the United Kingdom magazine, Computer Music, included a link and activation code for Sonar Home Studio. I purchased a digital copy of the magazine just to gain access to Sonar Home Studio. Little did I know the software would become orphan-ware in less than a month.
© PG Music Forums