PG Music Home

Here’s a no-brainer ....install Cakewalk and the TTS-1 64 bit synth (free)

With the release of the 64 bit version of Band-in-a-Box, you now have access to all the 64 bit synths and plugins out there.

And many of them are available for free.

For example, there is a great MIDI GM synth available, the Roland TTS-1.
This is available free from Cakewalk by BandLab. You install the free version of Cakewalk, and this installs the TTS-1, which is then available to any program that supports 64bit DXi, like Band-in-a-Box 64. After you’ve installed Cakewalk, inside Band-in-a-Box 64 bit, choose the TTS-1 from the list of available synths (accessed by pressing the DXi/VST button inside the main menu- options - midi driver dialog).

There are 3 benefits to installing and using the TTS-1 and Cakewalk.

1. Great sound with Band-in-a-Box - likely better than any MIDI sound you’ve heard before with Band-in-a-Box. The TTS-1 is from Roland and has great sounds, and based on the famous Sound Canvas sounds. That means the sounds are balanced to sound great with existing MIDI styles in Band-in-a-Box, because we’ve always made our styles using the Roland Sound Canvas.

2. Better CPU Performance. The TTS-1 has lower overhead than many synths. It is especially useful if you have lots of programs and processes running, because it doesn’t use much CPU.

3. Cakewalk is a fabulous DAW, considered by many to be the best DAW available. Getting it for free is a no-brainer.

You can get more information and download here...
https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

There’s a review of the TTS-1 synth and some docs here. https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/exploring-sonar-4s-tts1-synth
I have had better performance using TTS-1, and it generally sounds better to me {Electric Pianos/Fingered Bass/Standard Drums}. I also like the interface better than the VSTSynthFont64...
When you install Cakewalk, you also get a bunch of free DX audio effect plugins (these automatically appear in Band-in-a-Box):

Sonitus:fx Compressor
Sonitus:fx Delay
Sonitus:fx Equalizer
Sonitus:fx Gate
Sonitus:fx Modulator
Sonitus:fx Multiband
Sonitus:fx Phase
Sonitus:fx Reverb
Sonitus:fx Surround
Sonitus:fx SurroundComp
Sonitus:fx Wahwah
Thanks, done !
Thanks, I will try it.
I downloaded it and will give it a try.

Thanks bunches!

...Deb
Thank you! Great information and I will try Cakewalk and that synth.

The statement "Cakewalk is a fabulous DAW, considered by many to be the best DAW available" is a bold one smile (me being a Cubase fanboy).

Thanks again!
Will

NB: How do they earn money by giving a DAW away for free?
I liked and use sonar some, but thought is was not as intuitive as studio one by presonus. But now I like bandlab cakewalk even less too cluttered and crazy. I do like TT-S though.
That's a strong endorsement but completely justified in my biased opinion.

Not mentioned is you will need to create a free account with BandLab. Once you have a BandLab account you can download and install the BandLab Assistant. BandLab Assistant acts as a user interface with the BandLab website and as a file upload / download manager for BandLab products.

The Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) installation includes the Roland TTS-1 by default. However, CbB also includes some bonus material under the BandLab Assistant add-ons tab.

The bonus material includes the Cakewalk Studio VST Instrument Suite which includes electric bass, a drum kit, electric piano and strings. These will work inside CbB and 64 bit Band-in-a-Box.

I have not tried the drum replacer but (I think) what it does is replace poorly recorded drum sounds with drum audio samples.

The Melodyne is the very restricted trial version available from the Melodyne website. My advice is don't select it. Be aware you can not use Window's Control Panel to uninstall the trial version.

Theme editor allows you to customize the look of the CbB interface.

I've added some screenshots below to give you an overview of the BandLab Assistant and CbB interface with a loaded MIDI file.[b][/b]

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Attached picture Clipboard02.jpg
Attached picture Clipboard03.jpg
Attached picture Clipboard05.jpg
I don't use BIAB that much. I do most of my work in RealBand. How can I use TTS-1 in RealBand. Where do I find it. I currently use jbridge for 64bit plugins. Mike
Jim,
Thanks for those helpful installation tips.
Peter
Originally Posted By: mkg50
I don't use BIAB that much. I do most of my work in RealBand. How can I use TTS-1 in RealBand. Where do I find it. I currently use jbridge for 64bit plugins. Mike

Mike,

The 32-bit version of TTS-1 needs to be installed for it to be picked up by Realband. Because jbridge only works with VSTs, and TTS-1 is a DXi, it is not capable of acting as a bridge between TTS-1 and Realband.

Since I haven't installed Cakewalk by Bandlab, I am unaware if there is an option to install the 32-bit version of TTS-1. Hopefully someone who reads this and who has the Bandlab version of the program will chime in.

