PG Music Home
Posted By: looperboy Problem with Style Maker - 06/22/19 08:26 PM
Hi

Whenever I try to record a pattern into the style maker using midi, I get the message:

Access violation at address 00EC4756 in module 'btw.exe'. Read of address FFFFFFFF

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks

Stuart
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Problem with Style Maker - 06/22/19 09:09 PM
Stuart,

Are you sure about "btw.exe"? I don't think that is a Band-in-a-Box or RealBand file as I'm not finding that file on my primary storage drive.

Do you have multiple music programs open at the same time? Are you using any plugins?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Problem with Style Maker - 06/22/19 09:09 PM
Hi Stuart,

Have you tried both BIAB 64-bit and 32-bit versions? It might be that the 32-bit version works but the 64-bit version does not.

Also, this may or may not help, to start BIAB, try clicking on the shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator".

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: looperboy Re: Problem with Style Maker - 06/23/19 08:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Stuart,

Are you sure about "btw.exe"? I don't think that is a Band-in-a-Box or RealBand file as I'm not finding that file on my primary storage drive.

You're right, Jim. Sorry. It was an autocorrect problem, I think.

The violation is in 'bbw.exe' not 'btw.exe'

I'm not using any plugins, and I don't have any other programs open.
Posted By: looperboy Re: Problem with Style Maker - 06/23/19 08:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Stuart,

Have you tried both BIAB 64-bit and 32-bit versions? It might be that the 32-bit version works but the 64-bit version does not.

Also, this may or may not help, to start BIAB, try clicking on the shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator".

Regards,
Noel

Hi Noel,

I only have Windows XP, so the 32 bit version is my only option. (I'm using BIAB 2019 Windows version, BTW)

When I tried running as administrator like you suggested, BIAB wouldn't actually open and gave me the message:

"bbw.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close."

This happens every time I try to run the program in that way. Could it be a clue? The error is in the same .exe it seems.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Problem with Style Maker - 06/23/19 02:37 PM
Stuart,

It reads as though your Band-in-a-Box (BiaB) installation has become corrupt. You can force the program to defaults by selecting "Options" > "Return To Factory Settings ...". This will open a window providing the three selections below. I would select the second, "Return ALL" option as well as remove the check mark in the bottom, left corner.

That is as close as you can get to uninstalling BiaB and then re-installing BiaB without having to actually do that.

Use Cntrl + E to open the Preferences window. Go through each button (choice) and set your preferences. Once you have reset everything and got BiaB set up like you want, Got to "Options" > "Save Preferences As ..." and save your settings under a unique name. You can then go to "Options" > "Load Preferences ..." and set up the program as you like it in less than a second.

The head of PG Music, Peter Gannon, recommended return to defaults and loading preferences after each update. I don't but I'm not shy about using it as a troubleshooting technique whenever the program gives any hint of starting to act wonky. Once your've created a preference file, it's easy.

Description: Three return to factory selections.
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: looperboy Re: Problem with Style Maker - 06/23/19 08:11 PM
Hi Jim,

I followed your instructions, but the problem has remained the same.

Does this mean a full-reinstall might be in order?
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Problem with Style Maker - 06/24/19 07:24 PM
Stuart,

I would first contact PG Music support. I don't know what time zone you're in but PG Music is in the Pacific time zone or -8:00 GMT. Both chat and telephone support are available as I type this.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Problem with Style Maker - 06/25/19 01:29 PM
He has Windows XP. There's no"run as administrator ".
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Problem with Style Maker - 06/25/19 10:01 PM
John (Silvertones),

I'm sorry to disagree but the "Run As Administrator" enable/disable checkbox is available under the right click, "Properties" window.

My desktop still uses XP Home 32 bit.

However, on a positive note enabling "Run as Administrator" is an excellent suggestion. I wish I'd thought to suggest it.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Problem with Style Maker - 06/26/19 09:33 AM
Getting old. Haven't used or had XP for years. I thought hat option was part of the UAC that started with Win 7? I never used it in XP.
So back in the days I used XP I never installed the new version, 2019, over the old version, say 2018. I always did a new install. A lot did it this way some didn't. I agree with Jim. Somehow corrupt if return to factory didn't help.
BTW XP machine. How full is your hard drive?
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Problem with Style Maker - 06/26/19 04:12 PM
The primary drive is 80 GB. The secondary drive is 1 TB. When I added the secondary drive I transferred a bunch of files and programs from the primary to the secondary. Both drives are about half full. Both BiaB and RB are loaded to the secondary drive. I have the drives connected to different motherboard SATA controllers so both can operate independent of the other.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Problem with Style Maker - 06/26/19 07:48 PM
Doesn't XP have a HD size limit? Just wondering if the OP xp drive is getting full.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Problem with Style Maker - 06/26/19 08:54 PM
Originally Posted By: silvertones
Doesn't XP have a HD size limit? Just wondering if the OP xp drive is getting full.

Yes XP has a 2TB HD limit.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Problem with Style Maker - 06/26/19 10:58 PM
However, you can always partition a large drive into smaller chunks.

I think somewhere between XP SP1 and XP SP3 Microsoft raised the upper storage limit from 1 TB to 2 TB.

How old am I? I can remember going ga ga when hard drive sizes reached 1 GB. I figured I'd NEVER run out of storage space!

My first work laptop was a Toshiba 1200. It had a 486 cpu, 10 MB MFM hard drive with MS-DOS v3.2 preinstalled. The display was monochrome LCD with 256 shades of gray.
© PG Music Forums