PG Music Home
Posted By: sixchannel Splitting a MIDI in BB etc? - 06/21/19 02:57 PM
I tend to use RTs or in house BB midi instruments when building up an SGU. As per my profile in Soundcloud
BUT - I am working on a tune that needs an impossible drum track for BB. Its very unique.
HOWEVER, I do have a midi file of it (multi track I believe) that has a useable drum track.
Can I split it in BB and if so - how?
Then I would bin all the tracks other than the drums and use RTs for the rest of the 'band'.
I do hope that I'm not pointed at RB as my little grey cells just can't even fathom why midis don't play in it, when they are perfect in BB, just not split grin .
Cheers
ian
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Splitting a MIDI in BB etc? - 06/21/19 03:53 PM
There are blank utility styles that may help you split your drum kit. I would create a BIAB song with the utility blank kit and build your drum kit split among the channels and render and export a stereo track you've mixed by panning, volume and reverb.

Import that audio file you mixed into a new BIAB song and change the audio file to a Performance Track and use it for your song instead of a RealDrums Style.

If you open the midi file and all the drums import combined and as a single file on the Melody or Soloist Channel, do the following to copy and move the individual drum kit pieces:

Edit\Copy Special...\Copy/Move Tracks...

A window will open that will allow you to select each of the 16 midi channels and move them to the various BIAB mixer channels.

I've never done it but that's where I'd start. Hope it works for you.

Charlie
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Splitting a MIDI in BB etc? - 06/21/19 06:30 PM
Thanks Charlie
What I was meaning is that the midi is several tracks only one of which is the midi drum track. I would bin all other tracks, just leaving the midi drum track, (hopefully in 'drums' in the mixer window) and populating the rest of the blank style with RTs.
Posted By: Teunis Re: Splitting a MIDI in BB etc? - 06/21/19 07:29 PM
Did you check the MIDI output video mentioned by Callie on June 7th 2019. Forum reply No. #539890. There is an option in the MIDI save that puts individual drums on different tracks. Is this what you meant?

There is also an option to save individual tracks (if I understood correctly).

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dcRA_m0QZs

Tony
Posted By: silvertones Re: Splitting a MIDI in BB etc? - 06/21/19 09:26 PM
Just open it in any Daw as a type1 midi file, delete the tracks you don't want.
Remove the drum track as a midi type 1.
Delete the drum track in biab and import the other drum part.
RB can do this. What throws most folks is Type 1 vs type 0
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Splitting a MIDI in BB etc? - 06/21/19 10:57 PM
Ian,

Unless I've missed something and I'm not understanding your post correctly, here's how I'd do what you want...

1. Identify which midi track is the drum track, it's usually on midi channel 10.

• As you probably already know, this can be done by loading in the midi file then using the green SEQ button to open a window that allows users to identify the individual midi channels in the file. Unless you specified otherwise, the midi file will load onto the Melody track.

2. Still in the SEQ window, left-click on the "Edit" column "..." and delete each channel sequentially except the drum channel.

3. At this point the Melody track will contain just the Drum Midi.

4. If your song does not use the Melody track, simply leave the drum midi here and it will play from here.

• If you don't hear the drums after deleting the other tracks, then this means that you will need to set the Melody track to midi channel 10 -- found under "Options | Preferences | MIDI Channels".

5. Lastly, if you want to put the drums on any other track, as Charlie Fogle has mentioned, use the "Edit\Copy Special...\Copy/Move Tracks..." options.

Regards,
Noel
© PG Music Forums