PG Music Home
In the new 2020 _Cobalt.sty Coblat Jazz Blues Guitar Trio Oliver Gannon does a sweet job on the Demo with #3480: Guitar, Electric Rhythm Jazzbluescompoily Sw 140 RT.

But on my arrangement he chokes. Turns out he does not know all the chords. No CMaj7 or GMaj7 - so he just sits those bar out.

I am not used to seeing this. Anyone else?
sometimes less is more?
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
sometimes less is more?

Larry, you are absolutely correct. However.... this style is a trio with Bass, Drum and Oliver on guitar laying down a comping pattern with the skill of a great jazz guitarist. But going silent whenever there is a GMaj7 or CMaj7 leaves the band exposed and hanging.

Next thing the bass player will think he can sit out a measure or two and then you have total anarchy with the drummer being the only one playing. And you know what happens to the audience when the drummer solos! crazy
Often when he was asked about a specific chord, Chet Atkins would say: "I don't know, you'll have to ask Dr. John Knowles."

FWIW, Dr. Knowles uses BIAB.
Dan, when this happens (very rarely), shoot an email to Support@pgmusic.com

Reference the thread and wait for a patch.

I’ve found a couple like this over the last decade. It’s probably a simple correction in an index somewhere.
Either that or he really didn’t know that chord?
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

I’ve found a couple like this over the last decade. It’s probably a simple correction in an index somewhere.

Matt, I was actually waiting for the proverbial "...works fine here response". I have learned this program is dependent upon so many system and user specific items that what appears to me to be a bug may actually be a feature. No one has taken the couple of minutes it should take to load the sample demo and then insert a CMaj7 or GMaj7 and confirm it goes silent.

Otherwise, I have become a bit calloused on these things over the years here in the forum. PGM should be monitoring their product for reported defects like any other quality organization. We should not have to email notify them. But thats just me.

And if this response sounds a bit snarky, don't worry I will delete it shortly. grin

Dan, two three things:

1: I'm pretty sure Olly knows those chords.

2: I think this is a programming issue that needs to be sorted.

3: I quickly created this song.
Even with several generations, the guitar does not play at all throughout the entire song, until the 2 bar ending on bars 5&6, which leads me back to item 2.

Attached picture 2019-12-16_09-55-00.jpg
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent

Matt, I was actually waiting for the proverbial "...works fine here response". I have learned this program is dependent upon so many system and user specific items that what appears to me to be a bug may actually be a feature. No one has taken the couple of minutes it should take to load the sample demo and then insert a CMaj7 or GMaj7 and confirm it goes silent.

Otherwise, I have become a bit calloused on these things over the years here in the forum. PGM should be monitoring their product for reported defects like any other quality organization. We should not have to email notify them. But thats just me.

And if this response sounds a bit snarky, don't worry I will delete it shortly. grin

Well, things went south here starting with the provocative post title.

I didn't test the problem at first because:
1) I wasn't at a BIAB computer
2) I believed you
3) I've seen this before, although very rarely as I mentioned

But now that I've tested the style, not only are you correct, but it's much worse than you reported. The guitar doesn't seem to play on any major seventh, major ninth, or major 13th chords. It also ignores a 6 and a 69 chord. It plays only intermittently on sus chords. However, it always plays on some chords, for example, minor chords, diminished, half-diminished and 13th chords, and it handles some advanced jazz upper chord extensions ex. 13(b9) and 7(#11).

The style itself sounds wonderful. The problems I see above confirm to me it is a programming issue. I don't think it's too much to report it to PG Music. But you don't have to; Trevor already did it.
Thank you gentleman for confirming.

Dan
Thank you gentleman for confirming.

Dan

Were you anticipating that we might have said "Dan, you've gone crazy" crazy grin
However I can reassure you that you are still of sound mind wink Merry Christmas.

(Edit: BTW, I reported this to the developers)
I hope you don’t think I wasn’t taking you seriously.

