PG Music Home
I hope Jim Fogle won't mind if I quote a comment he recently made:

"RealBand (RB) handles RealTracks differently than Band-in-a-Box (BiaB). BiaB generates the first few seconds of the RealTracks in a song project then begins playback. The rest of each RealTracks is generated as a background task while the song project continues to be played. RB will not start until all of each RealTracks is generated so the time that it takes for playback to begin is much longer when compared to BiaB."

This gets me to wonder, with the advent of faster processors, more memory, SSD's etc..is the old DAW adage of setting processor priorities to background processes still relevant?

I started playing around with this a day or so ago after Misha (Rustyspoon) was asking about regeneration times in BIAB.

It seems, and here I might be mistaken, that when setting "Processor Scheduling" in "Performance Options" in Win 10 to Background Services that regeneration times are reduced as compared to setting processor priorities to "Programs". On the other hand, and again just a personal observation, it seems in doing this there might be a slight increase in latency as I had to increase my buffers from a low of 64 to 96 to take out a bit of induced static.

Does anybody have any insight into this?

Jeff
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
... setting "Processor Scheduling" in "Performance Options" in Win 10 to Background Services that regeneration times are reduced as compared to setting processor priorities to "Programs" .... Does anybody have any insight into this? Jeff

An old habit i still use, and i'm curious too ... F
It's an old discussion on other forums. I don't think it has shown up here before.

The various answers are 'Yes', 'No', 'It doesn't matter anymore on new PCs', and 'I have no idea'.

I set mine to Background Services a decade ago because Noel Borthwick, the tech brains of Cakewalk (SONAR) at the time, said to do so.
Had Background services accidentally turned off in Windows 10 .... had buffering/performance problems with my DAW, it was apparently the cause. Usually happening after a pause and staring playback again a hiccup, Fixed when turned on.

some tips: backgrounds apps -F
© PG Music Forums