PG Music Home
Posted By: JackGreen18 Program won't open :-( - 09/25/19 07:25 AM
Hi everyone, this is probably more of a Windows question but thought I'd try here anyway.

I can't remember which version of BIAB I have, but all of a sudden it won't open!

Double clicking does nothing, nor does right clicking on the shortcut, the only result I get is when I right click on the program itself. Doing so will bring up the introduction screen, which then disappears. The hourglass will turn on the mouse pointer but soon stops, then nothing happens.

The program shows up in the task manager, but it just won't open.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Program won't open :-( - 09/25/19 09:02 AM
Welcome to the forums.

1: How long ago did you purchase your BiaB program?

2: Which Windows O/S are you running? Did you recently upgrade?

The fact that the welcome screen appears indicates that the program launches (initially) but then cannot complete the startup.

Do this:

Open Windows Explorer
Select Search (1)
Select This PC (2)
Enter bbw.exe (3)
See if this file is found, which will give you the location (4)

Open that folder location (presuming is is C:\bb\) and navigate to C:\bb\Data\Logs\ you will (hopefully) find a file named: 'FlashMessageLog.txt' and possibly 'BBWERROR.LOG'

The top message in 'FlashMessageLog.txt' may give some clues. Otherwise, the bottom message in 'BBWERROR.LOG' might also be useful.

You may need to reinstall.

Suggest you contact PG Music Support people.

Attached picture 2019-09-25_21-53-43.jpg
Posted By: MarioD Re: Program won't open :-( - 09/25/19 10:27 AM
In addition to VideoTrack's good advise check your hard drive for errors. If its OK then run cCleaner scan, a root kill program, a full virus scan and a couple of anti-maleware programs. If you need help with these free programs just ask.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: Program won't open :-( - 09/25/19 02:35 PM
Another idea is to restore factory settings. In the bb folder, duplicate the Preferences folder to keep a backup of it, then delete the files in the Preferences folder, and try launching the program again.
Posted By: JackGreen18 Re: Program won't open :-( - 09/25/19 07:30 PM
I can't remember when I bought it, but I just noticed on the introduction screen that it is BIAB 10 running on Windows 7.

I opened the folder but couldn't find any of the folders and files you mentioned :-(

Looks like a case of reinstall, but I can't find the original disc :-(
Posted By: JackGreen18 Re: Program won't open :-( - 09/25/19 11:50 PM
I also don't appear to have a preferences folder...strange! I'm yet to do an error check, hopefully that will fix something.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Program won't open :-( - 09/26/19 01:49 AM
Jack, if it's an older version, it's likely that the files/folders might be stored elsewhere. A new feature was added more recently to consolidate files into improved locations.

From the parent folder (x:\bb\) search all sub-folders for a file named 'intrface.bbw'.

In that folder, rename the files intrface.bbw and Mysetup.dk (rename to anything, e.g. intrface_OLD.bbw)

Then start BiaB and see if it launches.

Do let us know.

Trevor
Posted By: JackGreen18 Re: Program won't open :-( - 09/26/19 02:58 AM
Have tried all that, and still no luck - have searched the entire hard drive for the other files and they're just not there.

I have also noticed that whenever I try to open the program, a program named 'conhost.exe' appears under 'processes' in the task manager.
Posted By: JackGreen18 Re: Program won't open :-( - 09/26/19 04:48 AM
Is it possible that an upgrade patch would fix the problem?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Program won't open :-( - 09/26/19 08:38 AM
I don't know that an upgrade patch would fix. Maybe, maybe not, depending on where the problem is.

Can you perform a complete reinstall?

Can you log on to your account at PG Music and re-download all of the files in your account?
Posted By: JackGreen18 Re: Program won't open :-( - 09/26/19 08:59 AM
I don't believe I have an account, I don't remember setting one up when I bought the software all those years ago - I think I may have purchased it on Ebay to be honest, it was so long ago and my memory is not so good anymore.
Posted By: Dave Re: Program won't open :-( - 09/26/19 09:38 AM
BIAB 10 is very old. It came out long before BIAB 2010. There aren't any patches listed on the support pages for this version.

Even so, it should still work. The architecture for the supporting files will have changed - there are no REalTracks or RealDrums. It might mean PGM digging into their archive.

Good luck
Posted By: MarioD Re: Program won't open :-( - 09/26/19 09:39 AM
Originally Posted By: JackGreen18
Have tried all that, and still no luck - have searched the entire hard drive for the other files and they're just not there.

I have also noticed that whenever I try to open the program, a program named 'conhost.exe' appears under 'processes' in the task manager.

conhost.exe can be either a legit Windows' file or it can be a Trogan, see here: https://www.file.net/process/conhost.exe.html

Yours is probably legit but I would check it out ASAP.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Program won't open :-( - 09/26/19 10:12 AM
Mario's right. Could be OK, maybe not. What anti-virus are you running? Has it provided you with anything 'feedback wise' to be concerned about?
Posted By: jford Re: Program won't open :-( - 09/26/19 12:22 PM
Is it version 10 or version 2010? Version 10 came out in 2011 (18 years ago).

If you don't have the installation discs, I'm not sure there is anything you can do (other than contacting PGMusic and assuming you bought directly from PGMusic, they might be able to provide an installation disc, but I doubt it since it is so old).

If you do get it installed, there is a version 10.0c patch available on this page.

Likewise, if you have 2010 and can get your installation files, there is a 2010.5 patch from July 2010 (still pretty old).

If you really want to use BIAB and can't get your installation media, I would contact PGMusic to make sure they have a record of your original purchase, and then wait for BIAB 2020 (which presumably will come out for this Christmas season) and upgrade then, since that's when they have their best prices (at least based on previous experience).
Posted By: JackGreen18 Re: Program won't open :-( - 09/26/19 03:10 PM
Thanks to all for your help, unfortunately now my computer won't even start up so I'm in bigger trouble than I thought!
© PG Music Forums