PG Music Home
Posted By: torr71 how to edit notes generated in realtracks - 06/26/19 11:21 AM
Trying to edit notes on a Realtrack, when a change the notes it doesn't change in playback still the same pitch.

Not sure what I'm missing...

Thanks
Hi. The notation which is provided on some (most, now) RealTracks is for educational purposes only. It is not tied to the sound, which is pre-recorded audio snippets.

If you want something that editing makes a difference, you need to work with MIDI.
Posted By: jford Re: how to edit notes generated in realtracks - 06/26/19 02:25 PM
It seems to me that probably RealCharts should be locked down for editing, as this question comes up quite a bit. BIAB knows there is an underlying RealTrack, and so should not allow the RealChart to be edited (maybe with some sort of message indicating why).

Maybe an item for the wishlist.
As mentioned by the others, the notation is actually transcribed from the RealTracks, so that the user can review only. Generating a RealTrack simply replaces the notation, and your edits are lost.
Originally Posted By: jford
It seems to me that probably RealCharts should be locked down for editing, as this question comes up quite a bit. BIAB knows there is an underlying RealTrack, and so should not allow the RealChart to be edited (maybe with some sort of message indicating why).

Maybe an item for the wishlist.

John, you’re absolutely right. So simple.

I just put your suggestion in the Wishlist.
Posted By: torr71 Re: how to edit notes generated in realtracks - 06/26/19 04:16 PM
That Cleared Thangs Up...
Many Thanks !!!
Melodyne, anyone ?
That’s true, Melodyne Editor version allows you to edit individual notes in audio. But it’s complicated, time consuming and expensive.
You can try the RealChart on a virtual instrument that way you can edit it, I think most of the piano RealCharts are the midi from the Yamaha acoustic/midi piano so should work good on a virtual instrument.
And for wishing some day:
RealChart Midi Edit Changes RealTrack Audio
Posted By: Noel96 Re: how to edit notes generated in realtracks - 06/29/19 04:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
You can try the RealChart on a virtual instrument that way you can edit it, I think most of the piano RealCharts are the midi from the Yamaha acoustic/midi piano so should work good on a virtual instrument.
And for wishing some day:
RealChart Midi Edit Changes RealTrack Audio

I agree with Pipeline.

I use MIDI from the piano Realtracks and then run it through EZ Keys... it's excellent. I sometimes modify some of the pedal on/off commands -- that's personal taste, though.
Yeah EZ Keys is great, you can refit the playing to a different progression or save sections to the EZ Keys Library.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=373444
Originally Posted By: Noel96
I use MIDI from the piano Realtracks and then run it through EZ Keys...

I'd like to do that too. Is this process explained somewhere in the manual or in some You Tube video you know of?

Hoping in hearing from you,

Yours very truly,
Posted By: Teunis Re: how to edit notes generated in realtracks - 06/29/19 06:58 AM
I’ve used Melodyne to edit one or two notes in a track. Often changing a note still sounds out of place. I usually turn the note volume down so it is not so noticeable. I think one has to be really up on using Melodyne.

What I have found much easier is to use Melodyne to convert the RealTrack to MIDI but even then that can get complicated and I am often disappointed with the results.

If it is a backing part I often regenerate a heap times saving to wav each time then slice and dice in Reaper. I find this way I usually get something close to what I’m looking for. Sometimes I might even change the RealTrack for something close then mix and match.

I’m lucky in that time is not an issue to me and I enjoy playing around with stuff.

Tony
If Biab itself can change the notes of RealTracks according to the set key and the chords being played, so why then it cannot offer changing the notes by changing the notes in the notation?
The reason why 90% or more of what I do in BiaB is MIDI is because it is extremely editable.

There is a trade-off between being better tone or the ability to edit the music.

Do you want the music to sound better or the music to be better?

I have a few good MIDI synth modules, so the tone is 90-99% as good as the 'real thing', depending on the instrument.

For me, the ability to export the excellent output of BiaB as a MIDI file, import it into a MIDI sequencer or DAW, and then play with it (edit) to my heart's content to try to make it even better is what I like to do.

Simple edits like changing a guitar sound from a clean to a muted, or changing a piano to a clav, and so on can make a big difference. Changing the inversion of a chord is simple, putting the note on top that I want on top can make a big difference. Removing a drum roll or moving it around to a more appropriate measure is easy too. Putting song-specific figures or licks isn't that difficult if you have a MIDI controller.