Regards,
Noel
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
Jim,
Thanks for those helpful installation tips.
Peter
I hope some will find it helpful.
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Originally Posted By: mkg50

Mike,

The 32-bit version of TTS-1 needs to be installed for it to be picked up by Realband. Because jbridge only works with VSTs, and TTS-1 is a DXi, it is not capable of acting as a bridge between TTS-1 and Realband.

Since I haven't installed Cakewalk by Bandlab, I am unaware if there is an option to install the 32-bit version of TTS-1. Hopefully someone who reads this and who has the Bandlab version of the program will chime in.

Regards,
Noel

Thanks for the info Noel.
Cakewalk by BandLab does not offer or provide a 32 bit version of anything including the TTS-1.

TTS-1 32 bit does exist though. The TTS-1 was originally released as an accessory for Sonar (professional grade daw products) and Cakewalk (consumer grade daw and other products) in 2004. If you can find an older Cakewalk or Sonar product for sale (check Craigslist or eBay) at the right price it might be worth buying and installing just for the content. +++ HERE +++ is an example I think is reasonable.

Cakewalk Music Creator was a consumer grade daw that PG Music sold for many years. I've had Music Creator 2, 3, 4 and 6 and paid $49 each for the boxed version. If you like the daw, it's nice to have a printed manual on hand. All versions of Music Creator were 32 bit.
Thank you very much Peter, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

The TTS-1 seems to be exactly what I've been looking for; a decent quality VSTi I can use in BiaB.
I have Kontakt and many Libraries, but I wanted something simple to test arrangements before
I export them to my DAW.
One little glitch with it is the primary kick drum will not respond to velocity, it's locked at 127 making it way too loud in most cases. When you first use it in Biab, a box pops up asking do you want to change the default bass drum to number 36. Say yes. Or, the TTS-1 does allow you to go into the various drum kits and edit them so you can replace that offending kick with another one yourself but the one Biab uses as the new default sounds pretty good.

Bob
The risk is that once you try Cakewalk by Bandlab and make it work as it should with the BIAB plug-in, Real Band will become well... how to put it... useless? Pointless? Oblivious? Obsolete?

I still use Real band as a midi file player, using the Coyote engine, but after hearing the same midi files played with Cakewalk and the TTS-1 engine, I'm really not looking forward to go back, to be completely honest.

As a DAW, Cakewalk is simply light years ahead from Real Band, and I just don't see any justification for the PG Music team to invest in more R&D for it just to play catch-up with the rest of the DAW market.

Before Cakewalk by Bandlab, I've been using the free version of a DAW called Tracktion, now in v. 7.0, where the its next evolution's called Waveform v. 9.0 at the moment. Another very powerful DAW with a bit different UI paradigm than the others, but with a workflow just as good as any other, although it's required to "get the hang of it".
I have recently installed BIAB Ultra on the HD supplied. Since it is 32 bit by default, how difficult is it to change the settings to 64 bit. I have Cakewalk by Bandlab already?

Bernie
Originally Posted By: Bernie
I have recently installed BIAB Ultra on the HD supplied. Since it is 32 bit by default, how difficult is it to change the settings to 64 bit. I have Cakewalk by Bandlab already?

Bernie

All you need to do is load the bbw64.exe instead of the bbw.exe file. You can make a shortcut to the bbw64.exe to make it easier. These files are located in your \bb folder.
I slightly disagree with you on this one Pete, cakewalk is a typical DAW like a Studio one, Cubase, Reaper, etc. Realband has the BiaB engine internal so you can regenerate and add in a DAW things quickly. At some point the VSTi might make it unnecessary but still it has a lot of powerful options no other DAW has. It might not be as polished as the main DAWs but it does a lot more in some areas. I am hoping that the plugin brings this capability to main stream DAWs, but till then RB is still a great tool in the bag.
Thank you for the reply Brian
Originally Posted By: RobH
Realband has the BiaB engine internal so you can regenerate and add in a DAW things quickly.

That's is the only thing I use Realband for.
After I set up the chords and style in BiaB, I load it into RB and add any Real Tracks that might work and export to my DAW.
I have the Edirol Hypercanvas 32 bit version and I'm surprised that the known bug with the kick drum not responding to velocity changes wasn't fixed on the port to a 64 bit version. but as jazzmammal says all you need to do is change the default in BIAB preferences or if you have exported a track already transpose the dud midi kick drum to the one that works. personally i can't hear the difference between the two in a mix
The hypercanvas was originally 32 bit and both vst and dxi versions came in the same box (i've got it upstairs!).

this site claims to offer a vst version for free so jbridge will make it work with BIAB 64 bit - just use a virus scanner when you download but as the program is now available for free download with cakewalk it probably isn't too likely to be a scam

https://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Windows-PC/Hyper-Canvas-VST-FREE.html
apologies the site seems to offer the update only - not the base program
The TTS-1 is 15 years old and is a Roland product. Roland stopped updating it years ago so nobody's going to fix that kick drum bug. They won't even provide a Win 10 driver for my Sonic Cell. Roland makes some excellent products but their lack of follow on updates sucks.

