PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 11:05 AM
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Features
There are many exciting new features in Band-in-a-Box 2019! First off is our brand-new 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! We include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions, so users of 32-bit Windows® OS can still run Band-in-a-Box® 2019. We’ve also made and include a 64-bit VST Plugin of Band-in-a-Box®, which you can use inside your favorite DAW (Cakewalk, Reaper, ProTools, etc.) to generate styles, RealTracks, RealDrums, Multi-Riffs, etc. We include a 64-bit GM MIDI synth VSTSynthFont64 with default GM soundfonts, allowing you to specify any GM soundfont even larger ones (up to 2 GB).
Posted By: musiclover Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 12:24 PM
Looks like everyone is totally dumbstruck, wow we never expected that!
Posted By: DrDan Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 12:32 PM
Lets all be a bit cautious here, but if this is what it appears to be, this could change everything:

Quote:
a 64-bit VST Plugin of Band-in-a-Box®, which you can use inside your favorite DAW (Cakewalk, Reaper, ProTools, etc.) to generate styles, RealTracks, RealDrums, Multi-Riffs, etc.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 01:28 PM
It is what it appears to be.

Be aware there will be a few growing pains.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 01:29 PM
I'll be upgrading but the following interests me..............

We include a 64-bit GM MIDI synth VSTSynthFont64 with default GM soundfonts, allowing you to specify any GM soundfont even larger ones (up to 2 GB).

I have both the Edirol Hypercanvas and coyote forte as soft synths and mix and match the midi sounds as some are better than others.

But will the VSTSynthFont64 give me a better sound? I know its all down to individual taste but the Hypercnavas is now a bit long in the tooth and I am really not up to date with these improvements!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 01:43 PM
Bob, others will know better because I haven't tried the new one yet (I use a hardware MIDI synth).

The general principle is two-fold: to give users of the 64-bit version of BIAB something they can use, and to offer flexibility to easily use other soundfonts and 64-bit libraries you may have. I think it's going to depend entirely on the quality of what you load into this new synth. You're already well aware that different libraries have different strengths since you mix and match.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 01:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
I have both the Edirol Hypercanvas and coyote forte as soft synths and mix and match the midi sounds as some are better than others.

Speaking of Coyote Forte, I understand that the current one won't run with the 64-bit BiaB but a new 64-bit version of Forte could be on the way.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 02:11 PM
OMG...if what they are saying is true...this is GROUNDBREAKING!

I had seriously considered sitting out this upgrade and now I cannot seem to type my credit card info fast enough to complete my order! A real Christmas morning level of excitement here!
Posted By: Vincente Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 02:20 PM
That's the way to the future, thumb up for BiaB
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 02:49 PM
so is it true that coyote won't work any more? the edirol is elderly too so maybe i'll have to master the new technology
Posted By: jford Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 02:55 PM
The package will include both 32-bit and 64-bit BIAB. Coyote (WT or Forte) Dxi will only work in the 32-bit version for now. I understand that Coyote Electronics is supposed to be releasing 64-bit Dxi's at some point. If you absolutely need to use Coyote (either the WT or the Forte), you'll have to use 32-bit BIAB for now.
Posted By: rharv Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 03:00 PM
FWIW, one of the first things I did during beta was try loading the Chaos 12 meg GM soundfont into the new VSTSynthFont64.
Worked just fine.

This opens a lot of possibilities for new sounds.
Felt like the RoadRunner .. leaving Coyote behind in the dust. smile

MBeep Beep
Posted By: Pipeline Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 03:04 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

I had seriously considered sitting out this upgrade and now I cannot seem to type my credit card info fast enough to complete my order! A real Christmas morning level of excitement here!

Thanks JJJ:

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=308462#Post308462

On the other hand, if they asked me, my advice would be to get to work on a VSTi version of BIAB in parallel with the current upgrade cycle. They could start basic...maybe build bridge technology to work between the DAW and the BIAB core...get a simple GUI designed that just handles the RT selection. Get rid of ALL of the volume, panning, f/x, etc. and just let me apply those using my plugs in my DAW! Basically strip out everything that is already available in my DAW. Leave nothing but the RT engine and interface to work as a VSTi.

Now THAT is a KILLER product! Does not hurt the existing BIAB crowd at all. We keep upgrading for the next 5 years. But, in the meantime, you are building PG's next breakthrough, game-changing products! And somewhere down the line you quietly retire BIAB as the VSTi version becomes the bread-and-butter product!

Can you imagine the excitement there would be over a VSTi that was based on RealTracks? It would put every MIDI/Sample-based product to shame! I own a ton of really nice sounding sample libraries but the amount of work I have to put in to make something that 1) sounds great while 2) not sounding canned is way too much whereas, with BIAB, I can rough something together in less than an hour that cannot be discerned from a real band!

One more bit of advice...DO NOT NAME IT BAND IN A BOX (but def keep the RealTracks brand)! Hire a really good marketing team with recent experience/success in state-of-the-art digital instrument marketing to come up with an Apple-worthy product name, branding, campaign, etc.

I should get a marketing job (if I'm so smart), right?
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 03:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Pipeline

Thanks JJJ:

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=308462#Post308462

On the other hand, if they asked me, my advice would be to get to work on a VSTi version of BIAB in parallel with the current upgrade cycle. They could start basic...maybe build bridge technology to work between the DAW and the BIAB core...get a simple GUI designed that just handles the RT selection. Get rid of ALL of the volume, panning, f/x, etc. and just let me apply those using my plugs in my DAW! Basically strip out everything that is already available in my DAW. Leave nothing but the RT engine and interface to work as a VSTi.

