PG Music Home
Hey all,

This is driving me up the wall :-(

Whenever I play a MIDI style, or sometimes even a song/demo with a single MIDI track, I will get a random note that starts on count-in and sustains through the entire duration of the track.

If anyone could help me with this I would very much appreciate it!

P.S. I have BiaB 2019 (whatever the full one is called these days, but not the audiophile) with all latest patches/updates installed.

Update: First let me say that I had tried the MIDI Panic thing before initially posting this without success.

A few more things have since popped up which may help narrow things down (and I will paste this in the OP, for the newcomers who are reading from the top).

1. It's not just MIDI styles, or even files/sings with a single MIDI track I have this problem with. RTs are now having a audio note from one the random tracks sustaining throughout even where no MIDI is present at all.

2. (and this one is the oddest). I found that if I mute and unmute the melody track in the mixer panel the note immediately disappears--this is regardless of whether or not that slot is actually populated with a track(!)

So, in short, it appears that this is not a MIDI thing, and I'm getting a strange hunch that this may be a driver thing? I just updated all my drivers yesterday, so I have no idea why I'm getting this hunch in the first place...

Anyway, thanks again for all the kind offers of assistance!

Edit 2: Got weirder, adding to clip showing the glitch in action:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18hn_dBta-UlVXPkY474jZKrGRHa4qyQX/view?usp=sharing
Hi
This is odd, normally caused by sending midi note on but no midi note off as in overlapping midi notes of the same pitch therefore keeping the first note on.
Can be most often caused by corrupt midi file or data stream sent to the synth.

Cant see that being your prob with BIAB stuff, but could be a prob with 3rd party midi files.
PS. can you clear it with Midi panic (shut off all midi notes) under the midi icon?

Mike

This happened during beta testing, but was fixed (I know because I experienced it). I would freeze a file that does it and send it to support with a reference to this thread.

What are you using for your MIDI sound? Have you tried changing it to something else to see if it could be related to your MIDI sound source?
In case you ever need it, go to http://www.nortonmusic.com/midi_cc.html (list of MIDI continuous controllers) and scroll down to continuous controllers 120 through 123 - you can turn all sounds, notes, and continuous controllers off with a MIDI message.

I've noticed that sometimes two overlapping notes on the same pitch, one shorter than the other might trigger a stuck note. A look at a MIDI event list might make it easy to spot the double. If you recognize the pitch and can figure out what bar it starts on, you can transpose one of the notes, shorten the offender and then re-transpose the note back to its correct pitch.

Insights and incites by Notes
Also if this happens again stop the playback and look at the track in the piano roll view (PRV). If it is a MIDI track problem there may be one long note throughout the track. Also look for overlapping same notes as has been suggested.

As John said what sound source are you using? If the polyphony setting is lower that the number of notes being sent to it it may be missing the end of a note.
If it’s in the song, go to the Melody or Soloist track and do a Step Edit. You’ll see one note with an unusually long length.
You might also mute each track to see if it is in one of the BIAB tracks.
Deaconblue,

Mike mentions "Panic". The shortcut for this is F12.

I haven't used BIAB with MIDI for a while but the problem you mention seems similar to the one that I experienced earlier this year when I was writing a melody. Every once in a while, a midi note started playing and would not stop until I pressed F12. Then, after I'd enter a few more notes, the problem would start again.

Curiously, the above happened on BIAB64. When I switched to BIAB32, everything worked fine so I finished my song using BIAB32. Have you tried both BIABs?

Regards,
Noel

Thanks for all the input guys,

I have a bit of an update, but first let me say that I had tried the MIDI Panic thing before initially posting this without success.

A few more things have since popped up which may help narrow things down (and I will paste this in the OP, for the newcomers who are reading from the top).

1. It's not just MIDI styles, or even files/sings with a single MIDI track I have this problem with. RTs are now having a audio note from one the random tracks sustaining throughout even where no MIDI is present at all.

2. (and this one is the oddest). I found that if I mute and unmute the melody track in the mixer panel the note immediately disappears--this is regardless of whether or not that slot is actually populated with a track(!)

So, in short, it appears that this is not a MIDI thing, and I'm getting a strange hunch that this may be a driver thing? I just updated all my drivers yesterday, so I have no idea why I'm getting this hunch in the first place...

Anyway, thanks again for all the kind offers of assistance!
Got odder, adding link to clip where you can see the issue play out in 2 seperate examples.

Edit 2: Got weirder, adding to clip showing the glitch in action:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18hn_dBta-UlVXPkY474jZKrGRHa4qyQX/view?usp=sharing

Thanks again!
That is weird!

Can you try selecting the Silence track for the Melody Track and then regenerate:

Attached picture 2019-05-23_19-00-10.jpg
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
That is weird!

Can you try selecting the Silence track for the Melody Track and then regenerate:

As I mentioned in the update, this is an issue regardless of whether or not the Melody track is populated.
Yes... very strange indeed.

Did you try returning to factory settings?

Also, does this happen when (a) you change audio drivers (say ASIO to MME, etc.) and (b) if you change to a different softsynth?

Lastly, as mentioned in my post above, does this happen with BIAB 32-bit as well?

Regards,
Noel
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Yes... very strange indeed.

Did you try returning to factory settings?

Also, does this happen when (a) you change audio drivers (say ASIO to MME, etc.) and (b) if you change to a different softsynth?

Lastly, as mentioned in my post above, does this happen with BIAB 32-bit as well?

