PG Music Home
Posted By: Hellalive Hold a chord over chord changes? - 07/26/19 07:20 PM
Hi!

I'm new to BIAB as of today but I already love it and have made some great tracks.

I've a small problem though, is it possible to hold a chord over chord change? Like in Zombie by The Cranberries, when the verse beginns the electric guitar plays an E minor that is ringing out over the next chord change to a C. I know how to hold a chord in BIAB but when the next chord comes the chord that was on hold stops abruptly.

Is there any way to solve this?

Thanks!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Hold a chord over chord changes? - 07/26/19 07:43 PM
Hi Hellalive,

Welcome to the forums smile

How I would solve this problem is to use two tracks for the instrument that you would like to have ringing and have this instrument on both tracks. Let's call these track A and track B.

To set up track A: have the C chord and remove the Em chord. To get the held effect type C... (the three dots say to "hold" the chord). This can also be set using Chord Settings (ALT+F5). Keep the other chords the same. Generate this track by right-clicking on the track names in the mixer, select Track Actions and then generate the track. Freeze this track.

Now that Track A is organised and frozen to preserve the C hold. Modify the chordsheet by entering C in place of C... and adding the Em chord. Generate and play.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Hellalive Re: Hold a chord over chord changes? - 07/26/19 08:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Hellalive,

Welcome to the forums smile

How I would solve this problem is to use two tracks for the instrument that you would like to have ringing and have this instrument on both tracks. Let's call these track A and track B.

To set up track A: have the C chord and remove the Em chord. To get the held effect type C... (the three dots say to "hold" the chord). This can also be set using Chord Settings (ALT+F5). Keep the other chords the same. Generate this track by right-clicking on the track names in the mixer, select Track Actions and then generate the track. Freeze this track.

Now that Track A is organised and frozen to preserve the C hold. Modify the chordsheet by entering C in place of C... and adding the Em chord. Generate and play.

Regards,
Noel

Hi, and thank you.

I've created another guitar track and freezed it but I actually have no idea of how to execute anything of what you described in the section after (ALT+F5). laugh
Posted By: Hellalive Re: Hold a chord over chord changes? - 07/27/19 04:44 AM
Thank you!

What you say seems possible, but I have no idea of how to execute it. Haha!

I tried and made another guitar track, changed the chord, freezed the track and then changed the chord back but the ring out won't hold for more than four bars.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Hold a chord over chord changes? - 08/07/19 05:35 PM
Well, that's a a different story you didn't say originally how long this was for. A Real Track guitar cannot hold a chord that long because it will naturally decay like a piano. You need to put in another Em chord in the appropriate bar and hold it again with the three dots. Or, you could change to a midi guitar but even then you may need to change the envelope in the piano roll view to make it hold as long as you want.

Bob
© PG Music Forums