PG Music Home
Am trying to add a ‘pad’ Realtrack to BIAB piece, with intention of rendering it as MIDI file so can eventually use it in DAW. Am only using those Realtracks suggested by the program and that have required ‘n’ in ‘Chart’ column.

At present, some of these pads are fine, whereas others produce weird notation, which translates to equally odd MIDI files with many missing notes and suddenly cut-off chords. The ones that don’t work are those with long notes (which I think of as traditional pad format); those with shorter notes are fine.

I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong or simply expecting the program to do something it can’t?

Pads that are OK are: 2266, 2267, 2268, 2291, 2305, 2745 and 2746. Those that produce the strange effect described are: 1265, 1278, 1543, 1840, 1841 and 1842. There are further oddities with 2293, which loads with that number but changes to 2291 once rendered, and 2266 which changes to 2265.

Wonder if anyone has thoughts on the matter, and / or can see if they can re-create the problem please? Song tempo – 85BPM and in key of ‘F’.

BIAB version 628, Windows 10.
Originally Posted By: allanmorrow
Am trying to add a ‘pad’ Realtrack to BIAB piece, with intention of rendering it as MIDI file so can eventually use it in DAW. Am only using those Realtracks suggested by the program and that have required ‘n’ in ‘Chart’ column.

At present, some of these pads are fine, whereas others produce weird notation, which translates to equally odd MIDI files with many missing notes and suddenly cut-off chords. The ones that don’t work are those with long notes (which I think of as traditional pad format); those with shorter notes are fine.

I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong or simply expecting the program to do something it can’t?

Pads that are OK are: 2266, 2267, 2268, 2291, 2305, 2745 and 2746. Those that produce the strange effect described are: 1265, 1278, 1543, 1840, 1841 and 1842. There are further oddities with 2293, which loads with that number but changes to 2291 once rendered, and 2266 which changes to 2265.

Wonder if anyone has thoughts on the matter, and / or can see if they can re-create the problem please? Song tempo – 85BPM and in key of ‘F’.

BIAB version 628, Windows 10.

I'm curious as to why you would even want to convert an RT pad sequence to MIDI in the first place when converting RT to MIDI gives iffy results and you have much, much, better options available-that are already in MIDI-through the MIDI supertracks or by selecting a regular MIDI track patch and picking a preset... This will be accurate note-for-note as they are already MIDI to begin with.

Am I missing something here?

DB09
Thanks for your response. Will try what you suggest - it simply hadn't occurred to me this was an option.
Originally Posted By: allanmorrow
Thanks for your response. Will try what you suggest - it simply hadn't occurred to me this was an option.

Absolutely!

BiaB and MIDI can do incredible things together :-)
Thanks again - works perfectly. Comes under the 'Now how was it I didn't think of that' category. Under such circumstance I usually cite being old and definitely not a musician as a feeble excuse!
Hi Allan,

When you say "render to midi" could you please give a little more detail regarding what you mean by this? I'm not quite following.

Regards,
Noel
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Allan,

When you say "render to midi" could you please give a little more detail regarding what you mean by this? I'm not quite following.

Regards,
Noel

From what I gathered, OP basically converted a Synth Pad RT to MIDI (via the drop-station or otherwise) instead of using a MIDI track to begin with.
Correct - was RT to MIDI conversion. Fortunately all is well now with the solution put forward.
I'll just say it. You can't render a RT to midi. The program is not designed for that really.
Keep in mind that the notation provided with some RealTracks is for educational use only. There is no assurance it will produce musical results when played by itself as MIDI.

Most (possibly all of them, now) of the keyboard-based tracks are taken from a MIDI out on the performer's keyboard and should be pretty accurate. Other instruments are not necessarily; I know because I wrote some of them in the early days of RealTracks for electric guitar and sax solos. While I stand by my work, I can't speak for the quality of all.

Since some of the Pad tracks are good, though, while some are not, may I suggest you send an email to support@pgmusic and list the details you have carefully discovered, and reference this thread. They should find your work very helpful and there is a problem, they will be the ones who can fix it. The "missing notes" and "suddenly cut-off chords" sound like a technical problem.

Originally Posted By: silvertones
I'll just say it. You can't render a RT to midi. The program is not designed for that really.

Yes, this is true in BiaB and RB. However you can convert RT to MIDI in Melodyne. Been there-done that.
Me Too! grin
Posted By: DrDan Re: Problem converting 'pad' Realtrack to MIDI - 07/17/19 02:37 PM
I will only add, I have found some very nice midi pads in BIAB. You have to do some searching, but believe me they are there.
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
I will only add, I have found some very nice midi pads in BIAB. You have to do some searching, but believe me they are there.

Welcome to my world cool
Thanks all for comments and advice.
© PG Music Forums