PG Music Home
Posted By: wish Deleting 2018 version [Resolved] - 02/24/19 07:14 PM
Hi....sort of 2 questions here.
I have been happy with the 64 bit 2019 version of BiaB running from a portable hard drive apart from occasions when playing back a song it slows right down and I presume this may because of the age and size of my computer??...or the hard drive is struggling to keep up with the data.

Is the any reason I cannot delete the 2018 version from my laptop and expect the 2019 version to run by itself from the portable hard drive?....any startup files that kick in on the laptop to get the 2019 version to run?

I understand this may not improve the slowing down but I presume then by freeing up the space it would give me the option to transfer the 2019 version back to the laptop. (I sort of like the idea of the portable hard drive though)
I did not have the room to do this initially and hence the portable seagate 2tb hard drive.
Cheers
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Deleting 2018 version - 02/24/19 07:26 PM
It's a bit dangerous for users giving advice here for someone to delete something. Having said that disclaimer, I think the answer depends on how you installed version 2019.

If you have ANY uncertainty about what you are doing, I suggest you contact PG Music Support and run it by them.

In theory, yes, you can delete the 2018 installation on your internal hard drive by just deleting the /BB folder. First you would want to save any of your songs or styles. You would also want to make sure you have the installation files for any Bonus Paks you may have bought. Also, if you think you might ever want to install the 2018 version again, then first deactivate it.

If you installed 2019 by using the minimal install, then the files you need to run from the external drive are loaded onto your laptop, and you can delete the 2018 /BB folder.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Deleting 2018 version - 02/24/19 09:58 PM
Is your BiaB 2019 a new install or an upgrade? This may make a difference so be sure to contact PGMusic prior to deleting anything.
Posted By: wish Re: Deleting 2018 version - 02/24/19 10:25 PM
Thanks you the interest.
I believe I had a complete install with 2019, ie received the hard drive from BiaB and installed that and all the bonus packs on my account onto the seagate. I have also copied all my songs onto that drive as well.
I have left the 2018 BiaB and Realband untouched as there were issues unresolved back in December with the 2019 versions so I thought I would start fresh with a portable drive.

I have not used the midi side even though I have a keyboard so unsure what happens there.
Still unsure why the seagate drive songs slows down periodically.
Thanks
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Deleting 2018 version - 02/24/19 10:30 PM
Ok, that helps to get more info. You also explained why you didn’t install 2019 over 2018.

You mentioned the bonus paks. How about any songs or styles you created in version 2018? Did you copy those to the 2019 drive?
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Deleting 2018 version - 02/24/19 11:01 PM
Two thoughts,

Check your motherboard bios / UEFI and control panel settings to make sure your USB port is receiving full power all the time.

Also. unless your computer drive is a SSD, try running defrag. If your computer drive is a SSD, run the trim utility.
Posted By: wish Re: Deleting 2018 version - 02/25/19 01:24 AM
I’m sorry, I am going to have to put this on hold as I have just found another problem.
Yesterday I installed the last update and have lost all my real drums.
Where can I find the path to show me where they have gone and help me get them back?
Grrrr.
Posted By: wish Re: Deleting 2018 version - 02/25/19 01:48 AM
I have just looked at my 2018 version and I have a drum folder there but no folder on the seagate drive anymore. It was all good until the update.
I have since copied the drum folder from 2018 into my H drive and seems it’s back to normal, not sure if I’m missing tracks from the new version.
Posted By: cooltouch Re: Deleting 2018 version - 02/25/19 01:03 PM
Wish, I didn't upgrade from 2017 to 2018, but when I upgraded to 2019 from 2017, I just had the installation utility install 2019 into the same \bb directory. So my 2017 files were overwritten by the 2019 files. At least I think that's what happened. I just checked my \bb directory, and I see that, in addition to the bbw.exe file, I now have a bbw3.exe and a bbw4.exe, in addition to the bbw64.exe. Not sure what the -3 and -4 executables are for. But when I click on the old 2017 icon to boot the program, 2019 comes up, cuz the shortcut icon is just set up to load bbw.exe. So as far as I can tell, 2017 is gone from my machine. So I guess what I'm saying is that, if you were to install 2019 into your \bb directory, this would automatically take care of deleting 2018 from your machine. Assuming, of course, you went with the default installation when you installed 2018.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Deleting 2018 version - 02/25/19 03:52 PM
I left my old 2018 installation intact, folder already called BIAB 2018, and moved only the AP RTs and Drumtracks plus some personal folders from that installation to a newly created BIAB 2019 folder after installing it. Then copied the AP RTs and drums folders from my PGmusic AP drive. BIAB 2018 uses those folders atomatically too, or you can redirect them there manually.

Reinstall your 2017? Name the folder differently than bb. PS i think if you own 2019, you're entitled to run 2018 as well.
Posted By: wish Re: Deleting 2018 version - 05/15/19 09:36 PM
Hi again, this has been a while since I posted the initial query.
I have made a copy (again) of the 2018 version on a separate sea-gate drive and then deleted the version from my laptop.
Now I have the 2019 version on a separate sea-gate drive and was hoping that this will run as a stand alone.
While it does that I am getting 3 warning messages each time I open the program and for that matter each time I go to play a song. The songs seem unchanged but the message reads -
1. Warning -your current drum kit has no snare drum note assigned.
2 and 3 read the same apart from no high hat and no open hat.
Any thoughts on this, everything seems to be working ok.......at this stage anyway.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Deleting 2018 version - 05/16/19 06:50 AM
123 - midi drums i guess. Get a proper GM soundset installed. Coyote WT should not give these errors. Recommendable is the (free) Steinberg Halion Sonic SE 3, and set it to GM mode under options when done.
Posted By: wish Re: Deleting 2018 version - 05/16/19 07:14 AM
Thanks fiddler, I have purchased the Coyote DXi some time ago. I am running the 64 bit version of Biab and didn't think this would be relevant.
Do I need to install this over the 2019 version?
Thanks
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Deleting 2018 version - 05/16/19 07:44 AM
guess just install it ...
Posted By: jford Re: Deleting 2018 version - 05/16/19 12:06 PM
For Coyote Forte, if you are running BIAB 2019 64-bit, it's not going to help you. Coyote Forte is strictly a 32-bit application, so it won't work with the 64-bit BIAB. I understand it is going to be updated, but have not heard an update in several months.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Deleting 2018 version - 05/16/19 01:39 PM
Quote:
1. Warning -your current drum kit has no snare drum note assigned.
2 and 3 read the same apart from no high hat and no open hat.
Any thoughts on this, everything seems to be working ok.......at this stage anyway.

Go to Options | MIDI Driver Setup and select 'General MIDI Instrument' in the Synthesizer drop-down (re-select it if it's already selected), and that should fix it.
Posted By: wish Re: Deleting 2018 version - 05/16/19 09:28 PM
Thanks Andrew, problem solved. Appreciate your post.
© PG Music Forums