PG Music Home
Posted By: sixchannel Problem with chord D/F# anyone? - 11/10/18 08:26 AM
See attachment -
Its a very standard sort of chord, being the main chord of its major key (D) but with the specific requirement of the F# Bass note.
Problem is - BB will not play it as written.
The tune is Tahitian Skies by Ray Flacke and at this point in the Chorus only the strum guitar and Bass should play. Note - the F5 red lines are because the Pedal Steel etc are muted.
All previous bars work as they should but on Bar 26 ONLY the Bass can be heard, playing the F# but the Guitar is not playing. FWIW at Bar 27 onwards (not shown) it is all fine.
If I change D/F# to a plain D chord, the Guitar now plays fine and the Bass plays an A Bass note. If I make the chord D/F#... the Guitar plays the D chord, but as an Arpeggio (as would be expected) and the Bass plays the required F#.
But BB will not play it as D/F# with the strum guitar strumming the chord.
Anyone know why please?
Instruments in tune -
Style is BLANK.STY (Blank 4/4 Even 8th Utility 'Styl)
RealTracks in song: 2474:Bass, Acoustic, Held Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2051:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1175:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 621:Pedal Steel, Background Easy Ev 136

I am aware that there is a workround by copy and pasting a D from elsewhere when I get it into RB but BB is the issue here. Why?
Cheers
ian

Attached picture D-F#.jpg
Posted By: DrDan Re: Problem with chord D/F# anyone? - 11/10/18 11:52 AM
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
But BB will not play it as D/F# with the strum guitar strumming the chord.Anyone know why please?

That chord voicing is possibly not recorded in the selection of RT audio available.

Originally Posted By: sixchannel

If I change D/F# to a plain D chord, the Guitar now plays fine and the Bass plays an A Bass note. If I make the chord D/F#... the Guitar plays the D chord, but as an Arpeggio (as would be expected) and the Bass plays the required F#.
I am aware that there is a workround by copy and pasting a D from elsewhere when I get it into RB but BB is the issue here. Why?

There are BAIB workarounds. Freeze the Base track after playing the F# note associated with the D/F#. Then change the chord to a D and the guitar track will play its part. That should do it?
Posted By: 2bSolo Re: Problem with chord D/F# anyone? - 11/10/18 12:04 PM
Music Student's idea is probably better than mind, but here's another thought. You could take it to Real Band when you get everything close to finished. Set up a separate track for midi bass and just do that measure. Edit out the Real bass part for that note or program a volume change to 0 for the measure. With all of the parts playing and the volume the same, you may not notice much difference.

2b
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Problem with chord D/F# anyone? - 11/10/18 03:21 PM
Ian,

It might be that the pushed ^A chord is impacting on the D/F#. Have you tried removing the push to see if it makes a difference?

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Problem with chord D/F# anyone? - 11/10/18 04:56 PM
Thanks Dan, 2b and Noel for all the advice. Much appreciated.

I had similar workrounds in mind and failing to resolve it, I will have gone down that route.

What puzzled me is that D/F# is NOT a posh chord - its the basic triad of D major (A,D,F#)and all I was asking was for it to play the Bass note as F#.
I Did try it as D/A and straight D and got what was effectively D/A each time - but it wouldnt play the F# version.

I think Noel hit it on the head - its some kind of bizarre effect of the push chord that follows. After a fair bit of tinkering (its a very rainy day here!) I SPLIT the two chords. Bar 26 was now just 2 beats and the (new) Bar 27 with the pushed A also 2 beats. BB must read this relationship differently as the chord now plays as I wanted - D/F# - and it sounds luvverly.

Now all I got to do, is learn to play the darned thing! lol!
Cheers
ian

As an aside - I wonder why they call them PUSH chords when they are actually PULLED forward. Maybe its because we're Brits! lol.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Problem with chord D/F# anyone? - 11/10/18 07:58 PM
Some good points made here. I initially was incorrect when I saw the D/F#. I thought F# was the #4 lending to a lydian scale and therefore I assumed a "posh" chord. But you corrected me. Then finding that the push was the culprit, well leave it to Noel to find this. Very interesting.

Dan
© PG Music Forums