PG Music Home
Posted By: Lloyd S Editable Notation problem [SOLVED] - 10/24/18 01:34 PM
My musical notation skills are minimal at best, so I'm looking for help.
I've entered the melody of the song ("Tenderly") using the Editable Notation window. The sheet music indicates that it is in 3 flats.

Things were going along smoothly until I got to bar 13, which showed a half note on middle C (ok, I know that much!) with a flat sign. I can't get BIAB to show that. I had to move it down to B (which of course, I assume is the same as Cb) and show a natural sign.

It sounds fine, and I assume if I printed it out, that anyone who reads music would know what note to hit. I'm just wondering if there's a way to actually show it in BIAB as Cb.

Thanks!
LLOYD
Posted By: jford Re: Editable Notation problem - 10/24/18 02:25 PM
BIAB struggles with Cb, Fb, B#, and E#. I think you can right click on the note in editable notation and force the accidental. BIAB views the note based on the note number (which could be either a Cb or a B - same note number, same pitch). So, if you select Force Accidental and select Flat, it should display it as Cb.

The user manual says this:

Quote:
Force Accidental - If a note is being displayed as a sharp, but you want it to appear as a flat (or vice versa), you can force that here. Notes like Fb, Cb, E#, B# can be entered. To do this, right-click on a note (like F), and set the forced accidental to #, and the note will appear as E#.
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Editable Notation problem - 10/25/18 01:11 PM
jford:

I had sought out that description in the manual and thought it was the answer to my problem, but it doesn't work here in this situation.

As I described, to get the note to "sound" right, I had to move it down to a B natural. If I move it up to the C position (by right clicking then "Edit Note" and setting it to C) then setting the "Force Accidental" to "Flat", it moves the note OK, but it will not show the "flat" symbol with it, and it "sounds" with a regular C note, instead of Cb.

Thinking it may just be my song, I opened up a "new" one in BIAB, set the Key to Eb, went to Editable Notation, entered a single note on middle C, edited that to a "forced" Cb. It didn't change anything, neither the display nor the sound.

Thanks for your help!
LLOYD S
Posted By: jford Re: Editable Notation problem - 10/25/18 04:26 PM
Did you try leaving the note on "B", but selecting force flat and see if it displays a Cb. The note has to be a B (and whatever note number is associated with that pitch) to play the B (or the enharmonic equivalent Cb). I'm not at my computer to try it right now, and I know it sounds counter intuitive, but I'd give it a try.
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Editable Notation problem - 10/25/18 06:12 PM
Yup, that worked perfectly!
I thought I had tried every combination, but I guess not.
I'm going to copy and paste your reply to my "BIAB Tips and Tricks" doc.

Thanks so much for your help!
LLOYD S
Posted By: jford Re: Editable Notation problem - 10/25/18 06:18 PM
Glad it worked for you.
© PG Music Forums