PG Music Home
Posted By: J. Larry Improved audio playback - 09/12/18 11:53 PM
This may be old-hand stuff for experienced, live players. However, I gigged today using the Peavey USB-P interface, with BIAB 2018 on a laptop. Boy, what an improved sound over the audio/headphone jack of a high-end laptop. I didn’t realize there would be that much difference in the playback. That’s all that little box does---just playback. The proof is in the hearing.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Improved audio playback - 09/13/18 12:25 AM
Great report. Yes, laptop sound engines can be a little mediocre. This is a useful hint for others. That device has balanced stereo outputs with transformer isolation. It's whole level above the laptop's sound features.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Improved audio playback - 09/13/18 10:06 AM
And you will no longer have the pleasure of emulating a thunderstorm when you jostle the connection!
Posted By: jford Re: Improved audio playback - 09/13/18 11:53 AM
Quote:
And you will no longer have the pleasure of emulating a thunderstorm when you jostle the connection!

But it works if you are doing the Doors "Riders On The Storm". smile
Posted By: Mikke Re: Improved audio playback - 09/13/18 01:00 PM
Hey J.Larry,

Thanks for Sharing. This is a really cool little device, and I am always eager to find another Peavey product to gush over.

Going straight from a laptop to a Mixer can cause some grounding issues, or just bad sound in general.

If the laptop has a good sound card, and you are in a pinch, a DI Box will also works wonders!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Improved audio playback - 09/13/18 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
Quote:

But it works if you are doing the Doors "Riders On The Storm". smile

Good one!
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Improved audio playback - 09/19/18 12:17 PM
Originally Posted By: J. Larry
This may be old-hand stuff for experienced, live players. However, I gigged today using the Peavey USB-P interface, with BIAB 2018 on a laptop. Boy, what an improved sound over the audio/headphone jack of a high-end laptop. I didn’t realize there would be that much difference in the playback. That’s all that little box does---just playback. The proof is in the hearing.

Larry,

For an old time 1/8 jack user would you please elaborate a bit, i.e., the connection from the Peavy to the mixer, is that USB to xlrs or 1/4 jacks? I ask because my mixer has one usb port and I use that one for audio out to my streaming computer.

Edited portion: And exactly which Peavey interface are you referencing, thanks again.

Thanks,

Posted By: J. Larry Re: Improved audio playback - 09/20/18 10:59 PM
Danny –
That unit is called the “Peavey USB-P DI/Format Converter”. It’s carried by Guitar Center, Musician’s Friend, B & H Photo, and others. It’s very small and light-weight. From the laptop (with BIAB) to the Peavey unit, which is on the floor below the mixer, I use a cable that was described (to me) as one that’s often used to connect a computer to a printer. It has a USB on one end (the end from the computer) and a small plug on the other end that attaches to the Peavey unit. Don’t know what you call that. I just happened to have a cable like that and it works. One would need to look at the input on the Peavey unit to determine what kind of cable is required. The Peavey unit has two XLR outputs (female) that I run directly to mixer inputs. I use balanced cables for either XLR mixer inputs, or ¼” inputs. Both types of cables work well. Then, of course, running cables from the mixer to powered speakers. The unit worked immediately, with no loading of software required. My impression is that sound quality is improved, as well as feeling more secure about using a USB output for audio, rather than a 1/8” cable from the headphone output of the laptop.
© PG Music Forums