Bob
Can someone clarify for me? I am apprehensive of downloading this entire content in order to get the TTS-1 synth sounds. I don't need a new DAW since Reaper is my go to. But this TTS-1 may be needed since I am losing CoyteForte due to the new BB64.

So what exactly am I signing up for if I download the "Cakewalk by Bandlab"? Is this a on-line service? Sorry for all the questions, I actually am feeling very old trying to keep up with all this stuff and wondering if this effort is of any real value to my music....

Dan
Dan, I was a very long-time user of SONAR and Cakewalk Pro Audio before that. I jumped ship when I saw the BandLab site - it looked like it was for kids with no music theory. If you want to feel old and tired, look at that.

Then Cakewalk by Bandlab was released, and this turns out to be SONAR Platinum, repackaged without third party plugins, and all for free. For a while, the old SONAR User Forum held on as the only place for support. Last week BandLab created a new forum, so it looks like they really will start to be a complete solution. So, don't let the BandLab iPhone app appearance put you off. Cakewalk by Bandlab is a great product and a deal. And I think you could figure out how to keep the TTS synth if you decided to delete Cakewalk.
Info and guidance is Much appreciated Matt.
Privacy and the ability to use the DAW program offline were concerns raised in the Cakewalk forum when the sale was first announced. Those concerns appear to have been fully addressed by BandLab through changes made to the BandLab Assistant.

BandLab has both online and offline components. Online participation is completely voluntary and is not necessary except to check, download and install updates.

An email address and password is needed to open a BandLab account. A BandLab account is required to download the BandLab Assistant program. The BandLab Assistant program acts as an account and file manager so it needs to be installed to download and install the Cakewalk by BandLab program file.

Once the Cakewalk by BandLab program file is installed it's yours. You may choose to uninstall the BandLab Assistant program and Cakewalk by BandLab will still run without any limitations. However, should you want to check for updates you would need to install the BandLab Assistant program once more. You may also choose to exit and close the BandLab Assistant program by clicking on the "X" icon in the top, right corner of the program header. A different choice is to leave BandLab Assistant installed but set it to run only when you want it to.

The BandLab Assistant program has a round, cogwheel settings icon in the top left corner of the header. Click to open the settings button.

The settings window also has a "Sign Out" button that will sign you out of your BandLab account. If you press this button, the next time you start the BandLab Assistant program it will prompt you for the email address and password you provided when you set up your BandLab account.

The "Launch on startup" switch is set to the on position the BandLab Assistant program automatically runs whenever you turn on your computer. Place the switch in the off position to disable automatic startup.

The middle of the settings window has a large "Quit" button that closes down and exits the BandLab Assistant program. Of course the BandLab Assistant settings window also has the exit "X" icon in the top, right header location.

I hope this addressed your concerns.

Thanks Jim, I have gotten comfortable with installing and jumping through lots of hoops and installing file managers which connect to the mother-site for upgrades and version management and authorization. It is a burden we bare if you to get many of the modern applications. My concern here is do I want this burden for this product. I am still on the fence, but this info you have provided is helpful in saving me a lot of time in figuring this out. Thanks much.
Dan, to point out another option understand the TTS-1 is ok but the sounds are still a bit dated. Decent yes but not really all that great. If you want to use BB64 you have the new SynthFont 64. The soundfont that's included with it sounds decent but not that great either. The big deal here is it's capable of loading in huge soundfont libraries like over 2 gigs. A 2 gig soundfont should sound pretty good. They're not free though, you would have to do some google searches and check them out.

Bob
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Dan, to point out another option understand the TTS-1 is ok but the sounds are still a bit dated. Decent yes but not really all that great. If you want to use BB64 you have the new SynthFont 64. The soundfont that's included with it sounds decent but not that great either. The big deal here is it's capable of loading in huge soundfont libraries like over 2 gigs. A 2 gig soundfont should sound pretty good. They're not free though, you would have to do some google searches and check them out.

Bob

A big advantage of using soundfonts is that you can personalize them. For example you can have one just to orchestration, one for rock, one for jazz, etc. Also you can change individual patches. For example if you find a better trumpet soundfont you can replace the one in your GM soundfont. Also you can replace those helicopter and other mostly useless sounds with patches like more strings, brass, choirs etc. In other words with soundfonts, although dated like the TTS-1, you have a lot more options available.

