PG Music Home
Posted By: berntd Trouble with RT143 realtracks dixieland - 10/13/19 12:58 AM
Hello friends

I am using 32bit BIAB 2019 (634) but I have had the same issue ever since buying the RT143 pack.

The problem is subtle but it annoys me greatly as it just sounds off.

I perceive this as rhythm issue in that somehow the instruments do not always seem to play the same rhythm.
This become very noticeable when I increase the volume of the piano. The instruments suddenly sound out of sync. It occurs at the beginning of a bar, especially when the chords change.
It then corrects immediately again but it is definitely there.

I am not sure if this is also a problem on other styles since I mostly use this one.

What can be the cause of this issue?

EDIT:
I have experimented a bit more and I slowed the tempo right down from 160 to 90, just to see.
I can confirm that there is a hesitation (or perceived slowing in temp momentarily) present whenever there is a chord change at the beginning of a bar.

Posted By: Noel96 Re: Trouble with RT143 realtracks dixieland - 10/13/19 01:27 AM
Hi berntd,

What I suggest you do is to create a song, make sure that it plays so that the problem is easily heard, freeze all tracks, attach it an email and send it to support@pgmusic.com so that they can hear it.

In your email, outline the problem as you have above and mention about slowing the tempo to better hear it. Also, identify which bars are the best ones to listen to appreciate the problem.

Regards,
Noel

Noel's advice is spot on.

Watch the mixer patch names while you change the tempo from 160 to 90 bpm. Does the instrument name stay the same or does the name include a tilde ( ~ ) symbol at the beginning of the name?

The tilde ( ~ ) symbol means Band-in-a-Box is automatically substituting a RealTrack to better match the song tempo. So if you change the song tempo and then freeze the instruments, the RealTracks may not accurately reflect your original tracks. While both the original selected RealTrack and substituted RealTrack may have the timing error it maybe easy to claim the timing error is an artifact created by stretching the tempo too much. I would not change the tempo unless you intend for the song to use 90 bpm. It confuses the issue.
Posted By: berntd Re: Trouble with RT143 realtracks dixieland - 10/17/19 07:08 AM
I only changed the tempo down to try and identify the problem. I heard it at tempo 150 already. It is not visible in the notation but hearable.
The best way forward is for you to create a short sample Band-in-a-Box song, say 32 bars (1 chorus), where you can hear this problem. Save the song as an .SGU, and also render the same song to audio (.wma or .m4a file), then share a link to both of these files.

You can post links to the files using cloud storage service like Dropbox or Google drive, or you could attach the files to your forum reply using the file manager.
FWIW - thrre are a few RTs, usually synth or pad ones,that still have 'gaps' at the start of chords.
Its random, so not actual chord related, so re-gens in BB, or partial track re-gens in RB can sometimes get rid of most.
But it's a PITA to have to do it.
Ian
Posted By: berntd Re: Trouble with RT143 realtracks dixieland - 10/20/19 02:11 AM
Ok Andrew, group,

I have created a simple test song and also audio of it.
Here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ums5y026un3aw6v/AACLSXdkAzaHuJESrHEjU__-a?dl=0

The instruments get out of tempo/sync/weird already while just playing the C chord.
It is not just the piano as I muted that (not in this recording) and can clearly hear it with the strumming of the guitar as well.

It becomes seriously worse when the song repeats for the second chorus from bar 1.
During the repeat, from bar 10 onward, it is not usable as a band in my opinion.

Regards Bernt
Ouch! That's really bad. crazy
Hi,

Thanks for sharing the test files. I agree, there is clearly a problem with the timing of these 165bpm Piano and Guitar rhythm styles, which is exacerbated by being time-stretched down to 150 bpm.

We'll investigate these further. The solution I have right now is to use to the 110 bpm rhythm styles. I tested your the file and it sounds much better. Here is specifically what I did:

1. Open Song Settings, and uncheck the option to substitute RealTracks based on tempo. (this prevents it from automatically switching to the 165bpm RealTracks. FYI there is also a global setting for this).

2. Assigned RT#1791 to the Piano track and #1795 to the Guitar track.

3. Unfroze the tracks and regenerated.

Attached File
RT143_test_song_1_AP.m4a  (2 downloads)
Posted By: berntd Re: Trouble with RT143 realtracks dixieland - 10/22/19 03:55 AM
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.

I can't follow your instructions.

I do not have the realtrack numbers RT#1791 and #1795 you mentioned listed in the Realtrack Asignment / picker.

Should they not come with RT143 as it appears they are needed?

I have the same issue with all the styles in RT143.
In fact, I see no assignment changes on any tempo change, even with the checkbox you mentioned unticked.

They all stay assigned with Tempo 165 and the bass is tempo 140

What shall I try next?

Regards
Bernt

Hello Bernt,

No they are from a more recent RealTracks Set which it appears you don't have. However I have a solution, which I will message you about.
© PG Music Forums