PG Music Home
Posted By: raylaur Newbie question: Saving edited notation - 11/20/09 04:51 AM
After entering notes in Editable Notation mode and saving the file, when I reload that file the notes are gone. Also if I enter notes in Editable Notation mode and then try to play them, the notes are erased and replaced by automated Band in The Box music.

How do I preserve edits that I make to a song and play that song without losing my edits?

I'm using Band in a Box 2009 on a Vista PC.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Newbie question: Saving edited notation - 11/20/09 05:38 AM
You need to enter notes on the Melody track and save the file if you want the notes to save. If you entered music on the B, G, S(tring), these data are overwritten when you generate an accompaniment; and although the Soloist is not overwritten when you regenerate an accompaniment, the data are lost when you close the song. As a safety precaution, I always use "Save song with patches and harmony" when I save melodies. (Please see your other post for how to determine which track you are writing to.)

Also, if you enter notes on the Melody track and then generate a melody, you'll overwrite your data.
Posted By: jford Re: Newbie question: Saving edited notation - 11/20/09 11:23 AM
And that's the way BIAB is designed to work. It generates a slightly different arrangement each time, because your live band will play it slightly different each time.

If you want to change the Bass, Drum, Piano, Guitar, or Strings tracks, then I would suggest loading your BIAB song into RealBand and doing it there, where you have full control over all your tracks.
Posted By: raylaur Re: Newbie question: Saving edited notation - 11/20/09 01:29 PM
Thank you all. I'll give that a try.
You can also use the Copy/Move Tracks command from the Edit menu and move the instrument whose notation you'd like to edit to either the Melody or Solo track (if empty). You can then edit them there and your changes will be saved.
© PG Music Forums