PG Music Home
Posted By: jford DX/DXi versus VST/VSTi - 12/31/18 01:00 PM
Greetings folks - I've seen several postings about folks trying to load DXi synths by selecting the DLL file and then it just doesn't work.

Unfortunately, even though you probably think you shouldn't have to know the difference, you really need to know which of your plugins are DX/DXi versus VST/VSTi's. They are handled two completely different ways. Trying to load a DX/DXi with a DLL file is never going to work, because that's not how they work.

VST/VSTi's are pretty easy. For them, you just locate and load the DLL file for the effect/instrument and it works. You do have to know whether it is the 32-bit or the 64-bit version. And unless things have changed, BIAB only allows one or the other, but not both to be present at the same time (if they present themselves with the same name). 64-bit VST/VSTi's will only work in 32-bit BIAB or RealBand if you have a licensed copy of jBridge installed (you can't download the jBridge demo and make it work; you have to purchase it and request the registered version via email - there are a bunch of threads on how to do that...but I digress).

DX/DXi effects/synths, however, are "installed" into Windows and information about them is stored in the Windows Registry. When BIAB or RealBand starts up, it scans the registry for available DX/DXi effects/synths and whatever it finds, it automatically adds to the list. If you look at the BIAB VST screen, there is an options button where you can manually scan for new DX/DXi effects - sometimes you have to do that. So any available DX/DXi plugins will automatically be available in the list of plugins - you DO NOT need to add them via the "Add VSTi" command; don't even try, because it won't work. If the plugins are not there, you should either re-install and/or re-scan, but don't try to load the DLL. It won't work.

Here is a post by Kent at PG Music about how to handle missing DX/DXi's.

Hope this helps and I didn't mean to come across as heavy handed; it's just one of those things you need to know if you are going to be working with a mix of DX/DXi and VST/VSTi effects/instruments.

Happy New Year!
Posted By: NeilC Re: DX/DXi versus VST/VSTi - 12/31/18 03:04 PM
Hi John,
In my case,I'm still at a loss to explain why TTS-1(large separate thread on this one from Peter Gannon)was functioning perfectly well for me in 64 bit BIAB Build 609 without me having jBridge installed,but now fails to load as default synth under Build 610.

Am I missing something really obvious from your very informative post above,as TTS-1 appeared without any intervention from me as default synth once I'd installed Cakewalk?

Sorry if the secret lies above and I've missed it

Edit....it lies in MaxPluginsToScan.txt...set to 0...

Now set to 110 and lo and behold...

Cheers

Neil
Warrington
UK
Posted By: jford Re: DX/DXi versus VST/VSTi - 12/31/18 03:24 PM
jbridge has no effect on DX or DXi's; only VST VSTi's.

That text file has resulted in similar problems to yours in the past, so editing it allowed the program to see your DXi plugins available to you. I suspect the file either gets locked or corrupted somehow, so either editing or deleting (and allowing BIAB to recreate) is why it works for you now.
© PG Music Forums