PG Music Home
Posted By: critter Acronis back up - 02/07/19 04:26 AM
Will soon be changing computers, does Acronis do the job to transfer all files? If other options please let me know.
Posted By: AlternTor Re: Acronis back up - 02/07/19 09:00 AM
I've been using Acronis for years its good, if you BackUp your whole drive (C) with BiaB in it and transfer over to new machine should be no worries with authorization etc. Just to be safe de-authorize the current BiaB before doing so.
If your just doing acronis BiaB tib from windows you will need all the other files that goes with windows and thats a pain in the fingers.
Posted By: Andy Ling Re: Acronis back up - 02/07/19 09:04 AM
You can just copy all the BIAB files "by hand" then run just the BIAB installer on the new machine to set up the system to point at the right folders, copy DLLs etc.

Unregistering on the old machine is good advice.

HTH
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: Acronis back up - 02/08/19 10:11 AM
I really like that method.. I do a file backup of my BIAB folder every night. A re-install makes sure fonts and setting are all re-integrated into the OS. De-Re registering is a key step.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Acronis back up - 02/08/19 11:16 AM
He is changing computers so I think that he is talking about Acronis's Universal Restore. I use Acronis for my backups but have no idea how the Universal Restore works. Does anyone have any experience with this and if so could they explain how it works.

I am interested also.
Posted By: Jazzman Re: Acronis back up - 02/08/19 12:43 PM
Hi MarioD

Like you I have used Acronis for a number of years and its been a life saver
My understanding of Acronis Universal is that you can choose the elements you require to put on to a different computer and skip the possible different issues like the operating system for example
I did it on my change over a couple of years ago and it saved hours of reloading
jazzman
Posted By: jford Re: Acronis back up - 02/08/19 12:53 PM
I've used Acronis for years (and have restored images a number of times as the result of failed hard drives, but only on the same computer). But I have never done a Universal Restore from one PC to another. Sounds like Jazzman had some success with it. I would obviously take a full image of the new computer first, just in case the Universal Restore didn't.

With Windows, I imagine you need to make sure your versions match (home versus pro) so that licensing/authorization at the O/S level works properly.
© PG Music Forums