PG Music Home
Posted By: Brian Cadoret BIAB "Release audio in background" - 05/31/19 09:59 AM
Hi,
I'm normally OK with configuring my audio properties but this one has got me.

I've got a new laptop with BIAB 2019 and Samplitude DAW installed.
Trying to run both apps (just my way of working) but of course Windows 7 only allows one audio stream at a time.
Any ideas how to configure the audio setup so when either BIAB or Samplitude is minimized it allows the current app to stream audio.
"Release audio in background" is an option on other DAW's but I don't think BIAB supports this.
Hope this makes sense smile

Thanks
Brian
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB "Release audio in background" - 05/31/19 11:35 AM
Hi Brian,

I don't think Win 7 is the problem. I think that you are trying to use ASIO on both of the programs. ASIO only allows one program at a time. What I do to run both BiaB and my DAW simultaneously is to run BiaB with MME drivers and my DAW with ASIO drivers. I would give this a try as I am sure it will work.
Posted By: Brian Cadoret Re: BIAB "Release audio in background" - 05/31/19 12:04 PM
Hi Mario,

Thanks for that I did try your suggestion but still the same problem.

BIAB shows message "Couldn't open the wave device....another program is using the audio playback..."

Forgot to mention I'm using the ASIO4ALL wrapper so I guess the system is still using MME for both even if I use MME for one app and ASIO4ALL for the other ?
Also using BIAB 2018 so don't have the luxury of the 2019 VST Plugin.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brian
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: BIAB "Release audio in background" - 05/31/19 01:09 PM
Brian,

when you use both Samplitude and Band-in-a-Box are you using an audio interface with either program? If not you don't need to use ASIO4All and don't need to have either program set for ASIO. Typically, true ASIO drivers are device specific and are not needed when no device is connected. If there is no audio interface MME should work fine in Band-in-a-Box and likely in Samplitude also.
Posted By: Brian Cadoret Re: BIAB "Release audio in background" - 05/31/19 01:39 PM
Hi Jim,

Your correct that BIAB and Samplitude do work fine using the standard MME driver.

But to use the DAW for real time monitoring and using amp sims an asio driver is needed.

I did boot up Cakewalk Bandlab and it has the option when using asio to "Suspend audio engine when not in focus" meaning two apps can use asio drivers and which ever app is active uses the audio engine.
That is exactly what I'm needing.
Unfortunately Samplitude, which I use most of the time, doesn't have that option frown

Ah well might have to start using Cakewalk more often although most of my projects are in Samplitude.

Does any one on this forum use Samplitude with any suggestions.

Many thanks
Brian
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: BIAB "Release audio in background" - 05/31/19 04:36 PM
Brian,

You may want to take a look at +++ THIS +++ thread. The Odeus Multi-Client Driver may be the answer you need.
Posted By: Brian Cadoret Re: BIAB "Release audio in background" - 05/31/19 05:46 PM
Jim,

Thanks very much for the information and link looks very possible, will try out tomorrow and get back.

Regards
Brian
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB "Release audio in background" - 05/31/19 06:14 PM
I will have to check out ODeus ASIO Link Pro.
You can also try https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

You can use Voicemeeter Banana, this will give you Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO for Biab and Voicemeeter AUX Virtual ASIO for DAW.
You can use HiFi cable and Virtual cable to give more inputs to Voicemeeter, they are free also on the voicemeeter site.
Set Windows to HiFi cable or Virtual cable audio device.
You set the Voicemeeter output to your onboard sound card or external audio device.

Posted By: Brian Cadoret Re: BIAB "Release audio in background" - 06/02/19 05:45 PM
Thanks Jim and Pipeline, both of these apps are in depth beasts that's for sure.
I've had more luck with the Odeus but BIAB still seems to crash when using them, probably because I'm not setting them up correctly.
A simple 123 tutorial to set these up for BIAB and a DAW to run together would be good , the online tutorials are geared towards gaming.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: BIAB "Release audio in background" - 06/02/19 07:33 PM
You just install VoiceMeeter Banana and restart,
set Biab to ASIO Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO
set DAW to ASIO Voicemeeter AUX Virtual ASIO
set VoiceMeeter Hardware Output to your onboard sound card or external audio device.

To get the windows sound at the same time install VB-CABLE Virtual Audio Device,
right click on your speaker icon in the system tray > Playback devices,
set VB-CABLE Virtual Audio Device as default,
set VoiceMeeter Hardware input 1 to VB-CABLE Virtual Audio Device.
Posted By: Brian Cadoret Re: BIAB "Release audio in background" - 06/04/19 12:20 PM
Hi Pipeline,

Thanks for that works perfect with both BIAB and Daw.
The only hitch is the ASIO latency is set to 1024ms which is too much for realtime recording monitoring in my DAW.
I guess that's governed by the laptop on board sound card which is basic.
Again thanks at least I can use both apps when needed.

Brian
© PG Music Forums