PG Music Home
This is kind of a multi-app question, but I thought I would start on the BIAB side. I am writing a musical, and have created piano, horn, string parts using Finale. I'm trying to create bass and drum tracks using BIAB to add in. Worked well for a few songs. I would just find a good style, enter chords with all the needed accents and breaks, and create a Midi file with bass and drums. Then open that as a separate file in Finale. Create bass and percussion staves for the main song, and copy and paste the new tracks in; maybe make a few tweaks to the added parts.

Problem comes when I have a song in 12/8 time in Finale. I used a BIAB style that is called 12/8 (-ZZCON12.STY). Sounds fine in BIAB. The bass/drum file sounds fine in Finale. But, the file in Finale is notated in 4/4, with dotted-eighth/sixteenth notation for swing feel, and eighth-note triplets in place of just three eighth notes, as in 12/8. So, when I try to copy/paste the new staves from 4/4 into the main file in 12/8 in Finale, it doesn't work. I'm on BIAB 2014. Don't know if 2018 would have different features to help with this? Or maybe I can figure something out on the Finale side to get it to work?

Thanks for any advice!
BIAB experts will be needed here for better advice, but i thing you will have to set a 4/4 bar to triplets ... and i never worked with finale.
On the note entry window you can set 12/8 then (in BIAB 2019) to check matters, but how it exports as MIDI file format (or XML?)?:

Attached picture BIAB 12-8.jpg
Many of the 4/4 styles with swing 8th notes could be used on 12/8 songs. The problem is BiaB will have them in a 4/4 time signature even though they sound like 12/8 songs.

This makes for no problem until you want to put them into notation.

There might be a way to export from BiaB into a MIDI file, and then import into Finale, but to do it and get it right, might take some experimentation.

Sorry I can't help more than that.

Insights and incites by Notes
© PG Music Forums