PG Music Home
Posted By: Loz Just upgraded from 2007! - 09/10/19 06:06 PM
Hi all,

I have finally updated my biab 2007 to 2019. I have used 2007 quite a lot in the past, but little in the past few years. I use reaper as a daw and the vst option tempted me to finally upgrade. Real tracks and real drums are new to me... and I’m very impressed so far. I used to use the old fortedxi midi. What is the best midi sw synth to use with 2019.

I see things like hi-q but is there any information to help an upgrade from 2007 for midi and the major new features?

Cheers folks
Posted By: Hugh2 Re: Just upgraded from 2007! - 09/10/19 06:39 PM
Hi Loz
wow it will be like a complete new program.I use Reaper in Biab too and they work really well.You can drag the tracks across fairly easily .If you check the box for creat realcharts when you are generating the track it will give you the midi and notation of each realtrack generated .Here is the video page hope it helps H
https://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Just upgraded from 2007! - 09/10/19 07:25 PM
Hi

As you have come from 2007 to 19
You may find the new interface a bit strange to you,
The good news is the old style interface that you are used to is still available.
Control T toggles between the two.

Once back in the old interface you will see the familiar MIDI icon this is where you choose your midi synths and set some audio settings,

The COYOTE WAVE Table is available as a dxi and you can set this as your default midi synth.
Also put a tick in the box Route Midi to vst / dxi
This should get you up and running with a reasonable sound and is always a good starting point for testing.

Mike
Posted By: Loz Re: Just upgraded from 2007! - 09/10/19 08:24 PM
Cheers guys... I'm ok learning a new interface.
I've now managed to get the CoyoteWT DXi synth set up - I'm assuming that has replaced my old forte (which I think was only 32 bit)

The sforzando synth and the Hi-Q stuff still seems a little confusing.

I am right in assuming that realtracks are really now what people are using instead of MIDI these days?

Also I used PTPA way back - I see Realban has a lot of similarities - but just wondered are people now using Realband more than BIAB (Realband is of course new to me)

Thanks again for the help - I always remember this forum for helpful active members

cheers
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Just upgraded from 2007! - 09/10/19 08:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Loz
I am right in assuming that realtracks are really now what people are using instead of MIDI these days?

BiaB still allows you to use MIDI as well as the newer RealTracks. You can even mix'n'match with a combination of MIDI and RealTracks in your songs. It's a personal choice, but the flexibility is available. I enjoy the realism of the RealTracks.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Just upgraded from 2007! - 09/10/19 10:56 PM
Hi Loz,

PG Music has introduced a good number of features since 2007. When there are new features there's new terminology.

A Hi-Q midi patch is still a midi patch. However the patch is not general midi compatible, is created by PG Music and requires a special player for playback. The player has changed over the years between the free versions of 1K Multimedia's SampleTank 2 and 2.5, Plogue's Sforzando and Synthfont64. The program automatically loads both the midi patch and the player.

Typically midi tracks generated by Band-in-a-Box styles are pattern based. MidiSuperTracks are midi tracks generated from recorded midi phrases played by musicians. Each midiSuperTrack has a Hi-Q midi patch associated with it. However you can over ride the instrument selection.

RealTracks and RealDrums are PG Music created audio tracks filled with musical phrases and riffs. UserTracks are user or third party created audio tracks filled with musical phrases and riffs. Many RealTracks and RealDrums have embedded midi to facilitate the creation of lead and fake sheets. However, the midi can not be edited and since they are audio based the sound does not follow the midi.

Direct input or DI Realtracks are RealTracks without effects. For instance you may find a "surf" guitar RealTrack that plays just what you want it to play but the track has too much echo and reverb. If the RealTrack has a DI counterpart it is the same audio without the echo and reverb.

RealStyles are styles where all the instruments are RealTracks and RealDrums. Hybrid styles have a mixture of midi and audio instruments.

I hope that overview helps reduce confusion.
Posted By: Loz Re: Just upgraded from 2007! - 09/11/19 05:00 PM
That is a great reply and very helpful... cheers
© PG Music Forums