PG Music Home
Posted By: allanmorrow Importing MIDI to Melody Track - 10/07/18 12:17 PM
Trying to import MIDI from another program onto BIAB Melody track. Export format from this program is MIDI 1 (logical tracks with single channel per track). This shows as single channel in Sequencer, despite being set for multichannel.

I have an entirely separate MIDI file which loads perfectly, with all Sequencer channels available, and format is MIDI 0 (single track with multiple channels).

Can anyone advise please if there is a way of setting BIAB Melody Import so that it will accept MIDI 1 files?

Alternatively, is there MIDI converter that will do the necessary conversion? I’ve tried a number of them, (including commercial), that produce a MIDI 0 of sorts, but tracks still finish up as single channel. Nearest to success is ‘MuseScore’, but that only provides 4 channels out of 16.
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Importing MIDI to Melody Track - 10/07/18 12:39 PM
Hi
I am afraid that BIAB always sends it melody track out on channel 4
Even though it can import a single or multi channel midi.
You can see what channels are used for each track in BIAB under options /preferences/ channels. Melody track is sent out on ch 4,

How ever if you open a midi file in Realband it will offer to put it on separate tracks even if it is a type 0.
Mike

Posted By: Noel96 Re: Importing MIDI to Melody Track - 10/07/18 06:47 PM
Allan,

When you create the midi in your other program, have you assigned individual tracks to their own unique MIDI channel?

By the way, what is the program you are exporting from? If I can download a demo version, I'll try it.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: allanmorrow Re: Importing MIDI to Melody Track - 10/08/18 04:19 AM
Thank you both.

Mike,

Wasn’t sure if I’m misunderstanding your reply or didn’t make the situation clearer. Was aware about Melody track output being single channel, but didn’t know of the Preferences / channels information. I’m trying to import as many channels onto Melody track, from other program, as possible so that when I produce extra BIAB tracks (for subsequent transfer of them all to DAW) can get more of a ‘feel’ for how it is progressing. Control of these tracks in Melody via Sequencer is, of course, rather limited (‘on’ or ‘off’) but certainly perfectly adequate for my purpose.

Noel,

Program is ‘Orb Composer’. There is demo available, although is the ‘Pro’ version, whereas I have the cut-down ‘Artist' one, but think MIDI export arrangements are the same.

https://www.orb-composer.com/ressources/download/

As far as I can tell, tracks are assigned to their own MIDI channel.

Regards,

Allan
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Importing MIDI to Melody Track - 10/08/18 12:34 PM
Hi Allan,

Thanks for the added information. I'll have a play around and see what I can find out.

I've just watched a couple of the video tutorials... at first glance, Orb Composer looks to be a very impressive program.

Back in touch in a day or two,
Noel

Posted By: allanmorrow Re: Importing MIDI to Melody Track - 10/08/18 01:47 PM
Noel,

Many thanks.

Don't see Orb Composer as a replacement for BIAB, but rather as a supplement. As a non-musician, who relies totally on technology, it gives me a bit more control over the way instruments play, but lacks BIAB's Styles, Realtracks and a number of other features.

Regards,

Allan
© PG Music Forums