Mine was a throwaway line from my phone, I’m still not at my PC but I was sure someone, as they always do (and looks like they have), would jump in with a
Yea or Nay on duplicating

In any case – good luck

Larry
In the new 2020 _Cobalt.sty Coblat Jazz Blues Guitar Trio Oliver Gannon does a sweet job on the Demo with #3480: Guitar, Electric Rhythm Jazzbluescompoily Sw 140 RT.

But on my arrangement he chokes. Turns out he does not know all the chords. No CMaj7 or GMaj7 - so he just sits those bar out.

I am not used to seeing this. Anyone else?

Hi Dan,

Thanks very much for reporting that. Yes, it absolutely should be playing over a Cmaj7 chord, and clearly it's not for you and a bunch of other people. We're on it, and hopefully will get it fixed as soon as possible!

Tobin
Tobin, Tobin, Tobin .... the crowd chants!
Rob, is my memory fading? I have it etched indelibly in my few remaining cells of gray matter that you live in California.
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
sometimes less is more?

Next thing the bass player will think he can sit out a measure or two and then you have total anarchy with the drummer being the only one playing. And you know what happens to the audience when the drummer solos! crazy

Starts to sound like a real band ...
“Drums stop, then comes bass solo.”

That was exactly the old joke I was going for, but I messed it up! Still makes me laugh. grin
Yep, very old. Still good.

Also, time to talk.
OK, just so the joke is not just between Matt and I here it is for anyone who is new AND since this is my thread and I can hyjack it as I want... grin

Deep in the African jungle, a safari was camped for the night. In the darkness, distant drums began a relentless throbbing that continued until dawn. The safari members were disturbed, but the guide reassured them: "Drums good. When drums stop, very bad." Every night the drumming continued, and every night the guide reiterated, "Drums good. When drums stop, VERY bad." This continues for several days until one morning the drumming suddenly stops and all the natives panic and run screaming. The man asks the guide what's the matter? The guide looking very frightened says: "When drums stop, VERY, VERY bad," he said. "Why is it bad?" asked a member of the safari. "Because when drums stop, bass solo begin!"
laugh laugh laugh laugh
I knew what was coming but it still made me ROFLMAO grin grin grin

To celebrate my 500th post worthy: It may be that there are many more or less true jokes about the rhythm section, but I can say from my own experience: bass players still always get the prettiest women, without joking. :-)
Originally Posted By: Brille
To celebrate my 500th post worthy: It may be that there are many more or less true jokes about the rhythm section, but I can say from my own experience: bass players still always get the prettiest women, without joking. :-)

Brille, is that a double bass in your Avatar? Lucky guy wink
Videotrack, a double bass, yeah, you got that right. Double! Always makes double effect! cool
Originally Posted By: Brille

Not according to this lead guitarist smirk
Hi,
Just updated to 708 and #3480: Guitar, Electric Rhythm Jazzbluescompoily Sw 140 RT still isn't playing a cmaj7, anybody else tried it yet after installing 708?

Keith
Originally Posted By: Keith Horton
Hi,
Just updated to 708 and #3480: Guitar, Electric Rhythm Jazzbluescompoily Sw 140 RT still isn't playing a cmaj7, anybody else tried it yet after installing 708?

Keith

OK Keith, I am afraid to tell you, that you get the proverbial "...works fine here" comment. See score below. Oliver has no misses on these chords in v708. Do you have an mutes on in the bar setting?

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Holy crap, I just looked at the image and see the "frozen" is on. When I turned it off, Oliver went silent on most of the chords. This stuff is tricky. So I confirm your findings. Even did a return to factory settings and no joy.

And here may be a clue - the chords he does play sound like the way I would play... crazy
I did a file search on my HD and these are the only files which come back as a near hit. Don't know if this is good or bad, but it may suggest that the files are still not there in the current version.

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Yes, the patch install for 708 didn’t include the correct file for the RT 3480 fix, so issues with that single RT 3480 persist. Thanks for reporting it.

The issues is fixed in patch 709, along with other new features and fixes.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=572183#Post572183
© PG Music Forums