PG Music Home
Posted By: Wayne M (BC) I cannot hear my Melody midi track - 07/10/19 01:23 AM
Hoping someone can help. I'm able to add a Midi Melody track to a new song (using a Midi keyboard controller) and can hear it fine. However, when I add a Midi Melody track to an existing song (Melody track), I can see in the notation that it records fine onto the Melody track, but I cannot hear it on playback. I've tried mute/unmute, erasing the track and trying again, but nothing seems to work.
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: I cannot hear my Melody midi track - 07/10/19 04:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Wayne M (BC)
Hoping someone can help. I'm able to add a Midi Melody track to a new song (using a Midi keyboard controller) and can hear it fine. However, when I add a Midi Melody track to an existing song (Melody track), I can see in the notation that it records fine onto the Melody track, but I cannot hear it on playback. I've tried mute/unmute, erasing the track and trying again, but nothing seems to work.

Do you have the default softsynth set up propoerly through your soundcard?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: I cannot hear my Melody midi track - 07/10/19 04:54 AM
Hi Wayne,

Welcome to the forums!

I agree with DeasonBlues99, it's most likely a soundcard thing.

Have a look at the below video clip. It might help. Although it uses BIAB 2013, the principle is still the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THKC6FvvrTw

Also, go to the link below and set the audio and MIDI drivers as shown. This is always a good, basic setup when trying to problem solve.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=461558#Post461558

• NOTE: Prior to changing your drivers, though, I encourage you to save your current set up -- there's an option under the Options Menu to do this. Saving will allow you to easily return to your current settings.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: jford Re: I cannot hear my Melody midi track - 07/10/19 01:30 PM
When you record your keyboard, it will use the settings for the "Thru" track, so you'll hear whatever instrument is assigned to the Thru track. Then after recording, the notes should be captured on the Melody track (or the Soloist track, if that's where you specified). Make sure you have assigned an appropriate MIDI instrument to the Melody track.

One of my previous wish list items (which has yet to be implemented) is to automatically assign the Thru track settings to the Melody (or Soloist) track after completing a recording.

I assume other MIDI tracks play correctly (you can test this by selecting an all-MIDI style).
Posted By: Wayne M (BC) Re: I cannot hear my Melody midi track - 07/10/19 07:03 PM
Hi, I tried Noel's Midi driver setting suggestions and still the same issue. I don't think it's a sound card issue because for a NEW song I can record the Melody track using my Midi keyboard controller and hear it just fine.

The problem is with an older song I originally created in BIAB 2016. I originally had a RealTrack on the Melody track, but am trying to replace it now with a Midi-generated Melody. For the most part, it works -- I can record the Melody onto the Melody track, and see the new melody in the Notation window. But I can't hear it on Playback. Another clue -- in the Mixer during playback, it doesn't show any volume registering for this track (Melody), although it shows volume for all the other tracks which I can hear.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much... Wayne
Posted By: Noel96 Re: I cannot hear my Melody midi track - 07/10/19 07:20 PM
Ahhh... another clue!

Thanks for the extra information, Wayne, it helps.

A Realtrack (RT) that's present on the Melody track takes precedence and will, when it's generated, overwrite any melody created on the Melody track (if the RT has notation associated with it).

How did you remove the RT from the Melody track?

Is the RT part of the style or did you load the RT there manually?

If your Soloist track is free, you can record and write melodies on the soloist track. If you are using the Melodist to create melodies, it's also possible to direct that to write the melody on the Soloist track (see the image below).

To view the Soloist track in Notation Editor, simply select the "S" on the far right (see the image below).

It would be great if you can capture and image of your BIAB desktop with a problem song loaded and then post that image in this thread. It would help us all heaps in trying to solve your problem.

The link below explains how to post images on the desktop.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=472139#Post472139

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture melodist change write track.JPG
© PG Music Forums