Just my opinion and YMMV.
Originally Posted By: MarioD

A big advantage of using soundfonts is that you can personalize them. For example you can have one just to orchestration, one for rock, one for jazz, etc. Also you can change individual patches. For example if you find a better trumpet soundfont you can replace the one in your GM soundfont. Also you can replace those helicopter and other mostly useless sounds with patches like more strings, brass, choirs etc. In other words with soundfonts, although dated like the TTS-1, you have a lot more options available.

Mario, have you ever tried making your own soundfont set? I haven't, although I imagine it to be an extremely time-consuming, passion-driven task, isn't? Bless the hearts of those brave folks that did it and decided to share it with the world!
I was sampled back in the early 70s on my flugelhorn. It was painstaking. And that was only one sound per pitch. Imagine how difficult it is now, with all the nuances of playing that are available (volume, timbre, attack etc. ).
Originally Posted By: LtKojak
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Mario, have you ever tried making your own soundfont set? I haven't, although I imagine it to be an extremely time-consuming, passion-driven task, isn't? Bless the hearts of those brave folks that did it and decided to share it with the world!

I did make many of them back in the day when I was using soundfonts as my main sound source. It is very easy. You just use the soundfont librarian https://soundfont-librarian.software.informer.com/
and move soundfonts around. You copy from one soundfont from one set into your target soundfont set.

If you mean recording an instrument and making it into a soundfont then no.

There are many soundfonts available, many free, some shareware and some pro ones for purchase.
My take on cakewalk is that much like sonar it is a rich and powerful DAW, however I always found it to be really cluttered and required a lot of fiddling around to make it useable to my workflow. I did record a few nice tracks in it back a couple years ago, but found I got a ton of work done with far less fiddling around in Studio one. Sometimes I still miss the old Multitrack studio program I used for a long time that Mac suggested. It was the most stable program I ever used. And simple as can be.
RobH,

Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) has a few features that can help simplify and declutter the look of the GUI.

One is to right click on the Control Bar and select modules. Everything on the control bar belongs in a module so by selecting and deselecting modules the control bar can be as simple or complex as you desire. Then there are the windows that perform similar to the Windows in Band-in-a-Box or RealBand. You can have a window for tracks, window for loops, window for mixing and so on. So the next suggestion is to have open only the windows you need to perform whatever task you are doing.

Once you've set up the screen to perform whatever task you want to perform save a screenset. A screenset is a snapshot of the current layout of various views and windows in a project, including which windows are open, their size, position, zoom level and whether they are docked or floating. You can create up to 10 screensets per project and freely switch between screensets at any time.

There is also templates. Templates make it easy to create new projects with predefined settings.

On another subject, the MultiTrack Studio daw (MTS) is alive and well. For those seeking a powerful but easy to use DAW, MTS has a lot to offer. It's claim to fame is a built-in midi soft synth and the program is not computer resource hungry. The synths are modeled instruments so the program does not occupy a lot of storage space. +++ HERE +++ is a link to learn more about the program. The 3 minute video demonstration is a lot of fun to watch and listen to!
MarioD <<< A big advantage of using soundfonts is that you can personalize them. For example you can have one just to orchestration, one for rock, one for jazz, etc. Also you can change individual patches. For example if you find a better trumpet soundfont you can replace the one in your GM soundfont. Also you can replace those helicopter and other mostly useless sounds with patches like more strings, brass, choirs etc. In other words with soundfonts, although dated like the TTS-1, you have a lot more options available. >>>

I played around with creating sfz files and was able to create one fairly quickly and without knowing what I was doing by finding a tutorial on YouTube and the instructor had a screen shot of a sfz that was larger and more complex than what I had the ability to do myself. I paused the screen and copied his text.
Then I inserted my samples I had made so the file used my samples to sound out. It worked quite well and I had a fairly complex and complete sfz.

MarioD <<<If you mean recording an instrument and making it into a soundfont then no. >>>

Mario, the conversation led me along this train of thought from your quote,"For example if you find a better trumpet..." to Can I make a better trumpet part for my song?

For Example, you have a song with a trumpet RealTrack that you wish it could play a more complex or recognizable riff than what the RT itself can generate. It seems possible to me that using a template such as I did above, I could generate 7 tracks of trumpet RT playing over my project chord chart and take samples from those track generations and insert them into my sfz template thus creating an sfz modeled from my project Chord Chart and RealTrack instrument.

Could I not use a mixture of RT Trumpet and six tracks of midi trumpet creating more complex riffs and chords and mute/unmute between the seven tracks to generate, render and export a WAV mix of my Chord Chart BIAB project creating a custom track to be imported back into my BIAB project as a Performance Track?

I recall a BIAB tutorial video from a few years back where a midi bass riff was used to place a specific riff into a bar replacing the BIAB RT Bass for that bar using this method and it was indistinguishable.