Regards,
Noel

Hi Noel,

1. Tried resetting to factory settings.

2. Audio driver always on MME

3. Never changed default Softsynth (although I loaded audio and MIDI plugins/VST(i)s at times...and does not seem to be related).

4. Tried the 32 bit thing, and it GETS WEIRDER. With the 32 bit, both on songs or demos that all audio, all MIDI or mixed, there is a "chirp" that sounds like a MIDI GM-type distorted electric guitar that plays as a single "shot" at the first beat of the count in.
Oh, I also think I should note that this does not appear every time a replay or regenerate something. More like 80-85 percent of the time
A couple of additional thoughts...

1. Are you running the latest update? We're currently up to 628.

https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm

2. If this problem has appeared after installing the latest update, try download a previous update, install that (it will overwrite the latest update) and see if that makes a difference.

Also, in this instance this is something I'd try, the ultimate factory reset is to go into "bb\Preferences" and rename "MySetup.DK" and "intrface.bbw" to something like "MySetup.DK.old" and "intrface.bbw.old". This effectively deletes them and forces BIAB to make new versions of these files. (By renaming them, it's possible to get them back if needed.)

Regards,
Noel
Originally Posted By: Noel96
A couple of additional thoughts...

1. Are you running the latest update? We're currently up to 628.

https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm

2. If this was appeared after installing the latest update, try download a previous update, install that (it will overwrite the latest update) and see if that makes difference.

Also, in this instance this is something I'd try, the ultimate factory reset is to go into "bb\Preferences" and rename "MySetup.DK" and "intrface.bbw" to something like "MySetup.DK.old" and "intrface.bbw.old". This effectively deletes them and forces BIAB to make new versions of these files. (By renaming them, it's possible to get them back if needed.)

Regards,
Noel

Well I'll be gobsmacked!

I was on update version 625, which is crazy cuz I'm usually obsessive about running the update checker utility.

Updating now, and will post, er..., update, lol
Well, that was an odd one.

When Noel asked if I was using the latest update, I almost took offense at the notion that I would post this whole thread and try a million different troubleshooting options without even making sure I had the latest patch...but there you have it. I updated it and it works.

Thanks Noel!

As an addendum, to take a stab at what may have been an issue (beucuse I never had this issue prior, and this was not an issue cited as fixed in the patch notes) I confirmed that I had installed the RealTrack patch which was issued at a later date than the v625 I was running the core program on, so maybe there was some sort of conflict there? Who knows?

All's well that ends well, as they say :-)

Thanks again to Noel, and all the rest of you, for your patience and assistance!
Hey DB,

I'm glad you got it working.

Thanks for letting us know what the problem was.

All the best,
Noel
Very interesting. The theory that a later RealTracks update installed on an earlier build caused the problem makes sense. It would explain why this problem was not widespread.
Hi
Well that is very odd
I am wondering if something is getting stuck in the Audio buffer. As you don’t seem concerned with Latency, as you are only playing back, just try setting (increasing) your buffer size.
Just a shot in the dark.
Mike
PS i see you are fixed now missed your post
Update to the update!

So soon after I installed the latest patch and made the edit marking my post as "Resolved," the problem cropped up again!

So I looked into the audio driver setup but, and say that I had my PC's settings at 24 bit @ 48k Khz, rather than 16 bit @ 48k khz (see screenshot).

After I updated my PC settings to the latter THEN the problems disappeared (for now, lol)

Attached picture Driver.PNG
It might be even better if you set it to 44.100kHz 16 bit since that is what BIAB works at. wink
Originally Posted By: ryclark
It might be even better if you set it to 44.100kHz 16 bit since that is what BIAB works at. wink

I think the O/P already did that, in the image comment he stated:
"this should be 16 bit 44100 Hz"
smile
I've noticed several instances where changing the audio driver setting will cause the audio sample rate setting to change from 44.1k to 48k. This seems to occur most frequently immediately after the program has received an update to a different build.

Another common audio setting change that happens after an update is the driver selection resets to the program default of WAS instead of retaining the user selection of ASIO.

Peter Gannon suggested in a post that a user perform a return to factory settings immediately after installing a program update. I'll admit I seldom follow that advice. But, if I notice the program acting flaky in any manner after I've performed an update, it's the first step I take toward resolving the issue.

Your first thought may have been, "Oh No!" after reading the above but it's not that bad if you've prepared in advance.

After you've used Ctrl + E to open the preferences window, go through each button and set the options the way you like. Once you've finished use "Option" > "Save Preferences As ..." and name the preference file to save your preference settings. After the next update, use "Options" > "Open Preference File ..." and load your settings to make sure your settings are in place.

Description: "Options" > "Save Preferences As ..." to save your personal program settings. "Options" > "Open Preference File" to load your personal program settings.
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
deacon

i am having exactly the problem as what you have described.

i have gone through all the suggestions which were offered.

running latest build 724
factory reset
clean up
rebuild everything/styles/songs etc
checked audio sample rate on pc and bb the same.
trouble shoot sound devices on pc.
updated audio drivers

i still get the sustained note on the count in , not all the time
,about 80 % of the time it happens whether i have all real tracks or a mix of rt and midi.
as i say ,its more or less the same problem you had.
there is nothing on the notation or lead sheet that shows any notes. it happens where drums count in and sometimes through the whole track.
tried varied styles and songs
your remedy did not work for me.

do you have any more advice you might share
thanks.

running as admin.
latest bb 2020

Attached picture drivers.jpg
© PG Music Forums