After the easy edits, there are a lot of more extensive edits you can do with the continuous controllers (Complete list of Continuous Controllers) tempo, intonation and a million other things.

All of these edits cannot be done with Audio.

But there is more than one right way to make music. I like to play with it, put my own creativity into it, and learn more about what makes music tick while I'm doing it. But that is just my way, and may not be right for the next musician.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫
I totally go with u, except regarding solos. There, to be able to get the same level of authenticity with MIDI, one has to invest time to learn to play the VST (e.g. pedal guitar), invest time to set up and learn to use expression and sustain pedals, MIDI faders to control different expressions, MPE-controllers (ROLI Seaboard/Osmose Expressive-E/Linnstrument, LEAP motion controller, TEControl breath-controller, MIDI-ring controller etc.) And of course, one needs to have instrumental skills and knowledge of music theory or the HW/SW to substite for the lack of it (e.g. DAWs scale & chord aids, NI Komplete keyboard's Lightguide)

So therefore, at least with regards to solos, there is the temptation to try to use the Realtrack solo but to tweak it here and there, esp. if MultiRiff feature alone does not do the trick.

Take e.g. these sax solos:
https://youtu.be/NtHiW5TAkq0

One just can't get the same feeling from MIDI unless one is willing to use expensive VSTs (like Audio Modelling SWAM VSTs, https://audiomodeling.com/) and going the extra miles to add expressions.
Originally Posted By: torr71
Trying to edit notes on a Realtrack, when a change the notes it doesn't change in playback still the same pitch.

Not sure what I'm missing...

Thanks

I tried something interesting (at least to me).

If you copy the MIDI data only, of a RealTrack (I used RealTrack 2196 for this), using "Copy Special/Copy/Move Tracks", to another track... You can assign a MIDI Instrument or a Playable Realtrack to that track, and make edits (using Piano Roll). Those changed do stick.
Thunderthud, as I mentioned above, the notation in many of the RealTracks is there for educational purposes only. It does not contain the nuances of playing that would make it sound like an actual musician. The piano tracks are good, but others are transcribed. I did some of the earliest ones.
I do understand. But after playing back my song with Electric piano that I'd mentioned, and an acoustic MIDI piano on the duplicated track, the tracks had the effect of sounding thickened w So, maybe this could be useful to someone.

The piano rolls on the two tracks looked identical.
I think most of the RealCharts for piano are the actual midi from the Yamaha acoustic/digital piano.
Yes, we were told that the notation of piano tracks is good because it came from the actual performance on a digital piano.
I think most of the RealCharts for piano are the actual midi from the Yamaha acoustic/digital piano.

Agreed. I remember reading that it was a Disklavier.
LOL I saw AudioTrack, ah a new user, I thought that's the other part of VideoTrack.
Originally Posted By: PhillyJazz
Melodyne, anyone ?

I use Melodyne for editing Real Track audio quite often, especially single note lines such Bass, vocal or Horn lines, it also works on polyphonic phrases with mixed results... I believe every producer should have Melodyne in their toolbox.
LOL I saw AudioTrack, ah a new user, I thought that's the other part of VideoTrack.

Pretty close. You're actually right on the money there PL grin
Posted By: MarioD Re: how to edit notes generated in realtracks - 01/15/22 04:40 PM
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
Originally Posted By: PhillyJazz
Melodyne, anyone ?

I use Melodyne for editing Real Track audio quite often, especially single note lines such Bass, vocal or Horn lines, it also works on polyphonic phrases with mixed results... I believe every producer should have Melodyne in their toolbox.

I agree.

I also have used Melodyne to modify a RT.
thanks-- i never thought of using Melodyne or any audio editor on a RT-- good idea
Posted By: etcjoe Re: how to edit notes generated in realtracks - 01/17/22 10:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Mediterrano
If Biab itself can change the notes of RealTracks according to the set key and the chords being played, so why then it cannot offer changing the notes by changing the notes in the notation?

Because these are pre recorded snips of music not individually generated notes.
Originally Posted By: etcjoe
Originally Posted By: Mediterrano

Because these are pre recorded snips of music not individually generated notes.

So u mean that Biab can transpose and time-stretch those snips but not their individual notes? Is yes, so then how comes the very same thing is possible with the new playable realtracks?
The Playable RealTracks use sampled notes from the original instrument.
So it loads the soundfont player vst into the track and plays midi notes where the RealTrack instrument is muted.

Like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6krkobu3yb65wsr/RealTrack-ShinyGuitar.mp4?dl=0
© PG Music Forums