PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernard .XML/.mxl files supported? - 12/03/19 01:14 PM
The problem (for me!) is not new, but I have tried it again after starting BiaB 2020...

I have imported an .XML file named
mybabyjustdontcareforme.mxl

At first it apeared as a file with no icon in one directory of mine and trying to open it under BiaB
"open special" did not work, BiaB "not seeing" that file.

Then I "changed" it to a BiaB file, meaning a BiaB icon now apears with the file.The file stills has the same ending (.mxl)
BiaB does not "see it" any better under "open special"

Am I missing something?

It is, of course not crucial since I barely find .XML files to load, but just frustrating...
Bernard
Posted By: jford Re: .XML/.mxl files supported? - 12/03/19 01:37 PM
.MXL is the compressed version of a music XML file. I'm not sure if BIAB reads this or not, but you should be able to uncompress the file.

I've not tried it, but you should be able to change the extension .MXL to .ZIP, then use WinZip (or 7Zip or WinRAR) to unzip the file to obtain the underlying MusicXML file. See this link for more information.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: .XML/.mxl files supported? - 12/03/19 02:03 PM
In Win 10 no need to think about what app to use to unzip something it's built in natively and will zip/unzip most anything. Just right click the file and hit Open. That gives you options to extract it to a specific directory.

Bob
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: .XML/.mxl files supported? - 12/03/19 04:59 PM
Not to the original question, but for anyone reading this thread, BIAB also does export Music XML files. I regularly take BIAB songs into a notation program.
Posted By: Bernard Re: .XML/.mxl files supported? - 12/03/19 07:38 PM
As usual thanks for all replies...
Unfortunately, it does not seem to work with me (!)
Klicking on the file just opens BiaB (clear, since I have defined this type of file to be opened by BiaB) and I dont see any other possibility to uncompress it, I do not even find an unzip Program on my (new-Win10) computer.
Never mind, I still have fun with BiaB 2020.
Bernard
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: .XML/.mxl files supported? - 12/03/19 09:37 PM
<< clear, since I have defined this type of file to be opened by BiaB >>

you should un-associate the file from BIAB and restore to it's original format and then uncompressing should work for you.
Posted By: jford Re: .XML/.mxl files supported? - 12/04/19 10:13 AM
I just checked and it looks like the ability to load compressed Music XML files (.MXL) is now supposed to be supported with BIAB 2020. Maybe this new feature needs additional attention.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: .XML/.mxl files supported? - 12/04/19 02:34 PM
You should be able to open it in MuseScore then save it uncompressed.
Posted By: Mr. Melby Re: .XML/.mxl files supported? - 12/12/19 05:04 PM
Cannot load .mxl files in 2020
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: .XML/.mxl files supported? - 12/12/19 05:43 PM
This patch should fix the problem with Open Special not seeing compressed xml files:

https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/patches/bb2020_win_update_build706.exe
© PG Music Forums