PG Music Home
Posted By: Moshe13us Swiss knife ? - 08/30/19 07:25 PM
Hello,
I First bought BiaB on floppy disks (v. 7,I guess). Back then, I was told by the dealer that it was designed by Canadian jazz musicians for jazz cats.
Now, it seems to me that BiaB became everything for everybody. Honestly, I only use 15% of its resources (forget Celtic, hiphop, kletzmer, metal, etc.). Bottom line : when I bought Extra Pak#7,I'm only interested in 4-5 styles max.
Please don't become a musical swiss knife!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Swiss knife ? - 08/30/19 07:52 PM
Oh, goodness, I think you're a few decades too late. It is possible to buy just the RealTracks and styles in a single genre, but if you want a few genres, it's probably more cost-effective to get them all.

I'll also mention that some of PG Music's XtraPak styles can contain surprises. They will sometimes have a track from a genre I would not have thought to consider, but combined with others, it works.
Posted By: Moshe13us Re: Swiss knife ? - 08/30/19 08:34 PM
Matt, you use the soft as you prefer. In my experience as a jazz/latin musician, I'm the first to acknowledge that BiaB simply revolutionized music learning. But while observing its evolution, I can't help to note that hip-hop, rap, karaoke, kletzmer, worshipping, etc. aren't really my priorities. Why should I pay for that?
At first, the styles floppy disks shared indeed the same orientation.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Swiss knife ? - 08/30/19 10:31 PM
Understood.

I’m a jazz/Latin musician, too.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Swiss knife ? - 08/30/19 10:36 PM
I agree with Matt.

The genres that I like are country, easy-listening, latin and jazz. That said, I've had some terrific surprises by not limiting myself to those genres. In a co-write that I'm presently involved with, I have pop bass, jazz piano and Celtic guitar.

That said, I definitely hear what you are saying. As Matt mentions, it is possible to get genre-specific deals and I know that some of the forum members purchase those. These might be a good option to think about in the future.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Moshe13us Re: Swiss knife ? - 08/31/19 05:54 AM
You're perfectly right. Problem is that the very price structure of the various RTs releases makes it clear that it's far more cost-effective globally tao buy the whole packaged styles whatever the genres.Result: you end up with zillions of styles, substyles and "fusion" styles you rarely use, if ever...
I personally use brazilian drums loops in order to extend the choice of samba grooves (i.e. Marcha rancho, baião) instead of realdrums that go "one size fits all".
© PG Music Forums