PG Music Home
Posted By: cubanpete Ketron sd2 - 03/06/19 11:54 PM
Hi guys, this is embarrassing. Is been awhile since I use my ketron sd2 and although still connected I forgot or I simply cannot find a way to render a track using the ketron with BIB 2019. I hear the sound fine though. Help with this please.

Mike B.
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: Ketron sd2 - 03/07/19 01:01 AM
It's a little convoluted. I don't know if you are on Windows or Mac, but when you say "Render" I assume you mean record to audio. You're going to need to connect the output of the Ketron to an input of your computer (like the audio in jack on your sound card) and THEN find a way to mix the output of the Ketron with the BIAB sounds (assuming you're using Realtracks?) It'll be easier if it's all MIDI via the Ketron, because it will be one recording source instead of two.

You can probably do a mix with some experimentation using Audacity. I personally find this most usable... https://www.abyssmedia.com/isound7/

A cheap external mixer like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo helps to take both inputs into one output via hardware.

Posted By: Mike Head Re: Ketron sd2 - 03/07/19 10:07 AM
Hi Mike

It is always the case if you use an external midi module / synth as you have sent your midi out of band in the box to get audio from the external module. Therefore it is not available to Biab for rendering internally.
As said above you need to bring the audio from the module back in.

If you use an internal VST / DXI and route your midi to that under midi settings it never leaves the program so can be rendered internally. You will of course get the VST / DXI sounds that’s the rub.

Mike
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: Ketron sd2 - 03/07/19 08:50 PM
I'm not certain about the legality of it, but a guy on eBay is selling SoundFonts sampled from the SD1000. I bought it, but since I OWN an SD1000, I figure it is similar in the SPIRIT of the law to scanning a fakebook I own into .PDFs for personal use. My only goal was to free myself from carting another physical box as I can now load these into a VST sample player. Unlike the SD2, the SD1000 cannot run off USB power, so that was a step backward in engineering IMO.

I could have sampled it and made my own SoundFonts, but I bought his set for the convenience of his having done a lot of work that I was unwilling to do.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Ketron sd2 - 03/08/19 09:43 AM
Here is how I do it
  1. I route BiaB to the SD2 using a basic level USB->MIDI interface
  2. I route the audio output of the SD2 back into the computer using a basic level Audio->USB interface
  3. I record the output using either Audacity or a DAW
  4. I export to WAV and necessary convert to mp3 after that.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Ketron sd2 - 03/10/19 12:00 AM
Hi all, appreciate the answers, however, I have been using the Ketron with BIB for many years, almost since the creation of the Ketron using the USB Uno midi interface. On previous version of BIB there was a way of "direct rendering" of ether the whole song or individuals tracks with the option of files. IE wave, pm3, etc. Also there was the option of rendering or record if you will the midi imput from the ketron directly to file. Now, the only way of doing that is with DXI or Virtual instrument.
I'l ask the staff, otherwise yes, using a DAW.

Thanks

Mike Ballara
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: Ketron sd2 - 03/12/19 12:08 PM
I don't recall there ever being a way to "direct render" with an external module. I could be wrong. I've used every version since 1.0 for DOS. I'm not sure how any Windows program would be able to route the audio signal from an external device without a physical input...
Posted By: jford Re: Ketron sd2 - 03/12/19 01:15 PM
You can't "direct render" with an external module. You can only "record" the output from it in real time to capture the audio from it. If someone thinks they did this before, I suspect that what actually happened was that a direct render was actually done using perhaps a default soft synth and not the external module.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Ketron sd2 - 03/12/19 02:35 PM
I concur with all the above replies, and I use only external MIDI modules.
© PG Music Forums