PG Music Home
Posted By: Dzjang Midi biab 2018: pedal bass velocity, how to? - 03/05/19 04:13 AM
When using Pedal Bass in the chord option dialog the velocity , the velocity of the bass is too high (imo). Is there a way to adjust this, even to have some variation going on? I already tried some stuff:

I set the velocity boost of pushes and holds to “0” in the arrange window and in the selected style (miscellaneous settings), I even specified a reduced default velocity for inserting notes in the “other notation options” dialog.
But, no! The bass player keeps on pumping where I’d like ‘im to be somewhat discreet.
Originally Posted By: Dzjang
But, no! The bass player keeps on pumping where I’d like ‘im to be somewhat discreet.

I've worked with lots of bass players like that cry

Does lowering the overall bass volume help in any way?
Haha, We’ve all been there, smile

Lowering the overall volume doesn’t work cause I’m using loopbe out to Kontakt. There are some good sounds there.

Thing is that lowering the volume makes the overall bass volume drop, which is not exactly what I am after. Just that the pedal tones would have to be slightly lower in volume.

I can’t seem to find any parameter to change that. Not in the manual or topic search either... but, since there’s so many parameters... maybe someone has already dealt with this.

Thx
You can say I'm either thinking out loud or guessing.

Since you're sending the pedal bass to the Kontakt soft synth you should be able to use the Event List Editor to insert volume events.

I'm thinking you'll need to know what midi channel the pedal bass is transmitted on and what midi controller command (normally CC7 or CC11) the Kontakt soft synth responds to.
Hey Jim,

You must be right. Thing is, it would be easier if you could save the setting along with your style or as a feature in your song settings,

Otherwise we’d be back to full midi programming whereas Biab shines as an automatic arrangement producer.

Thx for the help, though
Dzjang,

It can be controlled.

The below is for a MIDI bass line (i.e. the track name will be written using a yellow coloured font).

1. Generate the song.

2. Enter Notation Mode and select the "Bass" track to view it. This is the left most selection button as shown on image 1 below.

METHOD A
3A. Select "Editable Notation Mode".

4A. Right click on each note and select "Edit note".

5A. Set the velocity to a lower value.

6A. Freeze the bass track once the changes are made to preserve them. (If the track remains unfrozen, it will be regenerated when next opened and all changes will be lost.)

METHOD B
3B. Enter "Staff Roll Notation Mode".

4B. Each note will now be seen as a black note-head with horizontal and vertical blue lines coming from the centre of the note.

5B. Place the mouse cursor on the middle of the black note-head, press down the left mouse button and drag the mouse vertically upwards. Release the mouse button at a lower height than the original line.

6B. The length of the vertical blue line that is created in 5B indicates the velocity with which the note is played.

7B. Freeze the bass track once the changes are made to preserve them. (If the track remains unfrozen, it will be regenerated when next opened and all changes will be lost.)

NOTE: If your BIAB view is different from mine, use CTRL+T to switch views.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. There is also a method using "Piano Roll Mode" that can be found easily in Help topics.

Attached picture bass - notation mode editable staff roll mode.JPG
Attached picture editable notation mode - edit note properties.JPG
Attached picture staff roll mode 2019.JPG
Thx for the answer,

There’s no parameter for the pedal bass available, so I’ll try some of the workarounds.
@ Noel: thx for elaborate and illustrated help, that makes things very clear, since biab is sometimes very difficult to navigate.

Maybe I could also use Bar settings: lower the bass volume in those bars that have a Padal Bass, and raise the volume again on the next bar.

That way, I could choose another style and still have the right volume for the song. I can experiment with styles and retain the setting for the song.

Thx
Dzjang,

It sounds like you might be using a Realtrack. Is the name of the bass track written in green text?

If so, the above instructions only work for MIDI tracks (written in yellow text).

Regards,
Noel
Hey Noel

I like realtracks, but I LOVE midi. There’s such wonderful plugins available. It should lead to a new midi revolution. Ther’s so much more to be done with styles if the sounds are good,

Thx
© PG Music Forums