PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude BIAB 2019, low volume on strings track. - 01/27/19 09:08 AM
Quite bizarre, I have never seen this problem before.

I'm running BIAB 2019, latest build.

For some reason the volume on the strings track is very low. I have the volume slider set to 127, and still it is about 12db lower than the volume the other tracks (with their sliders set to 90).

I have tried both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions, no difference, and I have tried different realtracks on the string track, doesn't matter which realtrack I use, the volume is always about 12 db lower than the other tracks.

No one else has complained about this as far as I can tell, so it must be a setting here, but which setting?

BTW I installed BIAB2019 over BIAB2018 (which was installed on top of BIAB2017, etc.) and none of the previous versions had this problem.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB 2019, low volume on strings track. - 01/27/19 09:33 AM
Dave,

Volumes are also set in styles using Stylemaker. PG Music do this so that when the mixer volumes are all set to 90, the style sounds 'balanced'.

With the above in mind, it might be that the style you've loaded has a reduction of volume present for the Strings track. This could happen if the instrument that was originally on that track has a particularly loud sound.

To check this, try the following...

1. Under "File" select "Stylemaker | Edit current style" (see the top image below -- #1, #2, #3).

2. Now use "Save As" (#4) in style maker to save the style with a different name (it's best not to overwrite the current style as it will then be lost) -- the name can only have 8 letters max.

3. Click on the "Misc" button (#5).

4. On the bottom right of the next window, click on "More" (#6 on the middle image).

5. Now, as shown in the bottom image, select the Strings track (#7) and check to see if there is dB offset value (#8) -- negative values lower a track's volume and positive value increase it.

Stylemaker is a pretty amazing tool and it's well worth playing around with a bit.

Hope this helps,
Noel

Attached picture stylemaker 1 2019.jpg
Attached picture stylemaker 2 2019.JPG
Attached picture stylemaker 3 2019.JPG
Bingo! Just when you think you know this program you discover something new.

That was it, string track was set to -9 DB.

Thanks Noel, I owe you a beer! grin
This is a known condition but as Noel says it is the volume set by a style. I don’t think recent styles do this but in the early days of BIAB, strings were almost always too low.
Never ran across it before, just got lucky I guess. It would probably make more sense if the volume offset was set by the realtrack, not the style? So if I swap in a different realtrack, the volume offset would be adjusted accordingly?

But not a big deal, I know how to deal with it now.

Thanks, guys!

BTW, 2019 64 bit runs great here, very happy with this new version.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB 2019, low volume on strings track. - 01/27/19 11:03 AM
I'm glad that was the solution, Dave. If I ever get over to Canada, I'll take you up on that beer smile

Noel
© PG Music Forums