PG Music Home
Hello,

I have a strange problem with BIAB 2020. When I try to play a song demo in style picker, it will show me the little yellow window with the pathname, but the demo won't play. This happens in both 64 bit and 32 bit versions.

I can get the style to play using MY song chords by using that option in stylepicker, but never will it play the demo for that style. However, if I plug in the BIAB 2020 hard drive, it will find the demo and load and play it instantly.

One other thing... even if I go to the folder on my computer that holds the demos (BB\RealTracks\Data\Style Demos Audio), if I double-click on a .wma file, it STILL will not play, if BB is still running.

Windows Media Player works fine any other time. When I shut BB down, I can go back to that folder and play those demo files without a problem.

And lastly, sometimes (quite often), after trying to play a demo off my computer hard drive, BIAB will lock up, and I'll have to use Task Manager to close it.

Any ideas? I wouldn't be surprised if this were somehow related to a Windows 10 update, but I have no way of knowing. Any help is appreciated.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I wonder if it's the BIAB audio driver that's causing the problem.

I've found that sometimes ASIO and WAS drivers will not play BIAB audio if other computer software has control of the card and vice-a-versa.

To check this, go to "Audio | Audio Drivers/Settings" and set the "Audio Driver Type" (top right corner) to MME.

Does this help?

Regards,
Noel

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Jim,

I wonder if it's the BIAB audio driver that's causing the problem.

I've found that sometimes ASIO and WAS drivers will not play BIAB audio if other computer software has control of the card and vice-a-versa.

To check this, go to "Audio | Audio Drivers/Settings" and set the "Audio Driver Type" (top right corner) to MME.

Does this help?

Regards,
Noel

If this winds up being the problem, it's the reason I left my motherboard audio enabled (RealTek). I point Windows at the RealTek audio i/f and BiaB at my PreSonus AudioBox's ASIO driver.

I don't have $1K for an RME (or other) i/f with a solid multi-client ASIO driver, so that's the way I have to roll.

I'm assuming that you installed all of the RealTracks from the BiaB hard drive onto your PC's hard drive, because songs using RealTracks can't play if they're not there.
Quote:
One other thing... even if I go to the folder on my computer that holds the demos (BB\RealTracks\Data\Style Demos Audio), if I double-click on a .wma file, it STILL will not play, if BB is still running.

Yes, this can mostly likely be fixed by unchecking the following setting* via Windows control panel:
Sound settings | Device Properties (Additional device properties) --> Advanced ..
"Allow applications to take exclusive control over this device"

*You might need to hunt for this setting as it seems to get buried deeper with each Windows update.
Well Noel, I tried changing from ASIO to MME, but then nothing worked. Then to WAS, and I could hear the normal BIAB playback. But neither of those options solved the riddle of the demos. So I put it back to ASIO.

However, Andrew, you hit it pretty close.

I'm using a 4 in 4 out Behringer UMC404HD, so I tried to uncheck each instance of "Allow applications to take exclusive control over this device". That got me no playback at all. Then I went back and RECHECKED the ones for outputs 1 and 2, but left those for 3 and 4 unchecked. That got it. I have no idea why, but it works. Tried both 64 bit and 32 bit. Good on both.

TheMaartian... I'm not sure if anything I did would be helpful to you, but maybe try both Noel's and Andrew's ideas and see what happens?

Thanks, guys! From my point of view, the problem is solved. Hope so for TheMaartian, as well!

Jim
© PG Music Forums