PG Music Home
I seem to recall that this mode was quite easy to use in previous versions of BIAB. I never did use it much but, as I recall, when a note was selected by the mouse it turned red and I was able to move it up and down the staff using the up-down keys. When the delete button was pressed then the note disappeared and the remaining notes were modified to complete the correct note length for the measure. Now this might actually be in my imagination because I have worked with lots of applications like Muse and Sonar that have similar score features, but I know it was not difficult to change a score.

I have just tried this in 2020. Selecting a note in Mono mode mode for the melody does not give me any visual indication that the note has been selected. However, moving the note up and down with the mouse does work, but not by using the up down keys.

If anybody can tell me this was the behaviour before 2020 then I will be satisfied.

Thanks
I’m not at my computer but to my knowledge nothing about this changed in version 2020.

I just click and drag up or down. I never used the arrow keys. I’m familiar with some notation programs where you must first select a note, but this is not the case in BIAB.

Finally, while BIAB automatically holds a note until the next note is entered by a mouse click, it does not work in reverse. If you delete a note, there will be a ‘hole’. I have to then delete the prior note and re-enter it, which will then fill the space. Or, you can do this kind of editing in the piano roll.
Hello,

Use the cursor keys to move forward or backward. Press the 'N' key on your keyboard to insert a note (or highlight an existing), then use the up/down cursor keys to change the pitch of the note. This is a fast notation entry method that was added to a recent version of Band-in-a-Box, but yes it was present in the previous version.
Thanks for the information, especially the use of the 'N' key. That is what I remember.

Using it tells me visually the exact note that I have selected and then I can also use the arrow keys to move the notes vertically. The only thing left that I find awkward is the creation of'Ties'. If I try to tie an eighth note with a quarter note, the tie does note show between these two notes, it simply blobs them into a dotted quarter which is not always how I want to see them with regard to beat timing. Still, the Import/Export XML allows me to easily do all this in Muse.
Yes, the compatibility with MuseScore 3 seems to be excellent.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Yes, the compatibility with MuseScore 3 seems to be excellent.

It is. MuseScore is the program I use when I need notation.
© PG Music Forums