PG Music Home
Posted By: Mike Head Style not suitable for midi - 03/17/19 03:31 PM
HI All

Style not suitable for midi

When you open a midi file in BIAB it seems to choose a style although it is not enabled. Even if you already had a style selected it will change it.
After that if you go to the sequencer for the melody track mute all but the melody and say another choir ah track, then enable the style it does seem to fit that melody to the style.
However sometimes its choice of style is way out and unusable.

My main question is what is BIABs choice of style dependent or based on.
I realise you can change it again but finding the right one can be a bit of a task even with the song picker.

The song I am having most problems with at the moment Is He Stopped loving her today (G Jones) I have a good midi , but I would like to try and just use some tracks and take the rest from the style as I need a Peddle Steel part not present in the midi.
By muting some tracks in the style and some tracks in the midi melody sequencer this should work.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Mike
Posted By: silvertones Re: Style not suitable for midi - 03/17/19 03:38 PM
If you open a midi file styles are disabled. The midi file is the style.You can then enable styles and the song will play based on the chords and the song will now be based on the style and chords
Posted By: jford Re: Style not suitable for midi - 03/17/19 04:14 PM
When you open a MIDI file in BIAB, it does no analysis of the file to choose an appropriate file. Obviously, some disabled style is listed, but it's not because it figured out an appropriate style for the song. At least that's how I understand it. It's up to you to choose an appropriate style.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Style not suitable for midi - 03/17/19 04:48 PM
Mike,

I'm wondering if the program is looking at the time signature associated with a style and comparing that against the results it comes up with during the analysis performed during the file import.

For instance, when I typed in the song title "She Stopped Loving Her Today". The StylePicker then first displayed styles that matched three criteria: country ballad, even 16th beat and with a tempo of 70 BPM. Also the StylePicker list was weighted by the program preference settings for RealTracks and MIDI instruments.

Later the StylePicker displayed styles that matched two or one criteria before listing all other styles that do not match any criteria.

My guess is the style loaded when the program analyzed the imported MIDI file did not match any of the data embedded in a style.

Perhaps a wishlist feature request to ignore the loaded style when a MIDI file is first imported would be appropriate in this instance. But, does the request make sense if the existing loaded style is disabled when a MIDI file is imported as John (Silvertones) reported in the post prior to mine?

I know a loaded style is disabled when the Audio Chord Wizard (ACW) is utilized but I do not have enough experience importing MIDI files to remember if the loaded style is automatically disabled.

After reading JFord's remark I'm wondering, Mike is the main point of your message concerning the style being disabled or that you received a message indicating the existing style does not match the imported MIDI file? Your point is not clear to me. Maybe my post is completely off base and I've gone off into La La land!
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Style not suitable for midi - 03/17/19 06:23 PM
Hi all

Thank you both for your thoughts.
Yes I do realise that the style is disabled on opening a midi but it is no prob to re enable it by right clicking and choosing Style is enabled strange wording as it is disabled .
Sometimes it pops up and ask any way if you want to enable the style when you first load the midi.

Got much the same results as you from the picker none on the first page are very suitable for that song as normally sung.

Got much more luck with a couple of Buddy Holly songs even with the style BIAB loaded on loading the midi

Mike
© PG Music Forums