PG Music Home
Posted By: stevepage Running BIAB windows on a MAC - 11/23/18 05:32 PM
Anyone running BIAB Windows on a Mac?
Any tips/feedback?
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Running BIAB windows on a MAC - 11/23/18 05:42 PM
Hi Steve,

I've found that if you use Bootcamp, it works great, exactly like if it was a regular Windows machine. That's the method I'd recommend.

If you use a virtual machine solution like Parallels, you'll probably be OK, but might run into issues that I can't fix for you (audio and MIDI driver issues specifically).

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: jacko_karel Re: Running BIAB windows on a MAC - 11/24/18 04:04 AM
I am also interested in this topic. I'm just doing my first attempts through Boot Camp and it looks OK
Posted By: LtKojak Re: Running BIAB windows on a MAC - 11/24/18 05:28 AM
I know the license allows you to have your BIAB installed in two computers. Can those computers be a PC and a native install in a Mac?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Running BIAB windows on a MAC - 11/24/18 08:16 AM
Originally Posted By: LtKojak
I know the license allows you to have your BIAB installed in two computers. Can those computers be a PC and a native install in a Mac?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

I am pretty sure to say that the Windows version won't run natively on a Mac, but would under Bootcamp and I presume that the Windows license could then be applied to the Mac. PG Support would be able to answer more definitely though.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Running BIAB windows on a MAC - 11/24/18 06:42 PM
Yes google "BIAB windows on a MAC" then it will come up with all the links in the PG forums, I put some in the Tip n Tricks forum also. I just can't remember them all but there's heaps of good info.
It runs perfect in Bootcamp but then you can't use the Mac OS unless you restart. There's also WinOnX64, Crossover Mac, WineBottler, PlayOnMac, with Parallels Desktop and Bootcamp you will need a Windows Install DVD.
Posted By: LtKojak Re: Running BIAB windows on a MAC - 11/25/18 07:47 AM
The question is: when I purchase a BIAB License, can I get two set of install files, one for Win and one for Mac, like other DAW makers offer?

Being English not my mother tongue, the question was not as clear as I thought it was, as the answers clearly shown.

Can somebody from PG Music answer? Callie? Kent? Bueller...? wink
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Running BIAB windows on a MAC - 11/25/18 08:24 AM
I was curious about that also. I am currently mac-less but I am bi-lingual. May at sometime get a mac.

...Deb
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Running BIAB windows on a MAC - 11/25/18 10:31 AM
I did not want to use the Windows version of BIAB** on my Mac so I bought a separate BIAB program for my Mac. The files for RealTracks and RealDrums are entirely different file types.

** I wanted to learn a straight Mac app, so I could reacquaint myself with Macs to be able to support others in the family. I was an early Mac user starting with an Apple in 1977 but stopped in the early 1990s when Windows software met my needs better.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Running BIAB windows on a MAC - 11/25/18 10:39 AM
The question is: when I purchase a BIAB License, can I get two set of install files, one for Win and one for Mac, like other DAW makers offer?

Being English not my mother tongue, the question was not as clear as I thought it was, as the answers clearly shown.

At the moment you need to do a crossgrade, but who knows,
in the future if they use crossplatform programming you would get both versions at the same time with same features and they would not have to spend extra months on the Mac version.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Running BIAB windows on a MAC - 11/30/18 01:16 AM
Pepe, perhaps send an email request directly to PG Music support. They would be able to provide you with a definitive answer.
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Running BIAB windows on a MAC - 11/30/18 06:47 PM

Hi Pepe,

The Windows and Mac versions are sold separately, so if you own the Windows version and want Mac installers, you'd have to purchase a crossgrade to the Mac version, and vice versa.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: LtKojak Re: Running BIAB windows on a MAC - 12/01/18 04:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music

Hi Pepe,

The Windows and Mac versions are sold separately, so if you own the Windows version and want Mac installers, you'd have to purchase a crossgrade to the Mac version, and vice versa.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Got it!

Thank you, Kent. Much appreciated.

Yours very truly,
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Running BIAB windows on a MAC - 12/01/18 07:28 AM
Pepe, for anyone reading this thread with the same question, it should be mentioned that ‘crossgrade’ means you can get the Mac version for less than full price if you already own the Windows version.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Running BIAB windows on a MAC - 12/01/18 03:41 PM
I have run BIAB windows on my MacBook Pro for about 4 years now using Parallels.
I have no problems at all.
Admittedly I do not exercise all the functionality of the programs (midi,vsti).
I mostly use Real Tracks to build backing tracks.

Never had any problems whatsoever.
I'm guessing its probably slower on the Mac to rebuild an arrangement due to parallels overhead
Processor/Ram power about the same on both machines.
Never tested this as its adequate for my needs.

I use the same version on my win pc. switch files back and forth all the time.

Never found a reason to buy the Mac version. No doubt some differences between the 2 os's exist.
Impossible that they would not.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Running BIAB windows on a MAC - 12/01/18 09:24 PM
The Mac version is very close now to the Windows version.

Peter Gannon has said he develops BIAB for Windows on a Mac, running as you do.
© PG Music Forums