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
MarioD <<< A big advantage of using soundfonts is that you can personalize them. For example you can have one just to orchestration, one for rock, one for jazz, etc. Also you can change individual patches. For example if you find a better trumpet soundfont you can replace the one in your GM soundfont. Also you can replace those helicopter and other mostly useless sounds with patches like more strings, brass, choirs etc. In other words with soundfonts, although dated like the TTS-1, you have a lot more options available. >>>

I played around with creating sfz files and was able to create one fairly quickly and without knowing what I was doing by finding a tutorial on YouTube and the instructor had a screen shot of a sfz that was larger and more complex than what I had the ability to do myself. I paused the screen and copied his text.
Then I inserted my samples I had made so the file used my samples to sound out. It worked quite well and I had a fairly complex and complete sfz.

MarioD <<<If you mean recording an instrument and making it into a soundfont then no. >>>

Mario, the conversation led me along this train of thought from your quote,"For example if you find a better trumpet..." to Can I make a better trumpet part for my song?

For Example, you have a song with a trumpet RealTrack that you wish it could play a more complex or recognizable riff than what the RT itself can generate. It seems possible to me that using a template such as I did above, I could generate 7 tracks of trumpet RT playing over my project chord chart and take samples from those track generations and insert them into my sfz template thus creating an sfz modeled from my project Chord Chart and RealTrack instrument.

Yes of course. If one is good at slicing audio one could slice individual sections or notes and create an entire new wav file with exactly the notes one wants.
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Could I not use a mixture of RT Trumpet and six tracks of midi trumpet creating more complex riffs and chords and mute/unmute between the seven tracks to generate, render and export a WAV mix of my Chord Chart BIAB project creating a custom track to be imported back into my BIAB project as a Performance Track?

I recall a BIAB tutorial video from a few years back where a midi bass riff was used to place a specific riff into a bar replacing the BIAB RT Bass for that bar using this method and it was indistinguishable.

Yes this is possible IF you have a MIDI sound source that is close to the tonal qualities of the RT.

Both of your ideas can be done in a DAW. Depending on the MIDI, RT or wav slicing expertise of the originator all ideas are possible. Soundfonts are the simplest while your ideas are more involved. YMMV
Thanks for answering. Maybe a future rainy day project. I've always thought the thousands of hours of recorded audio in BIAB are prime for sampling.
Charlie,
Yes, good ideas. Thanks.
Hi Will,
I e-mailed Bandlab with that same question when I downloaded Cakewalk some weeks ago.They replied stating that they have a comprehensive range of monetised products alongside Cakewalk,which presumably came as part of the acquisition deal when they took over the remains of the original vendor earlier this year.
The DAW is good as it is the core version of the flagship Platinum version without most of the 3rd party VSTs.
Hi Experts,
Having been using TTS-1 as my default BIAB synth since downloading Cakewalk a few weeks ago,I'm now finding that since Build 610 I only have the choice of Sforzando or SynthFont64.When I locate and select TTS-1.dll,I am informed that this is not a valid plugin.

This is using BIAB 2019 64 bit.

Am I making a basic mistake here,if do what's the fix to get TTS-1 back?

Cheers

Neil
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
RobH,

Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) has a few features that can help simplify and declutter the look of the GUI.

One is to right click on the Control Bar and select modules.

Another is to use the Lenses feature.
https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Lenses.1.html

The program comes with several "lenses" that try to orient the GUI for the tax at hand (tracking, mixing, mastering, etc.) This hides things that aren't particularly relevant to that task. And you can build your own lenses as desired.

Regarding the comparisons with Cubase and StudioOne, I own all three. StudioOne is the best for packaging a CD. Cubase has some great tools for composing with chords and sampling. They all have their strengths. For everyday tasks, I find myself using Cakewalk more than the others. They all have learning curves, but I find I get the best sounding results faster with Cakewalk for most of the things I do. And I don't use it because it is free. I paid for a half dozen versions of SONAR before Bandlab made it a free product.

Regarding the question about business model, Bandlab is an Asian (Singapore) company.The ethos in that part of the world is quite a but different than the dog-eat-dog US economy. Bandlab is privately held, and well funded. This puts the owner in a position to look at the long term game. Bandlab is all about creating music collaboratively and interactively with ultimate platform flexibility. And it is about getting your music noticed and shared. I believe they decided to pick up Cakewalk for several reasons, including:

1) there was a lot of technology that could be shared in Bandlab's other platforms
2) If you are serious about publishing music, you eventually need to get the whole thing into a professional production environment in order to give it a fully polished sound. Bandlab had tools for spontaneous music composition, but they had nothing to produce the final product to commercial standards. Cakewalk filled that hole.

