PG Music Home
Posted By: Sergino About the copyright - 10/27/18 01:14 PM
I created a song for a short film using also a part of "EuroDance with the Strings RealTracks demo". This Biab demo has no artist performances on the Melody track or Solo Track. So I think it has only the accompaniment tracks generated by Band-in-a-Box and I can use it as part of a composition. But the film director after uploading on you tube received this message: "Dance with Dogs - Alfred Bram Zoer Audio Recording 1:49 - 2:34 play correspondence ". As the demo has no real melody but just synth patterns, is this a copyright infringment or not?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: About the copyright - 10/27/18 01:35 PM
Copyright laws differ in different countries and I'm not a lawyer. Having said that,

I wonder what that other song is? Could it be another song generated by BIAB, and it happens to be such an exact match that it triggered the warning?

Do your chords have any rhythmic patterns (shots, holds, rests) that would make it sound like 'hits' in the song that are distinctive and recognizable?

In theory, without using someone's melody, you should be OK, unless you copy the 'hits'.

However, the problem may be that you said the word "demo". If this is a PG Music demo song, then those ARE copyrighted.

This is the sort of case that they ask juries to untangle, when big money is involved. It's not an exact science (yet).
Posted By: DrDan Re: About the copyright - 10/27/18 01:43 PM
I once put just a few seconds as an intro, a "Gong sound". I think I sampled the short wave from the web, and when I tried to upload the song, SoundCloud denied it saying it was copyrighted material.
Posted By: konaboy Re: About the copyright - 10/27/18 02:42 PM
this has happened to me too, i uploaded a backing track to YouTube and the content match algorithm flagged it as a copyright infringement. it was a match of some obscure song that I couldn't even find on the internet...

very annoying. i changed the key, changed some chords, changed the tempo and re-uploaded, this time without issues.

my guess is somebody previously created a song using similar or same style, and then registered it as their own work. then they cash in whenever somebody uploads and shares a similar sounding track.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: About the copyright - 10/27/18 02:53 PM
I purchased a royalty free license (at significant expense) for another music production product, and occasionally I also get challenged by those automated systems. It seems that another large company purchased them also and then registered them. I then have to challenge in return and prove that I own the license. My challenge has always been successful, but is a nuisance to go through.
This may be slightly different though to the O/P's position.
Posted By: Sergino Re: About the copyright - 10/27/18 07:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

However, the problem may be that you said the word "demo". If this is a PG Music demo song, then those ARE copyrighted.

I am curious about this Mr Alfred Bram Zoer. Does he works for PG Music? I think he's using the demo for getting money, or not? https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/alfred-bram-zoer/1191739204 )
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: About the copyright - 10/28/18 04:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Sergino
I created a song for a short film using also a part of "EuroDance with the Strings RealTracks demo". This Biab demo has no artist performances on the Melody track or Solo Track. So I think it has only the accompaniment tracks generated by Band-in-a-Box and I can use it as part of a composition. But the film director after uploading on you tube received this message: "Dance with Dogs - Alfred Bram Zoer Audio Recording 1:49 - 2:34 play correspondence ". As the demo has no real melody but just synth patterns, is this a copyright infringment or not?

I occasionally get bullied by these automatic 'rights claimants', often for clearly my own stuff, and after enabling 'monetizing'. Just file an objection and usually you'll be off the hook. These bullies should be locked in jail, and show clearly that a lot of royalties go unlawfully to the music royalty hungry maffia, cause usually no one dares to complain IMO. Film companies are the worst it seems .. F
Posted By: Mike HP. Re: About the copyright - 02/21/19 02:48 PM
In this context, my personal question about copyright:

If one can theoretically rearrange BiaB demo-songs or BiaB music tracks, for example from the directory SONGS AND LESSONS, with regard to sounds (with sounds for example from ROLAND-/KORG synthesizers) and these rearranged music-tracks, expanded with some others and self-created melody and solo-parts, for example upload to SOUNDCLOUD or YOUTUBE (with video), but all without financial interests and intentions?
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: About the copyright - 02/21/19 03:29 PM
It's complicated, food for lawyers:

http://www.djcounsel.com/copyright-101-an-%E2%80%9Cold%E2%80%9D-song-is-not-necessarily-in-the-public-domain/

If you use an existing composition, melody etc, which has been copyrighted by some author not dead yet, or dead since less than 75 years you are not set free. But the mechanical rights stay yours still if you recorded the stuff ...

Some copyright claimants are thieves themselves. Also modern ones. Stephen Foster for example 'stole' traditional material like Angeline the Baker and claimed it as nobody had done that earlier .... common monkey 'business' back then. You might get away with a lot of you don't make them copyright infringement hunters any wiser. And if you intend to use a known Bob Dylan song clearly mention that it's a traditional if it is originally.

As for PG generated sample material as in use of the musician recorded RT wavs it's free to use if you paid for the software.
A generous and gentile gesture, as some software music generation software and even prerecorded sample material's use is not so user friendly ... F
Posted By: Mike HP. Re: About the copyright - 02/21/19 04:26 PM
Thanks for the details.
So I understand it this way: Someone who bought the PG program BiaB does not get any legal problems when he "hobbyically " and only for interest in arranging picks out one or the other included demosong from the many thousands of music examples, this piece of music then according to its own taste in terms of tempo, used instruments (synthesizer sounds), the melody possibly changed something here and there and, if necessary, adds backing tracks ... And then uploads this more or less modified composition to YOUTUBE, SoundCloud or similar. Without financial intentions, just for the joy of music/ and song-arranging.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: About the copyright - 02/21/19 06:23 PM
As said if it's a copyrighted song that's being used, and you go public with it .... melody, chords, lyrics.
If you 'publish' f.i. "Let it Be" on Youtube you won't get composer's etc royalties. If it's your own arranged and recorded version on air, you could claim mechanical rights only then IMO.
© PG Music Forums