PG Music Home
Posted By: Grem Bass Note "A" Not Playing [Solved] - 06/22/19 03:48 PM
Trying to use SampleTank 3 for the acoustic bass. All notes on it play except the "A" note. I can not figure out why.

Anyone got some ideas?

I am thinking that BB is wanting to play a note out of ST3 range. But it will play a A# with no problem, but not an "A" or "A flat". And if I use CW TTS-1 it plays fine.

Is there a way that I can ell BB to play the notes an octave higher? Or is this another one of those simple midi things I should know!! : ) LOL
Posted By: DrDan Re: Bass Note "A" Not Playing - 06/22/19 06:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Grem
Trying to use SampleTank 3 for the acoustic bass. All notes on it play except the "A" note. I can not figure out why.

Anyone got some ideas?

I am thinking that BB is wanting to play a note out of ST3 range. But it will play a A# with no problem, but not an "A" or "A flat". And if I use CW TTS-1 it plays fine.

Try switching the ST Bass with a piano. Does it play the A then?
What A is it exactly, A0 or A1 the lowest...?
Finally you don't have a demo version of ST do you? Sometimes some notes are silent in the demo.

Is there a way that I can ell BB to play the notes an octave higher? Or is this another one of those simple midi things I should know!! : ) LOL

Yes it is simple, just poke around in BIAB menus and you will see an option to adjust the octave up or down for a specific track\instrument. Or you can change octave in ST.
Posted By: Grem Re: Bass Note "A" Not Playing - 06/24/19 04:31 PM
Thanks for the reply Musicstudent.

I can see that the notes SampleTank is receiving is below the range of the instrument. I think it's A0. But if I put a A# in the chord box, it plays the A#1 note! That's what I am not understanding about BB. Why would it choose to do that?
Posted By: Grem Re: Bass Note "A" Not Playing - 06/24/19 05:02 PM
Musicstudent, I was able to transpose ST into it working. Thanks for your reply again.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bass Note "A" Not Playing - 06/24/19 05:17 PM
Thanks for the reply Musicstudent.

I can see that the notes SampleTank is receiving is below the range of the instrument. I think it's A0. But if I put a A# in the chord box, it plays the A#1 note! That's what I am not understanding about BB. Why would it choose to do that?

This may be due to octaves. Bass and guitar are written one octave higher then they actually sound. Some bass and guitar software and patches take that in consideration. BUT some do not take that into consideration. So if you have a bass or guitar patch that is written or played in the correct pitches but the sound source you are using is expecting input to be an octave higher then some notes will not be heard. The reverse is also a problem and you will have to transpose notes down an octave. I run into this all of the time.

Also to further confuse the issue is that although middle C is MIDI 60 some companies call that C3, C4, or C5! There is no real standard for what you call middle C.

Now to really blow our minds some of the inexpensive GM sounds will cover all 88 notes. It doesn't really care in what octave you are playing you will hear a note! Most all of these are not sounding realistic when they are played out of the range of an instrument.

I hope that I didn't confuse you to much.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Bass Note "A" Not Playing - 06/24/19 07:54 PM
Mario, now it’s all perfectly clear!

Kidding of course. You gave a good summary of some of the challenges.
© PG Music Forums