PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDUBose Controlling chord substitutions - 03/19/19 02:43 PM
I am working on preparing performance backing tracks for a Marvin Gay song, What's Goin' On, and the piano synth real track I am using (1408 synthlayer and associated family of real tracks) which sounds great when it's playing the entered chord, goes off with a chord substitution of a major 7 chord when a straight major chord is entered. It doesn't do that all the time, only some of the time. and I have tried to control it with the Edit - chord substitution set of options for selecting styles, jazz or pop, which can be checked if subs can be allowed. I have unchecked them all and still can't force the real track piano track to play the entered chord. Can anyone help? Thanks. (Using BBW.exe 32 bit, 2018 version 520)
Posted By: DrDan Re: Controlling chord substitutions - 03/19/19 02:52 PM
The RT's can be a bit stubborn at times and of course we can't adjust individual notes or chord voiceing. That's when you turn to Midi. Look at EZKeys.
Posted By: DrDUBose Re: Controlling chord substitutions - 03/19/19 03:39 PM
Thanks Dan. I am auditioning alternative tracks and am finding options. Good midi is one of those as well.. Thanks.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Controlling chord substitutions - 03/19/19 05:29 PM
Check in song settings if Natural Arrangement is on for this song. Try turning it off. You can override for just this song, or turn it off globally.
Posted By: DrDUBose Re: Controlling chord substitutions - 03/19/19 09:13 PM
Thanks, Matt, (and I hope you're using all your instruments). I checked for natural arrangement in Edit Song form, and i disabled that there and again above in arranging options, I think. It didn't keep the chord as entered, as other tracks will do. Though I love the piano/synth patch sound I just can't get it to behave. So, I am taking advantage of BB's amazing vast resources and spending all day auditioning numerous other options for the effect I'm trying to get. A kind of 60's sound... I've got working alternative patch options and will leave that blended patch behind for this song.

Thanks again.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Controlling chord substitutions - 03/19/19 09:35 PM
One thing before you give up on this: sometimes a RealTrack is just wrong -plays the wrong thing - and if you report it they can fix it. I always assumed it was an error in some index, very minor fix. Send a frozen song to support that demonstrates the issue, and reference this thread.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Controlling chord substitutions - 03/19/19 09:41 PM
In addition to Matt's and Dan's advice, another thing to try is go into Song Settings and select "Force Simple Arrangement". When this setting is active, it is telling BIAB to 'play the chords as entered'. This is an 'all-tracks' setting on a song-by-song basis.

It's also possible to "Force Simple Arrangement" for individual tracks by right-clicking on the track, selecting "Track Settings" and the activate the option.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: DrDUBose Re: Controlling chord substitutions - 03/19/19 11:39 PM
Thanks Noel. I was hoping that might work, though it looked lke it changed all my dom 7 chords into major chords without any "color" when I clicked to simplify chords.... Thanks for trying to help. I'm not usually that obsessive with chord color, or substitutions as I play a bunch of jazz, but this particular chord is part of a dual chord phrase with a leading dom 7 sus chord partner, that is followed by a resolved dom 7 chord, as entered. The patch I was trying to use subbed a major 7 for the resolved chord, and it just didn't sound good.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Controlling chord substitutions - 03/20/19 12:28 AM
I know this is odd, but sometimes I have better control by using 9th chords instead of 7ths. Try it.
© PG Music Forums