PG Music Home
Posted By: KGU 2 Questions? - 08/23/19 05:28 PM
1 Why don't the lyrics stay with the chords you have assigned
them?

{ this is super annoying when you change another section
and that section gets all messed up - really confusing, too! }

2 When you highlight lyrics - why isn't it cut and paste?

Instead you have to manually delete the current lyrics. This
is super clunky!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Questions? - 08/23/19 08:42 PM
Hi KGU,

What kind of lyrics are you referring to... bar-based lyrics, note-based lyric or line lyrics?

Please let me know and I'll see if I can answer your questions.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: KGU 2 Re: Questions? - 08/23/19 09:18 PM
Hi Noel96 ,

I'm talking about bar based lyrics in the chord sheet. I'll be darned if
there's a way to stick them to your hard entered chord choices?

Instead, when you change something else in your song, they go haywire..!
This makes for endless fixing work, and frustration.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Questions? - 08/23/19 11:22 PM
Hi again,

I hear your frustration.

While I'm not sure what version of BIAB you have, the thoughts below might help.

1. Bar lyrics have their own individual editing tools that are accessed by right-clicking on the bar lyrics layer. There are two different tool menus available. (See image 1, below.)

2. When entering lyrics...

(a) First copy or type them into the "Lyric Document Window" -- found under "Edit | Lyrics". This will create lyrics in text format. They will also save when you save the song and so be easily accessed at any future time.

(b) Make sure that each bar of lyrics is on its own line.

(c) Drag the mouse across the lyrics your want to copy and paste to select them. Press CTRL+C to to copy them. (Multiple lines can be copied.)

(d) Now right-click on the bar lyric layer at the bar you want to start lyric entry and select PASTE from the menu.

(e) The lyrics will be entered. It's also possible to enter multiple consecutive bars of lyrics this way. (See image 2 below.)

3. Lastly, if you have BIAB 2019. Go to Help and search for Bar Based Lyric as shown in image 3 below. This will take you to a great article on some of the tricks with using the bar-based lyric layer.

Regards,
Noel

Description: IMAGE 1... Bar lyric layer editing tools
Attached picture bar lyric layer - editing.JPG

Description: IMAGE 2... Entering bar based lyrics using the Lyric Document Window.
Attached picture bar lyrics layer - pasting from document window.JPG

Description: IMAGE 3... Bar-based lyrics Help.
Attached picture bar based lyric help.JPG
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Questions? - 08/24/19 09:39 AM
Hi

There is a good video of this, as part of a webinar by our Joanne Cooper,
This will help a lot.
Link to webinar the part you want is at about 42 mins .

Here is link to the webinar.
https://youtu.be/nLDM0gDC-uY

Mike
Posted By: Grem Re: Questions? - 08/24/19 05:09 PM
Thanks for the help. Really makes a difference.
Posted By: KGU 2 Re: Questions? - 08/24/19 05:18 PM
thanks guys,

those are helpful tips, and great video - I'll watch the rest of it later.

BUT , BUT - unfortunately that doesn't address THE MAIN PROBLEM of my particular issue.

Lets say one is more an ORIGINAL composer, than cover artist. What the video doesn't address is: [ OK, Lets make a hypothetical song, to demonstrate.]

YOUR ORIGINAL SONG - example structure.

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

Okay, say you just finished adding your original lyrics to Part 3. You specifically put exact chords to exact lyrics. Everything looks good.

Now you go back to Part 1. You decide you need more bars / less bars, some change in Part 1.

BAM !! - the rest of the song goes haywire!!!!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Questions? - 08/24/19 05:46 PM
Are you using the "insert bars / delete bars" that appears in the right-click menu when on the chordsheet?

When I use this, the lyrics stay with the chords to which they were originally assigned. Only the bar numbers change to accommodate the addition or removal of bars.

If you type your lyrics in the "Lyric Document Window" and keep the three parts separate, it would be very easy to enter each section of lyrics again using copy and paste. All you'd need to do is to make sure that the lines of lyrics accurately reflect the number bars in each section.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: KGU 2 Re: Questions? - 08/24/19 06:23 PM
Are you using the "insert bars / delete bars" that appears in the right-click menu when on the chordsheet?

Aha. Ok, thanks a bunch, I'm baffled now, cause that seems to be working . No, I was using EDIT at the top, however THAT seems to work now too.

I don't know what I was doing to get things so out of
order? Could it have been a section for a SOLO - with
no lyrics, that was in the middle?

it happened more than once. I'm using 2018, i hope that isn't the cause?

When I use this, the lyrics stay with the chords to which they were originally assigned. Only the bar numbers change to accommodate the addition or removal of bars.

right.

If you type your lyrics in the "Lyric Document Window" and keep the three parts separate, it would be very easy to enter each section of lyrics again using copy and paste. All you'd need to do is to make sure that the lines of lyrics accurately reflect the number bars in each section.

I will work with this. This seems like the best way.

Id be great if this is ever updated, and numbered bars are in the document window, that could be edited / moved non linear.

Regards,
Noel

Thanks for fantastic help, Noel!
Posted By: KGU 2 Re: Questions? - 08/24/19 06:37 PM
UPDATE -

there seems to be a bad bug in 2018.

When you paste from the Document window, its not an accurate one line clean paste.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Questions? - 08/24/19 07:21 PM
I'm not sure but it sounds like you might have experienced what I did when I first tried this.

The first time I tried pasting the lyrics, I double-clicked on the bar lyrics line and that took me into the layer as if I was typing the words. When I did this, all the lyrics went into that bar.

I erased those and then I did the following...

1. I selected and copied the text from the lyric document window

2. I then single right-clicked on the lyric layer at the bar where I wanted lyrics to start and then selected 'paste' from the right-click menu -- this worked for me

Posted By: KGU 2 Re: Questions? - 08/24/19 11:44 PM
thanks Noel96,

yes, that may have been the problem. I find the pasting a bit finicky.

But the lyric sheet is great! I'm a happy biab camper, again.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Questions? - 08/25/19 03:35 AM
Excellent! I'm pleased to read that you're back up and sailing on smooth water smile

All the best,
Noel
© PG Music Forums