PG Music Home
Posted By: raymb1 Enharmonic notes - 02/25/19 06:22 PM
Haven't run into this before. In the key of Db, when I enter a B13/Db, BIAB always enters B13/C# instead. First 6 bars are: DbMaj7 add 6 or 13| B13/Db | repeated 2 more times. Is there a way to defeat this? Changing the "Use chord scale for enharmonics" doesn't do it.
Posted By: Brille Re: Enharmonic notes - 02/26/19 07:07 AM
I can repeat this bug. It seems to me that there is no logical or musical reason for this. If you call the Chord Builder, you can actually enter Db as a slash note - but it is also displayed as C# in chord sheet but if you open Chord Builder again it still shows /Db there.
Posted By: ZeroZero Re: Enharmonic notes - 02/27/19 12:57 PM
watching this
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Enharmonic notes - 02/27/19 02:34 PM
Verified. Ray, I haven't run into this before, either.

Both Chord Builder and Chord Settings allow you to enter the Db root but flip it to C# on the Chordsheet.

I also tried entering Cb13/Db but BIAB accepts it as B13/C#.

Strange. I don't see a way to defeat this behavior.

I'm guessing that the key signature is less important than the root of the upper chord, so a B chord determines that the bass note must be C#. Is this because Cb can be entered (in recent versions of BIAB) but is logically not recognized after it is converted to B? But that's just a guess.
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Enharmonic notes - 02/28/19 02:30 AM
I changed the key to C and entered B13/Db with the same result. Even tried the Chord Options and Pedal Db for 6 bars, plays correctly, but doesn't print correctly. Eb half dim/Db works but leaves the 13th of the B13 out. I'll just print out | DbMaj7 | B13 | DbMaj7 | B13 |, and notate pedal bass for X number of bars. Thanks for the replies.
© PG Music Forums