PG Music Home
Posted By: Navid Syed re-harmonist feature in BIAB 2019 - 02/16/19 06:26 PM
I am trying to record MIDI on melody track with some basic chords now I am trying to extract the chords from my recorded midi file so I can make some basic arrangement based on that chord data ? any guidance I am using BIAB 2019 megapak
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: re-harmonist feature in BIAB 2019 - 02/16/19 06:47 PM
In BIAB:

File\Import\Import Chords from Midi File

Shortcut: Ctrl-Alt-I

Alternately, Save your midi file and opening it in BIAB, it should automatically analyze and populate the Chord Chart with the chords from the song.
Posted By: Navid Syed Re: re-harmonist feature in BIAB 2019 - 02/16/19 07:26 PM
so after I am done recording the MIDI track, I have to save the MIDI file before I can utilize this feature??
Posted By: Noel96 Re: re-harmonist feature in BIAB 2019 - 02/16/19 08:44 PM
Hi Navid,

The Reharmonist feature found in "Edit | Chords | Auto-generate Chord Reharmonization" is designed to work with a MIDI melody recorded on the Melody or Sololist track (if I'm reading the Help files correctly).

From your original post, you have recorded chords on the Melody track and not a melody. How these will be interpreted by the Reharmonist, I do not know. Try it and find out.

What I suggest you do before running any of these modifying routines is to save your song file as a MGU file first. Then save a second copy with a slightly different name and work on this second copy. Should you ever need to get back to the original file, it's then just a matter of loading in the first file you saved.

If you have recorded a chord progression, Charlie's approach will be a productive one.

My thoughts are that rather than using the Reharmonist, it might be more productive for you to use "Edit | Chords | Auto-generate Chord Substitutions".

If you've got a second copy of the original file saved, as suggested above (so you don't lose the original recording), I suggest trying all approached and seeing which one gives you the best results.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Navid Syed Re: re-harmonist feature in BIAB 2019 - 02/17/19 06:48 PM
Thank you guys very helpful information, I am new to BIAB 2019 used it many year ago then decided it was too complicated for simple tasks so all I am trying to do is record a simple melody line with chords inside BIAB and want to use the backing accompaniment or BIAB great styles/ real tracks to create a simple arrangement so far I am having a little hard time, if I record my MIDI track on melody track and save as midi to clip board and then extract the chords it works ok but if I change style my chords stays but my melody line is gone replaced by the default melody track of the chosen style? is there a way or guide in manual I can refer to? I want to record melody line using chords with my left hand hands so chords and melody line is on same midi channel is there a video guide for this?
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: re-harmonist feature in BIAB 2019 - 02/18/19 04:55 PM
Nope, melody stays, chords too, only some times the feel of a selected style doesn't fit regarding tempo. You could then mess with 'half-time' etc, but there might be errors regarding chord changes within a bar.

PS Just tried the reharmonist feature ... fun, though it didn't come up with anything making sense to my ears LoL. Maybe it's more something for the jazzers though.
© PG Music Forums