But how do they make money? It is a good question. They say they will not charge for the DAW, but they may charge for services related to the production and publication of the music projects. One of their competitors is SoundCloud, which charges a fortune for file storage. That might be an area for Bandlab to monetize their investment. But note that they also own a large chain of music stores, so they may not require this software to go directly to the bottom line. They may view this as part of the overall atmosphere for their total business.
Thank that certainly helps. I owned and used cakewalk back when it was on floppy disk, an Cakewalk music creator thru 5 versions. Then purchased Sonar X1 and used it. I bought studio one 2.65 pro and used it some due to its comping feature. Cakewalks compungseems equal or even better now as the bounce is one click rather than two. I do like the chord track feature in S1 4. I wish Cakewalk had that feature.

I pulled away for a few years using a program called Multitrackstudios and then spent considerable time in Real Band so I lost focus on Cakewalk and it has changed somewhat. I feel the need to settle into one system and really learn it. Hence the reason I ask these questions. With the plugin developing I can see a good one program environment for my purposes.

Owning both S1 and cake how do they compare in Integration with Melodyne. I know Celemony and Presonus are tight partners does Cakewalk use Melodyne as effectively?

Owning both S1 and cake how do they compare in Integration with Melodyne. I know Celemony and Presonus are tight partners does Cakewalk use Melodyne as effectively?

I don't know if Cakewalk is ARA2 ready yet but Studio One, Logic Pro X and Reaper are. Here is a demo of a video showing it in action with Studio One Pro. Demo Video

So what exactly can ARA2 do? Here is a quote from Celemony.

"With ARA 2, the exchange of information between DAWs and plug-ins is even more comprehensive, which makes additional applications possible. The new ARA 2 specification allows, among other things, the simultaneous editing of multiple tracks, the transfer of chord track information between the DAW and the plug-in, seamless clip borders that make the manual setting of crossfades superfluous, Undo interlocking with the DAW, and much else besides.
To profit from the new possibilities, both programs – the DAW and the plug-in – must support the ARA 2 specification. Fortunately, ARA 2 is considerably more flexible and can be integrated more easily into a multitude of DAWs as well as supported by a very wide variety of plug-ins. What features then become available depends, of course, upon the specific plug-in and DAW in each case involved. One pairing may allow only simple sound editing, another perhaps even automatic tempo and harmony adjustments."
Originally Posted By: NeilC
Hi Experts,
Having been using TTS-1 as my default BIAB synth since downloading Cakewalk a few weeks ago,I'm now finding that since Build 610 I only have the choice of Sforzando or SynthFont64.When I locate and select TTS-1.dll,I am informed that this is not a valid plugin.

This is using BIAB 2019 64 bit.

Am I making a basic mistake here,if do what's the fix to get TTS-1 back?

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil,

I see you discovered the solution in another thread. For those who have this problem and wish to find a solution, navigate to the link below...

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=514006#Post514006

...and read Neil's post. These's also a link to a post by Kent in jford's initial post. Kent gives a different insight that could also be valuable.

Regards,
Noel
I have BIAB 2019 with Build 610. Cakewalk TTS-1 is still there in both 32 and 64 versions.

StudioOne and Cakewalk both support ARA and have for several years -- I think they both support ARA2 StudioOne has ARA2 implemented, I can't find a specific support statement about Cakewalk. Os it is most accurate to say that the ARA implementations are equivalent, and the ARA2 implementations probably will also be equivalent, but that's a moving target.

I think the Melodyne (original ARA) support is equivalent. In other words, you can operate directly on regions without having the "transfer" the material into Melodyne. ARA2 should get both products the ability to use the multi-track editing in Melodyne.

Steinberg has committed to a patch to Cubase 10 early in 2019 to provide ARA support for Melodyne. This is an important step for the industry and also for Steinberg. Steinberg likes to imagine nobody else mas technology as good as theirs. Cubase has a feature that competes with Melodyne. It is good, but it is not as rich as Melodyne. I am glad to see Steinberg taking a more open, inclusive stance these days. I will upgrade to Cobase 10 as soon as they release that patch. The 10.0 level has been a little buggy for some people.
Actually Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) supports the ARA 1 standard but has not implemented support for ARA 2.

Questions in the old Cakewalk forum about if or when CbB will support ARA 2 were not answered by the CbB development team. The question has not been asked in the forum.

I believe Sonar Platinum included Melodyne Essentials which is limited to one track at a time. CbB includes the free trial version of Melodyne as an optional add-on. However, once the trial version is installed it is not listed in Windows Programs separately so it can later be uninstalled. CbB can access any third party content you may have accumulated as a Sonar user so if you have Melodyne Essentials or if you have the full version it can be used in CbB.
Hi,
I have Cakewalk installed
All cakewalk dxi show up..
Tried to follow all your recommendations to use TTS-1
But in my 2021 biab version I'm still unable to replace coyote dxi with TTS-1
I'm using biab 2021 64 bit
Some clue?

