PG Music Home
Posted By: rayc RealDrum too real? - 01/09/20 11:54 PM
Hello,
I was working with RealDrums today
Jazz#1 a) Hihat Ride & Snare - Terry Clark.
There is an AWFUL ringing tone when ever the bass/kick drum is hit.
It sounds like the toms are ringing in sympathy.
Compression makes it worse and only serious EQ carving can reduce it.
I'd considered setting up a compressor triggered EQ to reduce the ring at each kick hit but the ringing carries too long for this to be anything but destructive.
I can't believe this made it through QC.
Gating the toms would've been an easy option with multi tracks and or EQ but nothing REALLY saves this drum track from muddying the bottom end of an arrangement except boosting a bass to try to mask it - & that's not really helpful.
Here's a snippet of the track...
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/wedding-song-8-jan-bbdrums2
Posted By: Pipeline Re: RealDrum too real? - 01/10/20 01:12 AM
What tempo are you using there are 10 different tempos in
F:\bb\Drums\JazzTerryClarke^
this is the folder that
F:\bb\Drums\Jazz#1
uses.
Posted By: rayc Re: RealDrum too real? - 01/11/20 07:02 AM
Hello Pipeline,
It's not my project but the tempo is 80.
It's a very loudly, sympathetically ringing floor tom.
damping or using a different tuning could/would reduce the issue as would gating while recording.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: RealDrum too real? - 01/11/20 07:52 AM
I'm just thinking you could try another tempo like 100 and see if it's the same as it will be using
bb\Drums\JazzTerryClarke^Jazz\TerryClarke^_100_Style.wav
instead of TerryClarke^_084_Style.wav
you can drag them in a DAW track and see if they all have the same issue.
Posted By: rayc Re: RealDrum too real? - 01/11/20 07:34 PM
Thanks Pipeline,
As mentioned, it's not my project so I'm not inclined to swap parts of the arrangement.
I suppose it was recorded "as played" but it does make for problems down the line.
I suppose, also, that many folk may not notice or care about loud, long ringing overtones.
I know that the recording sessions for the 2nd round of Mellotron tapes weren't done in stellar circumstances but that was a long time ago.
C'est la guerre.
Posted By: Masi Re: RealDrum too real? - 01/12/20 05:48 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Hello,
There is an AWFUL ringing tone when ever the bass/kick drum is hit.
It sounds like the toms are ringing in sympathy.
Compression makes it worse and only serious EQ carving can reduce it.
I'd considered setting up a compressor triggered EQ to reduce the ring at each kick hit but the ringing carries too long for this to be anything but destructive.

Did you try dynamic EQ?

Masi
Posted By: rayc Re: RealDrum too real? - 01/12/20 08:32 AM
Masi,
I managed to tame it BUT any EQ will, obviously affect the overall stereo file and introduce some phase issues albeit minor ones.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: RealDrum too real? - 01/12/20 10:28 AM
BIAB's real drums are usually great when playing solo, and most real tracks sound like that too.

But in a mix with all the created 'racket' together i often found the lot sounds too muddy,
and especially to much roominess present in the recorded drumtracks for a proper sounding mix with other stuff.

Often bass and guitar sounds overlap in frequency ranges, as do bass drums, and why i almost always end up with transferring BIAB tracks to Cubase because of the better EQ-ing.
And replace the nice BIAB drums with f.i. Easy Drummer tracks.
Posted By: Masi Re: RealDrum too real? - 01/13/20 09:48 AM
Originally Posted By: fiddler2007
especially to much roominess present in the recorded drumtracks for a proper sounding mix with other stuff

Too late now, but in hindsight it would have been nice to have a separate room reverb WAV to blend-in to taste.

But after a short while we end up again with the give-us-all-the-drum-tracks-so we can do our own mixes wink

Masi
Posted By: rayc Re: RealDrum too real? - 01/14/20 04:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Masi
we end up again with the give-us-all-the-drum-tracks-so we can do our own mixes wink

I don't think this will happen though as my limited experience with BIAB users is in the User Showroom and most there seem to use the mix as presented in the mixer main page - in other words I suspect most BIAB users aren't interested in tweaking what they have or going to the rather difficult job of mixing multitracked drums.
I'd LOVE it.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: RealDrum too real? - 01/14/20 10:50 AM
I think that process has already begun with the Real Chart drums. We received close to 300 this year I expect more will come. I also prefer to start with RDs then replace them in Studio one.
rayc, I think pipeline suggestion was no to replace the drums in the project but to isolate whether the ringing was due to tempo stretching in that mix.

Any way the real charts supply midi drum to mix from the RDs. I really like that option. Who else it working with that.
Posted By: MarioD Re: RealDrum too real? - 01/14/20 11:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
I think that process has already begun with the Real Chart drums. We received close to 300 this year I expect more will come. I also prefer to start with RDs then replace them in Studio one.
rayc, I think pipeline suggestion was no to replace the drums in the project but to isolate whether the ringing was due to tempo stretching in that mix.

Any way the real charts supply midi drum to mix from the RDs. I really like that option. Who else it working with that.

I am also doing this. I look at those RD charts as unquantized MIDI files or what PGMusic calls SuperMIDI Tracks.

What some want with separate drum tracks is easily done in MIDI. Drums is one of the easiest instruments to emulate in MIDI.
© PG Music Forums