PG Music Home
Posted By: sixchannel Pressing PLAY re-generates the SGU?! - 11/04/19 05:44 PM
Just finished an SGU and ran it - Generate & Play - to check it and all was good. So I re-gened it as I was hoping for a maybe better generation - and got it!
Perfecto! So I pressed PLAY (just to listen again) and it REGENERATED instead!
How can this be?? And does it happen to anyone else?
Yes - I KNOW I could have / should have frozen the tracks but this surely is unexpected behaviour.
Ian
Posted By: bloc-head Re: Pressing PLAY re-generates the SGU?! - 11/04/19 06:26 PM
Is this behavior repeatable? Which version of Biab are you using? Is it possible you made a minor change to your arrangement, such as a part marker?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Pressing PLAY re-generates the SGU?! - 11/04/19 08:04 PM
Hi Ian,

I sympathise. That's happened to me, too, on a number of occasions.

In past years, BIAB would automatically regenerate under many more different conditions than it does today. My experience is that unless a chord is changed or added, auto-regeneration is rare. Even with a chord deletion auto-generation doesn't usually seem to happen for me. (Personally, I'm glad that the latest BIAB is designed this way.)

That said, in the world of electronics, computers always seem to have a mind of their own sometimes. It could be that BIAB had something in memory from an action that you did that triggered the auto-regeneration.

Are you up-to-date with the latest build?

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Pressing PLAY re-generates the SGU?! - 11/04/19 09:10 PM
I think Ian indicated that he's running build 634, which I think is the latest released version.

I'm going to put an item in the Wishlist that when pressing 'Play', BiaB will warn you if a regenerate is going to take place.

Trev
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Pressing PLAY re-generates the SGU?! - 11/04/19 09:51 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
...I'm going to put an item in the Wishlist that when pressing 'Play', BiaB will warn you if a regenerate is going to take place.

Trev

I like this idea. As long as there is any chance a song might be regenerated, for whatever reasons we don’t yet understand, it would be smart to have a confirmation.
Excellent idea VideoTrack! I've fallen into this trap many times!

Jeff
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Pressing PLAY re-generates the SGU?! - 11/05/19 08:28 AM
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
Excellent idea VideoTrack! I've fallen into this trap many times!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, give it a +Vote in the Wishlist if you like.
Done. It makes no sense to me why this notice hasn't been incorporated into BIAB years ago! This is one of those little quirks that makes BIAB's workflow difficult and totally interrupts the creative process.

Jeff
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Pressing PLAY re-generates the SGU?! - 11/06/19 12:55 PM
Yep, gave it a +1 in the Wishlist.

Thanks, Ian, for the reminder of this little niggle.
Posted By: WendyM Re: Pressing PLAY re-generates the SGU?! - 11/17/19 06:58 AM
Sorry to be late to the party but this just happened to me.a perfect one got regenerated when I pressed Play button.
How about-every time an SGU is generated it is FROZEN automagically (blue ice icons).OK so you have to womanually unfreeze the ones you want to regen but at least you dont lose that perfect take?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Pressing PLAY re-generates the SGU?! - 11/17/19 07:08 AM
Over to the Wishlist, Wendy?

There is confusion on the way this operates, I agree.
Posted By: rharv Re: Pressing PLAY re-generates the SGU?! - 11/17/19 10:26 AM
Why doesn't it simply store the previous version so you can Undo and get back what you had? (instead of writing over them)
To me that would be the ideal solution.
Kind of like RB does ... shove them in a temp folder somewhere.
Clean the temp folder when BiaB closes.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Pressing PLAY re-generates the SGU?! - 11/17/19 12:08 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
Why doesn't it simply store the previous version so you can Undo and get back what you had? (instead of writing over them)
To me that would be the ideal solution.
Kind of like RB does ... shove them in a temp folder somewhere.
Clean the temp folder when BiaB closes.
That works for me. +1
Posted By: MarioD Re: Pressing PLAY re-generates the SGU?! - 11/17/19 01:27 PM
Originally Posted By: WendyM
Sorry to be late to the party but this just happened to me.a perfect one got regenerated when I pressed Play button.
How about-every time an SGU is generated it is FROZEN automagically (blue ice icons).OK so you have to womanually unfreeze the ones you want to regen but at least you dont lose that perfect take?

womanually That is perfect! I'm gonna spread that term around to all of our women friends and family!
© PG Music Forums