Thanks a lot for your help
Didier
Hi,
I found the answer to my question in the forum:
C:\BB\MaxPluginsToScan.txt file limited the number of counted plugins, likely because of a previous crash. Rename this file and reboot to try to scan plugins again

Deleted the file and on reboot the TTS-1 showed in the list of available plugins.
Didier
Originally Posted By: nightflying
Hi,
I found the answer to my question in the forum:
C:\BB\MaxPluginsToScan.txt file limited the number of counted plugins, likely because of a previous crash. Rename this file and reboot to try to scan plugins again

Deleted the file and on reboot the TTS-1 showed in the list of available plugins.
Didier

nightflying,

Excellent troubleshooting. I would not have thought to suggest renaming or deleting the MaxPluginsToScan.txt file.

Thank you for taking time to update this thread with your solution.
Love me some TTS. This is a really good synth and yep, great sounds.

As a note... the overhead is low.... as PG mentioned.

I heard a song years ago in the cakewalk music forums that was a classical cue for a movie. It was totally, 100% done with TTS and it's default patches. ( not even a sampler ) The creator of this song had 16 unique instances of TTS... one in each of 16 different tracks. AND... each instance was running 16 unique channels with violins, cellos, percussion, horns of different sorts, and all of the orchestral instruments. For a total of 256 different tracks. It ran flawlessly in his computer. And most impressively, it sounded really, really good. I'd have never known it was totally TTS if he hadn't told us.

Yep... it's a polyphonic synth that can run 16 channels of midi with a different instrument and source midi track for each channel. Way cool!

I have a tutorial of sorts on my website that can get you started with the poly aspects of TTS. I used to use this a lot back in my early days. http://herbhartley.com/hh2_edited_slimmer_005.htm scroll down to ADVANCED TTS set up and operation.

Get it if you like a good synth and use it for the default player in BB & RB. You won't regret it.
Does anyone know how to make settings changes in the TTS-1 mixer stick. Seems to be one-way, with only changes in BIAB mixer staying put. Would like to be able to select instruments and use the TTS-1 mixer features.

Also, if someone has a link to TTS-1 setup for map etc in BIAB.
As far as I know the TTS-1 sound module mixer settings can not be saved as part of the saved settings in a Band-in-a-Box song project file.

However, you can save TTS-1 settings in a TTS-1 performance file. One way to navigate to the performance file save and load buttons is to (1) open the TTS-1 interface, (2) press the System button, (3) press the Options button and (4) select the Options tab.

I've attached a guide to using the TTS-1 I've found very informative and useful.

Description: Access TTS-1 Performance file buttons.
Attached picture Clipboard01.png

Description: Using the TTS-1 Reference Guide
Attached File
Using TTS-1.pdf  (9 downloads)
How do I know that I'm using it or have it installed correctly? Do I just choose "General Midi?" My list now includes 128 patches including a helicopter at 126. Does that mean I've done it right?
Originally Posted By: doogiet
How do I know that I'm using it or have it installed correctly?.

Once you have TTS-1 installed, open Band-in-a-Box.
Once BiaB is open press Ctrl+E (Control and the E key at the same time) to open the program settings, also known as preferences.
Select the "MIDI Driver" button.
Make sure your settings agree with the four settings highlighted in the screen shot below.

Description: BiaB MIDI Driver settings for TTS-1.
The 64 bit Cakewalk by Bandlab TTS-1 DXI soft synth has a pretty comprehensive help file that is available for viewing using a web browser.

I've converted the help file to a pdf file so you don't need a browser to view it. Unfortunately the hyperlinks don't work but the file is complete.

I've attached the file below.

Description: TTS-1 help file converted to a pdf file.
Attached File
TTS-1 User.pdf  (40 downloads)
Thanks a bunch Jim!
Peter,

I have downloaded the free version of Cakewalk, however I do not find the the TTS-1. Any tips?

Tonnie
The TTS-1 soft synth is a DXi instrument, not a VSTi instrument. Unlike VSti, the DXi location is entered into the Windows operating system registry so a program doesn't have to search for it, all Windows programs know it exists.

Open Preferences by pressing Ctrl+E then select the MIDI DRIVERS button.

When you click on the VSTi / DXi button you should see a list of sound modules that include TTS-1. If not, then your Cakewalk installation is faulty.

Thanks Jim, it was there!
Tonnie
Hello Peter and others,

my problem is, the Cakewalk synth is not available for PowerTracks 2018 (in Windows 11), after I have made the whole installation (btw the installation takes almost one hour, if I checkmark the whole incredients). There is still just the CoyoteWT there, nothing else. The question is also, where the synth has to be and what format it is.

Maybe somebody is knowing something which could help. Thank you.

Best regards

Dieter
Dieter, others may disagree, but here is my advice. Forget about TTS-1! It is ancient history and no where near represents the best product for the job in current BIAB.

