PG Music Home
Posted By: allanmorrow MIDI Import Problem - 10/14/19 01:14 PM
Having a problem with MIDI imported into either ‘Melody’ or ‘Soloist’ tracks in that the final two bars are mute. Files load and play correctly in various other programs including ‘Realband’.

Have tried both 8 and 24 bar MIDI files with the same result. Song length is set to 32 bars and its other tracks play on past the mute MIDI bars.

‘Preferences / Count-In’ is disabled and ‘Song Settings / Generate 2 Bar Ending’ is unselected. Have tried ‘Reset All Bars’ in ‘Bar Settings’.

I’m pretty sure I’m missing something obvious here. Can someone tell me what please?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: MIDI Import Problem - 10/14/19 03:11 PM
Although you mentioned that you had reset all bars in Bar Settings, the one thing that comes to mind is to select the bar where the issue begins, press function key <F5> (or right-click and select Bar Settings) and check if any of the tracks are still muted (volume change etc) at that point.

Are the tracks frozen?

On the chord sheet, are there any red marks on that specific bar(s) indicating a bar change is still in place?

If you view the MIDI data for those bars, what are the velocity / volume values (the Piano Roll editor might be a good way to check this).
Posted By: Noel96 Re: MIDI Import Problem - 10/14/19 07:23 PM
Hi Allan,

What I find interesting is that it's two bars.

This could suggest that it's related to either having the 2-bar count-in turned off or have the 2-bar ending disabled.

Have you tried enabling these two options to see if it solves the problem?

While the above options shouldn't make a difference, it might be that there is a programming routine that links the above that needs correcting and that PG Music have not yet discovered.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: allanmorrow Re: MIDI Import Problem - 10/15/19 06:51 AM
Thanks VT and Noel for suggestions.

Looking at Piano Roll, the last two bars show no notation, although they definitely appear in other programs.

Curiously, if count-in is enabled the first two bars are played while playback cursor stays on bar one. It then plays the remaining six bars.

Tried ‘Factory Reset’ and 32bit version of program, but effect is the same. Am now not sure if it is ‘pilot error’ or bug. Perhaps best if I hand problem over to PG to see what they make of it.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: MIDI Import Problem - 10/15/19 07:08 AM
Originally Posted By: allanmorrow
Am now not sure if it is ‘pilot error’ or bug. Perhaps best if I hand problem over to PG to see what they make of it.

It does sound like a good next direction to take. From what you have mentioned, this is quite confusing and unexpected.
Posted By: MarioD Re: MIDI Import Problem - 10/15/19 10:42 AM
Downloading and installing a MIDI file into any program can be problematic. Some of those files can contain different commands in different tracks.

After rereading some of the messages if looks like BiaB is truncating the file. How many measures is the file? How much RAM do you have as that can cause the problem? Is there a limit on how much data the Melodist or Sololist can take? I don't know.

You might try coping the file, then take the copy into a MIDI editor and remove everything but the notes to see if that will install.

I'll admit that I have had some problems with installing a MIDI file in BiaB but never a problem like this!

Good luck.
Posted By: allanmorrow Re: MIDI Import Problem - 10/15/19 02:42 PM
Mario D,

Thanks for this. Checked MIDI file and is completely 'clean'. Only used either 8 or 24 bar files for test purposes. 32GB RAM, so not overstretched!

However, had a closer look at 'Import MIDI to Melody' options and there is one for 'Setting for # blank bars to insert at beginning', which I'd not really noticed before. Put in a value of '2' and all is well now. Am wondering if this is simply the way the system works, perhaps 'reserving' two bars at the start so it doesn't get in the way of any count-in?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: MIDI Import Problem - 10/15/19 06:53 PM
Originally Posted By: allanmorrow
Mario D,

Thanks for this. Checked MIDI file and is completely 'clean'. Only used either 8 or 24 bar files for test purposes. 32GB RAM, so not overstretched!

However, had a closer look at 'Import MIDI to Melody' options and there is one for 'Setting for # blank bars to insert at beginning', which I'd not really noticed before. Put in a value of '2' and all is well now. Am wondering if this is simply the way the system works, perhaps 'reserving' two bars at the start so it doesn't get in the way of any count-in?

Allan, the two bars might be needed for a two-bar count in? This might make the song 2 + x bars long and your MIDI song was only playing for x bars. Just a thought.
Posted By: allanmorrow Re: MIDI Import Problem - 10/16/19 03:45 AM
VT,

Thanks for the thought. You are almost certain to be right and there is definite logic to the way it works.
I'm happy to add an extra two bars when importing to get over the problem.
Posted By: jford Re: MIDI Import Problem - 10/16/19 12:29 PM
When I import MIDI, I have always allowed for the two bar lead-in (using the blank bars at the beginning setting).
© PG Music Forums