PG Music Home
All is in the title. I would love to hear music stories from members here.

Have you used tracks in a genre which is not the one you usually compose with only because the track was great ? Can you elaborate about the kind of 'alien' tracks you used in such a way ? And was the result good to you ?
Regularly!

I often load a style and the chords for the demo song and then just let creativity take over. Whether or not it's a favourite genre is immaterial.
You bet - here I did a cinematic arrangement and performance just by stumbling onto a great BIAB style and vibe.

https://soundcloud.com/dan-hoch-784636941/river-winding-take-1-0
Thanks all for your replies. I love to read those stories. Thanks MusicStudent that was a beautiful song!

When I listen to the demos I am like "oh I wouldn't have thought about such a genre to use in my compositions but this gives me an idea!". So I can't wait to try!

Btw, is it ok to purchase BIAB as a full downloadable option instead of ordering the external drive ? I have enough space on my pc and it would save me to wait a few days to get BIAB. Once I have all the downloadable files I guess that in any case I can copy them on my external drive and leave the RT there if I want to have a minimal install on my own drive ?
Not only RTs but MIDI as well. I can't tell you how many times I have a MIDI style selected only to find something completely different that sounded better. BiaB is great for expanding your interests in many different genres.

PS - it is also great for spending a ton of time listing to different styles! Been there- done, oops I mean still doing it!
Originally Posted By: Angelomusic
Btw, is it ok to purchase BIAB as a full downloadable option instead of ordering the external drive ? I have enough space on my pc and it would save me to wait a few days to get BIAB. Once I have all the downloadable files I guess that in any case I can copy them on my external drive and leave the RT there if I want to have a minimal install on my own drive ?

Everything UltraPak and above includes the external drive AND the download ability. When I upgrade, I download all the files immediately so I can jump right in on the PC. I use the external drive when it arrives by mail to use BIAB straight off my laptop.

When you do the install on your computer you can save all the RT and RD files to another drive. For me, main program is C:\bb and the RT/RDs are on D:\bb (a larger disk I use for media). In your case, you could use the external hard drive for these when you install the RT/RDs.
Originally Posted By: sslechta

Everything UltraPak and above includes the external drive AND the download ability. When I upgrade, I download all the files immediately so I can jump right in on the PC. I use the external drive when it arrives by mail to use BIAB straight off my laptop.

When you do the install on your computer you can save all the RT and RD files to another drive. For me, main program is C:\bb and the RT/RDs are on D:\bb (a larger disk I use for media). In your case, you could use the external hard drive for these when you install the RT/RDs.

Thank you so much for your help ! smile
The PG Music Xtra Styles paks have amazing examples of using a RealTrack from unexpected genres. While you could find these yourself, it would take a great deal of effort.
Totally - happens all the time. I'm constantly in the Style Browser, marking down my favorites so I can find them later. Here are a some of my top fave styles:

_BRITJON.STY (British Blues Invasion Piano) - Composed - this was a blast
_BLUGRSF.STY (Classic Bluegrass with Fiddle) - Working on it
_JZFUNKP.STY (Jazz Funk Groovin') - Composed
CC_COLV.STY (Adult Contemporary w/ 3 RealTrac) - Composed
HANK_G.STY (Country Honk, Acoustic Guitar)- Composed

I'd never composed a country song before - I really had no clue how the chords and progressions worked, but within a couple days I had one created. It was pretty cool. This may be off topic but the other thing that I like to do is try to jam along with the demos on random styles just to get a feel for the music and what fits with it, so sometimes I'll pick things way out of my wheelhouse and try to stretch my musical sensibilities.

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
The PG Music Xtra Styles paks have amazing examples of using a RealTrack from unexpected genres. While you could find these yourself, it would take a great deal of effort.

Thanks Matt. I always wondered what was the point of Xtra Styles Packs when we already have so many packs with BIAB (supposing that I buy the Ultrapack for instance). What is the difference between the RT and styles provided with BIAB and the Xtra packs ? What do they bring ?
Originally Posted By: EdZ314
Totally - happens all the time. I'm constantly in the Style Browser, marking down my favorites so I can find them later. Here are a some of my top fave styles:

_BRITJON.STY (British Blues Invasion Piano) - Composed - this was a blast
_BLUGRSF.STY (Classic Bluegrass with Fiddle) - Working on it
_JZFUNKP.STY (Jazz Funk Groovin') - Composed
CC_COLV.STY (Adult Contemporary w/ 3 RealTrac) - Composed
HANK_G.STY (Country Honk, Acoustic Guitar)- Composed

I'd never composed a country song before - I really had no clue how the chords and progressions worked, but within a couple days I had one created. It was pretty cool. This may be off topic but the other thing that I like to do is try to jam along with the demos on random styles just to get a feel for the music and what fits with it, so sometimes I'll pick things way out of my wheelhouse and try to stretch my musical sensibilities.

Wow that's so cool! I can't wait to have my BIAB and for sure I will listen to those styles! Funny you mentioned country because while I love listening to it (tbh I have only recently developped a liking of this style) I would be totally unable to compose or play any! But your example gives hope and motivation. Thanks!
Country is easy, or so many will tell you. (Hint: it can be but doesn't have to be. A secret, many country musicians like jazz too!) "Three Chords and the Truth" is an often quoted description that originated with country music songwriter Harlan Howard in the 1950s.

Most songs contain elements of multiple genres so whatever genre label is attached to a RealTrack likely isn't the ironclad rule you think it is. Many of the RealTracks are available with and without effects applied so even if a guitar RealTrack is drenched in reverb there maybe a guitar only variation that you can add amp and cabinet sims and effects as desired.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

Thanks Matt. I always wondered what was the point of Xtra Styles Packs when we already have so many packs with BIAB (supposing that I buy the Ultrapack for instance). What is the difference between the RT and styles provided with BIAB and the Xtra packs ? What do they bring ?

They bring a massive savings of time, and a level of expertise that most of us don't have. But if you have an ultrapak, you can spend all the time needed to explore all the permutations hoping to get something as good. Let's see, for the math folks out there, how many would that be, given five or so RealTracks per style, and thousands of styles?
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Country is easy, or so many will tell you. (Hint: it can be but doesn't have to be. A secret, many country musicians like jazz too!) "Three Chords and the Truth" is an often quoted description that originated with country music songwriter Harlan Howard in the 1950s.

Most songs contain elements of multiple genres so whatever genre label is attached to a RealTrack likely isn't the ironclad rule you think it is. Many of the RealTracks are available with and without effects applied so even if a guitar RealTrack is drenched in reverb there maybe a guitar only variation that you can add amp and cabinet sims and effects as desired.

I agree with Jim a lot of cross pollination can take place.

Somehow this week listening to styles I found something that took my fancy. I loaded the style and added some chords. I noticed the drums were really unusual pretty good with lots of fills. When I looked at the mixer panel I see I have a Drums 1. And lower down a Drums 2 track. (Never seen this before). Anyway the Drums 1 is a normal 4/4 track but the Drums 2 is a Waltz drum track. It works, but I really don’t know how this came about. Not something one would normally do in “Country Music”.

Tony
© PG Music Forums