For the past couple years PGM has provided a free version of VSTSynthfont. The installation file is downloaded with your BIAB version. You will need to search for a good .SF2 file to provide the sounds. But this will be the best option to get the best sounds from BIAB Midi. Come back if you need specific help on the installation. Many of the folks here use this option.

Attached picture Screenshot 2023-04-18 093004.jpg
Hello Dan (?),

thank you for the tip. Unfortunately I don't have BiaB, but just Powertracks (2018). Is the plugin anywhere else available? I did not find something useful in the net about VSTSynthfont.

Best regards

Dieter
http://www.synthfont.com/Downloads.html

There is a paid version if you don't own BIAB. However, I know nothing about Powertracks 2018 so best to see what others say.

Dan
Hello Dan,

thank you very much. In the meantime I have found a file:

VSTSynthFont64.dll

But when I try to manifest it in PT, it says: No valid VST-file.

I am not sure what PT requires.

Dieter
Not sure if Power Tracks is 32bit or 64bit.

Don't think you can use a 64bt VST in a 32bit program without something like jbridge or another bridging program.

Just my thoughts.
Groove3 has added a +++ Cakewalk by Bandlab - Getting Started +++ video tutorial series.

The 26 video tutorials last for a little more than two hours.
Quote:
You'll learn how to set up your audio interface, record audio and MIDI tracks, apply effects (reverb, delay, compression, EQ, etc.), edit your tracks, use automation, and much more! These videos are designed for new Bandlab Cakewalk users.
Originally Posted By: jcland
Not sure if Power Tracks is 32bit or 64bit.

Don't think you can use a 64bt VST in a 32bit program without something like jbridge or another bridging program.

Just my thoughts.

Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are available at the download link provided by @MusicStudent above. PowerTracks is probably a 32-bit program, so I'd try that version first.
Bandlab just released version 2024.02 of Cakewalk by Bandlab. TTS-1 is no longer included. Per the release notes:
The TTS-1 synth is no longer installed by Cakewalk, by request from Roland. This product is no longer supported and has reached end of life. Older installed versions may continue to work but it is no longer a default for insert instrument.
luckily i have the discs for the edirol hypercanvas - same thing - but as long as the tts1 works i'll use it. Any ideas for repalacement GM2 synth? What will PG be using to test their midi styles if the tts1 stops working?
does anything come with cakewalk instead?
I find the TTS-1 to be the least finicky synth I've tried with BIAB. Will miss it, if it goes away.
Have not had the best of luck with VSTSynthFont64 (especially the new current, 3.5 version).

They still have the Roland Sound Canvas VST's for sale at Sweetwater for $69, although there are only a few reviews and they're' not all stellar. Has anyone here tried it?
The only snag as I can see is that if you need to reinstall or install on a new pc the tts1won't be available. The Roland is probably an evolution of the tts1and the iffy reviews are most likely from the same people who don't like the test.
The TTS-1 was released in 2007 and is based on the Roland HyperCanvas plugin.
The Roland SoundCanvas VA includes the sound banks from all the various hardware Roland sound modules such as the MT-32, SC-55, SC-88 and SC-8880. If you write MIDI music for games or you want to make music sound like it was made in the 1980-1990s you likely need the SoundCanvas VA.

If you have an older Cakewalk product you can use the installer from that product to install the TTS-1. For example I have Cakewalk Home Studio which can load 32 or 64 bit TTS-1.

If you have TTS-1 on your computer it will not stop working, it just will not be supported. Just like Windows XP or Windows 7 still works but are no longer supported.
I'm not replying directly to Peter's post, he was just the OP

This is strictly for someone who wants or needs 32-bit TTS-1 for whatever reason – technical, personal, contrarian, spiteful, “just because,” etc. AND THE POST BELOW ASSUMES, repeat ASSUMES, that person has, or can get a copy of old Cakewalk, Sonar, or the old Cakewalk Music Creator. This also allows a way to switch between 32-bit and 64-bit TTS-1. Using the DXi this comes in handy if you are running both 32-bit and 64-bit DAW's that can use a DXi. I don't think there are more than two or three DAW's or other music apps today that can even recognize DX's & DXi's)

Yes, the first post below is less than clear. It was my usual ramblings after drinking a few too many, after a long day at work. It needs a complete rewrite and simplification; however, I have ZERO intention of doing that at this late date, so basically "Caveat Emptor" as it were.

Others have already discussed getting 64-bit TTS-1 via free Cakewalk Bandlab, use of free HAlion Sonic, VSTsynthfont, etc., etc., etc. (as the "King" would say)

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=282967

this thread is just more how-to discussion using regsvr32 – again you are on your own.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=627664&page=1

Good luck

Larry
© PG Music Forums