Now THAT is a KILLER product! Does not hurt the existing BIAB crowd at all. We keep upgrading for the next 5 years. But, in the meantime, you are building PG's next breakthrough, game-changing products! And somewhere down the line you quietly retire BIAB as the VSTi version becomes the bread-and-butter product!

Can you imagine the excitement there would be over a VSTi that was based on RealTracks? It would put every MIDI/Sample-based product to shame! I own a ton of really nice sounding sample libraries but the amount of work I have to put in to make something that 1) sounds great while 2) not sounding canned is way too much whereas, with BIAB, I can rough something together in less than an hour that cannot be discerned from a real band!

One more bit of advice...DO NOT NAME IT BAND IN A BOX (but def keep the RealTracks brand)! Hire a really good marketing team with recent experience/success in state-of-the-art digital instrument marketing to come up with an Apple-worthy product name, branding, campaign, etc.

I should get a marketing job (if I'm so smart), right?

Wow! Has it really been 6-1/2 years??? laugh
Posted By: Pipeline Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 03:22 PM
Quote:

Sorry you couln't get a new name, I suppose a rose by any name...
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 03:30 PM
thanks rharv - you think a soundfont will sound better than forte? i haven't loaded a soundfont for years since i used a creative card as my midi player
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Feels like you are cautioning us to not get our hopes too high... frown
Posted By: beatmaster Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 08:05 PM
Looks like they would know ?.
Posted By: rharv Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 08:08 PM
thanks rharv - you think a soundfont will sound better than forte? i haven't loaded a soundfont for years since i used a creative card as my midi player

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
First make sure you are distinguishing between Coyote and Coyote Forte.
Coyote (not Coyote Forte) is much less impressive as it uses the windows sound set.
Forte is better

But yes, many fonts I have sound better than the Forte to me (though Forte is great for what it is).
The point was the ability to pick/choose your options on a given project.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 08:48 PM
But will the VSTSynthFont64 give me a better sound? I know its all down to individual taste but the Hypercnavas is now a bit long in the tooth and I am really not up to date with these improvements!

Personally I think so, it sounds pretty good to me and that's with the included soundset. If this thing can take up to 2 gigs of content you can get it sounding a whole lot better than that.

One thing you have to keep in mind is all of your synths are either free or very low cost. None are close to a commercial high end synth that you have to pay from several hundred (Sampletank) to almost a thousand (Kontakt, Halion, etc). And then there's hardware like the Ketron, Roland and others that are from $400-$1,600.

It's all relative to your cost/benefit scenario.

Bob
Posted By: Will Josef Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 08:58 PM
I have Halion which can do GM. But I worry about the 2 gb limit. How is that counted? Is that just the sum of the 16 instruments used or is it the whole library (because Halion is much, much bigger in total size)?

Will
Posted By: musiclover Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 09:07 PM
Thanks for info. By any chance is the VSTSynthFont64 the same one as is on this page, and is it the free version or paid for?

http://www.synthfont.com/VSTSF_news.html

http://www.synthfont.com/Downloads.html

Thanks
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/01/18 09:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Feels like you are cautioning us to not get our hopes too high... frown

Not at all. I'm just saying there will be a few patches. Speaking of, one came out today, about twelve hours after the initial release. Get build #602 now.
Posted By: Ginna Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/02/18 12:42 AM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Band-in-a-Box® 2019
- We’ve also made and include a 64-bit VST Plugin of Band-in-a-Box®

Is there as well 32-bit version for the 64-bit VST Plugin of Band-in-a-Box?

Fantastic release! in my opinion Band in a box 2019 brings the most interesting features that I have seen in a long time! congratulations and MERRY XMAS!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/02/18 12:49 AM
Yes, a 32-bit version is also wrapped up in the package.

To run BIAB as 32-bit, the startup file is \bb\bbw.exe

To run BIAB as 64-bit, the startup file is \bb\bbw64.exe

(If you have a 64-bit operating system, it's possible to have shortcuts setup for both BIAB-32 and BIAB-64.)

And I agree... it truly is a fantastic release!!!
Posted By: Pipeline Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/02/18 01:07 AM
the vst is 64bit only but have not tried it with JBridge
Posted By: Dave Clark Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/02/18 02:55 AM
Hi all,

I tried the new VST plugin (64-bit). It appears quite unfinished. For example, if you call up a new RealTrack (Select / Select a RealTrack), the listing of RealTracks shows up usually after trying twice, but (for example) the Direct Input column does not show "Y" for any RealTrack. After clicking on Rebuild and Fix, it then shows the Direct Input field values. After selecting the Direct Input option for generation, then OK, then generation of Custom / Special Track does NOT create the Direct Input version, instead the amp'd version. So this VST plugin is basically useless for my purposes because the RealTracks selection menu does not work properly.

Regards,
Dave Clark
Posted By: Ginna Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/02/18 03:00 AM
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
the vst is 64bit only but have not tried it with JBridge

I really hope it work with JBridge since my main biab setup is Win7/32 bits. It doesn't make sense that the main application comes in both 64 and 32 and that the VST for DAW is only available in 64 bits.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/02/18 03:28 AM
Actually I remember trying it it RealBand and it was using JBridge.

EDIT: In RealBand the menus weren't staying open, not sure if that was a RealBand issue or JBridge.
If need be I would say they could compile a 32 bit one it's just I think the 64 was a priority as Mac will be 64 bit only.
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/02/18 09:58 AM
BTW, I was a little confused until I read up and saw the bbw64.exe isthe 54-bit version. It seems the 32 but is installed by default.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 64 Bit and BIAB VST is here - 12/02/18 10:37 AM
PhillyJazz, yes, exactly. Make a shortcut to bbw64.exe

And I recommend Run as Administrator.

Check in Help, About to see which version is running.
© PG Music Forums